Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two pubs in Question?

Options
  • 18-06-2007 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any info on whats happening with The Crows Nest( out by County hall) and The Western Star (Western rd.)?

All the pubs on this side of town seem to be closing for re-development which is a shame really! Plus these two both made a mint and would probably make more now than ever if they were open. So whats happening?

Anyone want to set up a consortium and buy one? I could put together bout e1300 at a push! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The Western Star is the worst bar in the world. Perhaps the Wash...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

both equally terrible...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Maybe I am missing out on something (didn't go to college in Cork) but the Western Star is a kip. The beers from tap taste awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If you were a UCC student, for the Summer BBQs (before and during exam time), xmas, and class parties, The Star was the best pub ever! Any other night - yes, it was fairly lame and generally avoided by myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

The crows nest is still being refurbished from the fire. That'll be opening again i presume.
    plans have been submitted to the planning office and refused twice,
    saw some drawings to it... huge, the first proposal was around the same height as the county hall, absolutely huge. they have had to scale it back though, but ya it is going a head and it will be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Maybe I am missing out on something (didn't go to college in Cork) but the Western Star is a kip. The beers from tap taste awful.

When I started in UCC in 1996, before we all got mobiles, it was a spot where you were always guaranteed to meet friends. The cavern out the back, with the drums for tables, and sawdust on the floors, was a great spot. Disgusting, dirty, bad beer but a great atmosphere.

The cavern was cleaned up a few years later and then the whole pub got cleaned up around 2000. It lost a lot of its charm then, became just like every other large shi*tehole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

With regards to The Star, the 'yard' and back part of the bar are being turned into a medical facility with a couple of GPs to be based there. The front part of the bar is supposed to reopen in September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

plans have been submitted to the planning office and refused twice,
    saw some drawings to it... huge, the first proposal was around the same height as the county hall, absolutely huge. they have had to scale it back though, but ya it is going a head and it will be huge.

Hasn't the pub license for the Crow's Nest been moved to Mai Fitz's in Lissarda as the same guy owns both? Well thats what i heard anyway but dunno if there's any truth in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Hasn't the pub license for the Crow's Nest been moved to Mai Fitz's in Lissarda as the same guy owns both? Well thats what i heard anyway but dunno if there's any truth in it.
    yes your right same guy owns both, but her bought Mai Fitz with its licensee intact.
    as for the GP thing in the back of the crows....that is all part of the planning application along with 50/100 apartment's above the medical center and the existing bar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement