Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats Your Brand?

• 18-06-2007 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

We're turning into a nation of label whores...

SO, What's your brand? Are you a Pennys and A-wear type of girl or are you a Dior and Fendi type of girl.

As for the boys are you a ( guessing wildly here) Jack and Jones boy or a Armani wearing smooth mover??!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

anything as long as it looks good and the quality/looks of the item is reflected in the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Who cares? Honestly... If you think the brand you wear says something about you, then all it does is highlight just how shallow a human being you are.

Abercrombie and Fitch
    River Island
    Topman
    Hollister
    Aeropostale

Edit:I must be shallow then:L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Shelly23

ah here now, unbunch the knicks Karl.. bit of fun here, noone ever assumed this was to dictate your social status! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Shelly23 wrote:
    ah here now, unbunch the knicks Karl.. bit of fun here, noone ever assumed this was to dictate your social status! :)

I never said anything about social status. Is that what you think a brand name reflects? Someone's social status? So someone who wears Armani is higher up on the social rung than someone who wears something from Penny's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Actually the whole argument of how people use fashion as a specious way of defining their personalities would be a useful thread on say, the humanities forum.

Anywhere except the fashion and appearance forum really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm a buy-what-I-like kinda girl, so I dont go for brands. I can safely say that most of my clothes come from Penneys, but not the "fashion" stuff - just black skirts and vest tops, which I wear a LOT. I can also safely say that the most expensive item of clothing I own are my Doc Marten boots which were €130.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Mainly River Island or that level with a bit of designer and cheapy thrown in.
    I'll spend more on handbags or shoes sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Abercrombie and Fitch
    River Island
    Topman
    Hollister
    Aeropostale

And if you're mixing A&F with River Island, you must be blind too :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Brand names are so important over here that many fashion lines now put the collar labels on the outside so that everyone can see them. What's next? Glow in the dark? Arrows pointing to the label?

Sure, ball caps, Ts, and sweat shirts have had them for a long time. But what is so cool about giving Nike free advertising (or realising that you paid top euro for the right to advertise their product)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Brand names are so important over here that many fashion lines now put the collar labels on the outside so that everyone can see them. What's next? Glow in the dark? Arrows pointing to the label?
    Worse.... some clothes designs are 100% the brand themselves.
    Tommy Hilfiger had lots of tops that was just the blue, white and red shape logo design.
    *shutter at the thought*

On topic: I just try and by stylish, good quality clothes.
    For work clothes, Next do a great job.
    Kinda mix and match otherwear from a rake load of different shops. I like the funky stuff in Urban Outfitters and Sabotage.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Ralph Lauren prob my fav
    lacoste
    Hugo Boss
    American Eagle
    A&F <----has totally gone C as M! it is unbelievable how many ppl u see wearing it now.
    Quicksilver
    Billabong
    Pepe London
    G-star
    Dolce and Gabanna
    Prada

they would be my favourite clothing brands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

penny's ftw, can't believe everybody doesn't shop there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Shelly23

Yeah i have to agree with a few people here. i go both sides of the line.. I buy pennys for cheap and cheerful everyday clothes that'll be worn to death. Then on the other hand i worked in BT's for a few years so picked up a horrible addiction to the high end fashion too, but i'd only ever splash out if i absolutely had to have the item :) Stupid BT's... destroying my bank balance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I have a d&g suit that i like to wear, then i grew some balls and realised that a name on an item of clothing doesnt mean its good. Now i wear no name stuff, and all that stuff that i used to think wasnt mainstream turnes out it was (dc and so on)... I think if im going to be tied down to a label it would be converse, simply because i have so many pairs of them - and its not a fashon thing, they are just too damn comfy!
    Abercrombie and Fitch
    River Island
    Topman
    Hollister
    Aeropostale

Nah, just no mind of your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

red_ice wrote:
    Why the personal attack on that poster? Exactly why I didn't post up about the brands I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

A mix of anything I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Abercrombie, Topshop, River-island, Penny's, Miss Selfridge, Berseka, Awear.

