Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFX - anyone beaten Penance?

Options
  • 18-06-2007 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I killed all the dark aeons without using Yojimbo. And I've unlocked Penance, but he seems impossible. I know I really shouldn't be asking this in the middle of my leaving cert, but anyone got any advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Play a different game. I can't see the enjoyment you could be getting from the hours of boring levelling up needed to stand a chance against Penance and how small the reward is.

Failing that use Yojimbo or go to www.gamefaqs.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Games are more important than leaving cert :p

Who needs to know the feelings conveyed in Seamus Heaneys poetry when your tryin to kill some boss or some kid over in holland :cool:

joke

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Guinea

Ah I'm kinda in love with FFX and never wanna stop playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Play a different game. I can't see the enjoyment you could be getting from the hours of boring levelling up needed to stand a chance against Penance and how small the reward is.

Failing that use Yojimbo or go to www.gamefaqs.com.

I disagree. Penance is the ultimate challenge in any FF game, and the hardest FF boss that's ever been created, the reward is the fact that you actually beat him.
    I recently did it while I had 2 weeks off before heading away for the summer and I'm glad I did, think my playtime after was 106 hours or something, but I've never had a more challenging boss experience in an FF game, or possibly any game (though Yiazmat in FFXII comes close)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

The one thing about Penance is that I think he can still cause you trouble even when your stats are maxed out. With all those other super-bosses it was merely a case of doing a bit of aul levelling up and then you're laughing.

Still though, poopsocking your way to full stats is not in the least bit enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I think needing to level up all the way to beat a boss is a bit crap. You should get away with being a relatively low level, but with good tactics to beat the boss. Its why i think the best "ultimate" boss is the Ruby Weapon. You didn't need to be level 100 if you had a good set up of materia.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

I beat him... like 2 years ago :p You don't need full stats... you need full stats except luck :p which can be around 150 I guess...

I've got around 170 hours on my file... still haven't maxed that damn luck! But then again I only play it once every few months :p

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭DaXiS

Max stats(luck to around 130,I can't really remember)

After that, just learn a system to beating him.

Wakka is a must. Rest can be done easiest with any combination of Tidus, Yuna, Auron and Rikku of course. Last thing I did in my file (160 hours) was beat him and I've never played it again....cos theres no reason to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Ozma... Now there was a superboss...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

i killed all dark aeons, without yojimbo, completed the entire battle arena and killed nemises. i got all the celestial weapons levelled up completely which took a few days just to get kimahri's and lulu's.... all of my characters are full stats on everything except luck which is bout 190. i killed penance using a gamefaq and it took me almost an hour for the actual battle.

ANYWAY the point of the story is that I have nearly 250 hours on the trot... thats more than 10 twenty four hour days... jaysus:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Ok well firstly having everyones clestial weapons fully powered up is a must, as is the best armor for AT LEAST 5 people (ribbon, auto-hast, auto phoenix, break HP limit).You'll also need 255 in pretty much every stat EXCEPT magic, I had 255 in magic and it was a complete waste (specially considering how long it took to get it).Instead of getting 255 in Magic i'd suggest giving yourself more HP.

Anyways my stats for beating him was everyone with 255 in all stats (bar luck which was at 160) and health round 60000-65000.However like I said earlier you should definitely cut back on the magic stat, and pump up your HP.Would make things much easier (you'd be surprised at the difference 4400 HP would make, ie 200 magic stat frees up another 11 spaces on the sphere grid which can then be filled with 400 HP spheres).Anyways good look!basically took my entire summer to do everything in that game, ended up reworking the entire sphere grid....twas madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 -Syn-

penance was tough but i beat him and clocked up 108 hours of play, such an amazing game! played through it so many times!
    just have to beat yiazmat in FFXII now even though ive had the game for a year
    its great also but nothing beats FFX!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How much of a difference does the luck stat in these games make?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Luck increases your chance of a capped hit, critical hit chance and sometimes i think it works for defence myself { miss/evade etc } just my 2c though.

Oh yeah, beaten penance myself, tough fecker alright but fell like everything else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Luck increases your chance of a capped hit, critical hit chance and sometimes i think it works for defence myself { miss/evade etc } just my 2c though.

Yeah it affects the chance of getting a critical hit alright. It also plays a part in how likely you are to hit an enemy and how likely an enemy is to hit you.

Knowing the internet I'm sure someones done all the necessary maths and written a 70 page guide.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Somebody figured out the logarithms behind FF1 already although the luck stat hasn't been figured out yet.

Advertisement