Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raleigh Winner tribute

Options
  • 18-06-2007 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

A tribute to my 20 year old Raleigh Winner Sports Bike / In 1990 I promised a friend that I would do the annual "London to Brighton" Bike ride . . . (Sixty Miles) in aid of the BHF (British heart Foundation) so I had to get my hands on a Bike quickly & cash was pretty scarce back then.

My Dad had told me that he once bought a Bike in the Police Bike auction in Clapham (London) which is held once a month I think, so twenty years after he bid for a (lost property bike) I bid £28.00 GBP and had myself a pretty good RALEIGH WINNER . . . . . :)

I did the London to Brighton inc several Pub stops :D and then took to cycling to work every other day right through the 90s on my trusty old steed until about 1998 when I bought a second hand mountain Bike with slick (Fat Boy) tyres, beautiful Bike 'beautiful handlebar gears' as opposed to the Raleigh's gears down between my legs. The mountain Bike then took over & took me to work every other day, and I even did a 'London to Brighton' on it once, until the crankshaft bearings wore out just last week .................. so guess whats been dusted down given a new set of 27x1.1/4 tyres, New handlebar tape, New 'Selle Royal' Gel saddle, New brake blocks .........oh yes, its me old Winner brought back to life in the nick of time for the "Capital to Coast" Bike ride (London > Hove) Sixty miles + and the old girl should go like a Rocket, but not before I give her a New paint job & a New front wheel which has become rusty!

God bless the RALEIGH WINNER ( I know she is nothing special in the Biking world) but to me she is special, goes like the clappers & eats mountain bikes for breakfast (zips past them) & has another couple of years in her before I say goodby to her and buy a New Racer of some description.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Have you got a picture of it?

I saw a white Peugeot racer today in town which, I'm sure, dates back to the early 1980s. Thing is, it was in superb nick and as clean as a whistle. I don't know how anyone keeps a white bike white on the roads of Dublin in wet weather like this. Just cycling through puddles causes oily dirt to spray up onto the rims and frame...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Will post picture later today (Tuesday/19th) ...............

Advertisement