Why the personal attack on that poster? Exactly why I didn't post up about the brands I like.

its not a personal attack. Is a mass attack - hey, if you wanna wear cloths just because they have a name by all means, you do your thing and be happy about it, each to their own... but at the end of the day, your only limited to what those close minded stores decide to put on the shelves - which is what they determine as fashion.

You end up buying 3/4 different styles of clothing(which are pre-matched by the store). It leaves little to the imagination when you shop is said stores. And when you do shop in those places your considered 'fashionable' - im sorry, being a sheep isnt fashionable imo!

Where do you think these shops get the latest trends? Its off the people who wear something new, and don't go with the flow, thats how good style gets rinsed and taken down a peg. It happens when places like said stores try and copy that style and make it their own and cling on to the new thing for dear life in the hope noone notices that the shop next door is doing the exact same thing.

Thats not fashion!

*Angel* wrote:
    A mix of anything I like.

thats fashion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

what ever makes me look best.

I'm a t-shirt and jeans type of person. So whatever jeans fit the best (if they are a particular brand so be it but i buy them for fit and look not brand) and whatever t-shirt is clean and comfortable.

I do have a pair of seven jeans though and I have to say they are very comfortable and really well made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I don't buy clothes with advertising on them and I try not to buy sweatshop made clothing.

Also, price is an issue. If something's nice, but a total rip off, I won't buy it. I don't really believe in the "it lasts longer" or "it's better quality" if it costs more principle of spending lots of money on clothes, because although it might be true in some cases, it certainly isn't true all the time and I'm not an expert in judging the quality of fabric in a shop.

What brands do I like? Honestly, I think that's a stupid question. "What type of clothes do you like?" would be a far better one IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Hermes, bjorn borg, sea avenue, nudie,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭uniquechic

Really it all comes down to what I like and what suits me! I love pennys for jewellery and tops that I can always afford but for things like jeans I'm more likely to go to somewhere like topshop to get jeans that are a better quality. I buy for quality mostly so I do buy nike things but they do tend to last longer than pennys best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

red_ice wrote:
    thats fashion!

Thanks for bestowing that that tablet of wisdom upon us, mate. Are you going to sort out the Middle East next?
    togster wrote:
    bjorn borg

As in the tennis player togster? Didn't know he had a clothes line..

stovelid wrote:
    Thanks for bestowing that that tablet of wisdom upon us, mate.

anytime 'mate' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

red_ice wrote:

Leave out the personal attacks.Nobody has given you any abuse about your fashion sense and you have no right to attack other people.
    The person who you attacked has a hell of a lot more to brag about when i come to fashion sense than you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

electric69 wrote:
    Leave out the personal attacks.Nobody has given you any abuse about your fashion sense and you have no right to attack other people.
    The person who you attacked has a hell of a lot more to brag about when i come to fashion sense than you
    Spot on. No need to resort to that.

i never said i had a sense of fashon did i? :) What i do know is now i have an idea where you shop also.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Most of my clothes are from Jack & Jones and Next, or are simply unmarked. My cousin worked in J&J for years so I regularly bought stuff in there at a discount (as well as receiving various items from there every Xmas!) and I've a habit of wandering into Next on Grafton Street occasionally.

My wardrobe is inspired purely out of laziness, to be honest. I can usually get semi reasonable stuff in those two places and I can rarely be arsed looking further afield! Though further inspection reveals a few items with Gap, Blue Harbour, Reiss, Pink, Levis and various other more obscurely named labels. Woo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

karl kani

a bathing ape

billionaire boys club

g-star

stussy

fenchurch

size?

shoe wise it's DC, DVS, or Osiris all the way, although i've been seeing a surprising amount of nice Nikes around again lately... don't think i could bring myself to buy a pair though (not that they're the only shoes made in sweatshops mind you; but they pretty much fall apart within weeks in my experience)

t-shirt wise it's all about the limited run graffitti artist lines, few shops in temple bar stock some nice fresh stuff from designers all over the place...

nine times out of ten though you'll see me in a t-shirt and hoodie i blagged off a record label

red_ice wrote:

Was that really necessary.It is what I like.What stuff do River Island or Topman have where they have their brand name on the front of any of their clothes ie American Eagle,Nike style?

