Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a new machine for Linux use

• 18-06-2007 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

Dell are wrecking my head. They're the best value (cheapest) I can find for a new PC, but the deals I've been looking at all contain Vista premium, a free printer or MS Works or whatever.

I want to buy a machine without an OS or with a Linux variant pre-installed. I will then add some MS OS and Office later to dual boot. I can get MS apps free (legally) through work. So, I want to avoid the Windows tax when buying a machine and get the maximum hardware specs for my buck. Can anyone point me in the right direction in Ireland for buying a decent configurable machine? My budget is about €800.

Hoping to get a decent dual core (AMD), 2GB RAM & a reasonable graphics card for this.

Sound,
    D.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could try for the windows refund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Or ask them when they plan to launch Dimensions with Ubuntu (or no OS) in Europe as they've done in the US recently.
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/alliances/en/linux?c=ie&cs=iegent1&l=en&s=gen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

www.komplett.ie
    System builder, no operating system :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Try the Dell outlet on E-bay. You'll get a decent enough machine for €300-€400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

you could try for the windows refund
    http://www.thealternative.ch/tiki-index.php?page=Software-Refund-en

Just tried the same thing myself. Got the laptop, installed Ubuntu, and want my tax back :)

I'll let you know how I get on with them.

• Advertisement

My mail:
    Hello
    I received the machine, the ordering went flawlessly. Thank you! :-) Unfortunately, it was not possible to order/buy the machine without Windows Vista. I do not need Windows Vista and would like to make use of my right to return it. I declined the license and have re-partitioned and formatted the Laptop and installed Ubuntu Linux. So, the conditions as designated in the Dell/Vista-license are fulfilled
    and I would like to get the purchase price for Windows Vista Business refunded. Please inform me about how to proceed further. Thank you!
    And the reply I just got:
    Thank you for contacting Dell Online Customer Care.

I will refund you the cost of Windows Vista Business which you should receive within 5-7 working days.

Meanwhile, if you have any further queries, please do not hesitate in replying directly to this mail and I will be glad to assist you.

Kind Regards,
    Dell Customer Care.

Now that's a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Nice one Macros. :)

Did you get the E520/E521?

It's a laptop I got - the Inspiron 6400. New desktop is a self-build - E6400/2gb/8800GTS/650W Corsair/2*750Gb Barracudas/Asus P5b-E/Thermaltake Armor full tower. Thats on bunty too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Great news, that's 3 people who've gotten a refund from Dell Ireland, so far that I know of. Would you care to share with us how much they're refunding you? (It would be helpful as a guide for anyone else considering doing the same thing.)

Forgot to reply to this sorry - the refund was for about €40 for Vista Business.

• Advertisement
Advertisement