Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to back up AVI files to data DVD?

• 18-06-2007 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My H/D is filling up with AVI files and I want to back them up on DVD to make space. I do not need to watch them on a DVD player so I'm not interested in converting them to MPEG for that purpose. I have Nero but it doesn't not seem to burn AVI to Data DVDs. Is this possible? Do I need new burning software, can I do it for free?

Thanks,
    Kaz.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i do it with nero, just burn them to data dvd and it works out fine.

just so happens my dvd player plays these files too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Do you have a dvd burner installed? U should be able to burn a data dvd with nero unless it a very old version (i.e pre dvd).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Try CDBurnerXP

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Yes I have a DVD writer installed - this is the error I get with Nero regardless of the burn speed selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Are you using dvd-r or dvd+r or dvd-rw or dvd+rw discs ~?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

I use VSO ConvertXtodvd

higster wrote:
    I use VSO ConvertXtodvd
    Read the OP message, wants to burn to dvd without converting....

Can you burn CD's? U need to check that there isn't a hardware prob with the burner. If u cant burn at 1x there is something very wrong. Try upgrading the burner firmware and install ASPI on the pc if it's not already there.

I cannot burn anything to DVD. Last night I tried a single word doc and a single jpeg. I'm not at home now so I can't check CDs but they were burning fine before. I have never burnt a DVD with this machine.

Ok I've done some scooting around on the net now that it's not a Nero problem. This seems to be common enough and the most common suggestion seems to be to update the firmware.

I'm a bit nervous of this especially as the warnings say you can kill your drive totally.

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/NEC-ND-6750A/

There is a risk involved in flashing with experimental firmware,
    so if you do not wish to assume this risk, please do not flash your drive!
    Detailled information on how to flash this file can be found at
    http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/how2flash/

I also d/led this: Nero CD-DVD Speed and I am getting "no additional sense information" error which kind of points to the same thing.

They recommend removing the drive and 'flashing' it from another PC but this is the only machine I have.

I'm feeling a bit out of my depth, has anyone any experience doing this?

This is my drive http://www.de.nec.de/productdetail.php?id=1533
    However it is discontinued even though it's less than 12 months old
    So the update is not available directly from the manufacturer. NEC also saw that a firmware update will not fix the problem as Fujitsu Siemens have altered the drive in some way.

I am using DVD-R 8x 4.7GB but I think that is irrelevent. I have tried a few different brands.

Yes, flashing ur drive has the potential to bork it! Having said that I've flashed several drives with no problems. Follow the instructions carefully...

DVD burners are getting cheaper by the day, so if all goes wrong just get a more up-to-date one :D

degsie wrote:
    Yes, flashing ur drive has the potential to bork it! Having said that I've flashed several drives with no problems. Follow the instructions carefully...

DVD burners are getting cheaper by the day, so if all goes wrong just get a more up-to-date one :D

Yikes any idea on how often these things generally go wrong?
    Money is tight at the moment :(
    It's only about 9 months old - do you think I'd have any comeback with the shop?

Thanks for the reply!

• Advertisement
Advertisement