Have got into J.crew and Banana republic over in new York now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭*tOpLaSs

Ah sure, whatever looks good..
    I have a bit of everything.. Designer, surf brands, high street, retro.. Whatever tbh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't have a favourite clothing brand - I tend to wear what I like.

however, I do have a weakness for Irregular Choice shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Male: i usually wear designer jeans(Tommy H, Ralph Lauren) with high street tops(Pull & Bear,River Island)

I don't buy designer jeans just for the label.They do look a lot better.You can tell they are high-quailty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

For me, it's much more about the cut and the material than the label. I'd much prefer a classic cashmere sweater from M&S to a plain cotton jumper form BTs that's the same price simply because it says Tommy Hilfiger on it. I also hate, hate, hate clothing with really obvious labels and brand names written on it; I don't pay money for clothes so that I be a walking advertisement. In fact, most of the clothes I prefer in Brown Thomas's and similar shops are things with no exterior brand or label. I find it rather amusing in Brown Thomas to see how many of what I would consider merely brands are considered 'designer' by other people. I also try to avoid those companies most infamous for sweatshop practices and I love american apparel clothes for making this possible.

Mostly, my clothes come from oasis, m&s, whistles, coast, awear, penneys, wherever I see pretty, classic things ... I try to combine more expensive items with high street. I like to buy from American internet sites also to take advantage of the currency but also to get things which nobody else will have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

stovelid wrote:
    As in the tennis player togster? Didn't know he had a clothes line..
    Yeah he has his own line. Does nice clothes and even better shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭misssouthside

I'm definitely a mix. I love Juicy Couture and Abercrombie, but I only have one item from each brand. I don't see the point of buying looooooads of stuff from a designer. I buy all my sweatshirts and jeans in A|Wear, jewellery and tops and skirts from Penneys. For te shoes: Fuggs, Dubes and anything I pick up in Penneys. I hate all the Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger T-Shirts.
    I bought a Juicy handbag because I knew I'd have it for years...better then buying a new handbag every week from Penneys, no?
    I got Dubes because they're comfy, last for ages.
    Fuggs because they look the same as Uggs but are so much cheaper...but still warm. basically everything I buy is about comfort and price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I go for comfort, i never mix and match. I have a bit from Marks and Spencer (only cause my other half works there and has a staff discount). I usually get tops, cardi's and tshirts there. For work, next, dunnes and good old pennys. Picked up a good bit in the gap in NY 2 years ago and their jeans last ages as do tommy hilfiger and they look weel with age. My shoes are pennys all the pay and dubes (just cause they are comfy). Pennys is good as it has up to the minute style at reasonable prices and its great for nightwear and handbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

i ususally walk into some shops to look around, and buy something if I like it. Shops being, RiverIsland, Tribe, Berska, Topman, Jack & Jones.

Some clothes i like names on them, others I don't. I like Oakley and Quiksilver clothing, and they usually have a small name or their logo which isn't in your face.

Sometimes it's better to have the logo or name on the back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

i ususally walk into some shops to look around, and buy something if I like it.

I'm like that too. Though I do love River Island. I don't know what it is, but every time I go there, I see something that I absolutely have to have. I also like Topshop, A-Wear, Bershka, Oasis. I love Penney's for flats, trainers sometimes, socks, and cute t-shirts. I also love Abercrombie and Fitch, but I've never bought anything there. I can't afford it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

A bit of Ted Baker, FCUK, Lacoste, Paco Jeans (Best jeans me thinks:) ), TDK, Nike ( I hate t-shirts that have huge Nike signs on them!!!), Diesel, Reebok, Adidas

I like wearing american college hoodies aswell. Im building up a collection of them. My favourite being Notre Dame and Michigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'm not really into brands that much but I am an adidas originals fetishisht. I've spent hideous money on some of that stuff. I just love really gaudy 70's/80's sportswear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm not a brandwhore but I simply LOVE Topshop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I shop anywhere! but my wardrobe mainly consists of:
    Awear, pennies, dunnes, topshop, new look, and i get alot of stuff online too, some bench stuff, love bench.

Advertisement