Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agricultural Science

Options
  • 18-06-2007 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Any predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Well, I have feeding of a lamb prepared, but that's not really a prediction. Such an ar*eways course. Hope the project brings me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sarahdolly

Yea that was in my mocks alrite..it is really annoyin coz such a small number of students do it nationwide an theres no revision books or anythin, i have the 2 text books but they're complete bull, yea i did the project instead of the diary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

there's an agricultural science course now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

There will be a question on genetics and there isn't too much to learn in it. It's an easy question as long as you know some definitions, how to work out a cross e.g. Rr X rr, and know a bit about mitosis and meosis.

There will be a question on soil. Know the profile of a podsol and cation exchange. That'd be the hardest question, everything else is common sense really.

Yields are important to know.

The question on scientific explanations is usually nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

ah gud ole ag science, Last and least. Thankfully Ive the project to bring me up a bit too. What did everone get in that? 3 days to do a 2 year course :p Anyone any ideas on the best areas to cover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Feddd

For learning animal production my tip is to concentrate on management and remember the following questions: Why, How long, what if you don't?

By management I mean the general care: e.g. sheep. Start your mental revision after weaning.
    Then it gos onto flushing, say why and for how long.
    Then mating, describe what happens(Not to graphically, lol :D ) and what happens if you don't do certain things and how long it gos on for.
    Then onto after mating. flushing for a while, then low feed and then high feed. Say how long you do each and what happens if you don't(Pregnancy toxemia)
    Then birth(Care of young lamb newborns, colostrum, infra red lamp etc)
    Then young lamb life i.e. creep feeding, keep lamb fed well for milk production etc.

Just do cycles like that for every animal and its easier considering managment Qs come up in animal production all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

The way I'd always do a management question is one point on:
    Feeding
    Breeding
    Housing
    Disease

It's more concise that way, because I find I could write pages and pages on the birth and care of a calf until weaning.

Dermot-cover tillage crops-if it comes up, nice and easy. Ag Science is a short course anyway, you'd get it covered by Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭melsman

on wikipedia it says that agricultural science and biology cannot be used together for points. is this true? because ive a friend who is doing both and he wants 560 or something like that! it wouldnt surprise if it is true because our career guidance teacher is a retard and wouldnt know otherwise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_cert#Applied_Sciences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

melsman wrote:
    on wikipedia it says that agricultural science and biology cannot be used together for points. is this true? because ive a friend who is doing both and he wants 560 or something like that! it wouldnt surprise if it is true because our career guidance teacher is a retard and wouldnt know otherwise

Absolute nonsense!no offence intended :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sarahdolly

melsman wrote:

Definately not true, im doin both! it used to be like that but its chaged now! the CAO wud have specified anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

wikipedia wrote:
    # Higher level is informally called Honours.
    # Ordinary level is informally called Tard-Level.

Just to show how wrong that article is. Anyone can edit wikipedia its not always
    right, well maybe sometimes. :eek: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

It's fine for points but sometimes, as in Trinity, you can't present Agscience and Biology as the two science subjects needed.

Advertisement