Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can someone help me txt my friends in New Zealand please

• 18-06-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Hiye, my frienda are in New Zealand and bought a sim card out there. They txted me today using the NZ sim card but i cant reply to it. Is there a prefix i need to use before the number, i tried 353 but i think thats just Ireland/Europe prefix???

Appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

If you reply to the text it should work fine as it already has the prefix (which I think is +61 or something)

If replying doesn't work and you're billpaid give your network a call as they ofter place international restrictions on accounts that can be removed by request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

www.numberingplans.com says that the country code for New Zealand is +64.

So if your mates number is 1234567, SMS +641234567.

Ask your mate what network he's on and then ask your network if they have a SMS agreement with them.

There should be an sms agreement if they received a text from the friend, but if you want to double check you can try here: http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

ciaranfo wrote:

So if your mates number is 1234567, SMS +641234567.
    That may be slightly misleading.
    His number will probably start with a "0", and this must be dropped.
    So if his number is 0111 2222 3333, you dial +64111 2222 3333.

cast_iron wrote:
    That may be slightly misleading.
    His number will probably start with a "0", and this must be dropped.
    So if his number is 0111 2222 3333, you dial +64111 2222 3333.
    Fair point :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

as people have said just replying should work. could you post up the first 5 or 6 digits of the number it appeared to come from? not the whole number obviously

also, what network are you on and bill or pre pay

failsafe wrote:
    There should be an sms agreement if they received a text from the friend, but if you want to double check you can try here: http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml
    not necessarily as people with 3 found. 3 were so good with networks that they didn't have sms agreements with that you wouldn't just get the message once, you'd get it 100 times just in case you accidentally deleted it without reading it the first 99 times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Hmmm, his number is coming up as +642-1184xxxx (its 8 numbers long without the 642)
    If i just try reply to number it says "Message sending failed, Try again later".
    Is the +642 the equivilent on +353 or the equivilent to 086/087?
    Ive an O2 credit phone by the way.

Nuttzy wrote:
    Hmmm, his number is coming up as +642-1184xxxx (its 8 numbers long without the 642)
    If i just try reply to number it says "Message sending failed, Try again later".
    Is the +642 the equivilent on +353 or the equivilent to 086/087?
    Ive an O2 credit phone by the way.
    does his number actually have a "-" in it or did you put that in yourself? if its there, take it out when texting him

+64 is the equivalent of +353, the 2 is the start of his number, the equivalent of the 8 in 087.

an irish number in international format would change from 0871234567 to +353871234567, ie you drop the 0. if you were in new zealand you'd call him by calling 021234567

i'll take a look now and see if o2 speakeasy can text NZ

edit: try sending to 006421184xxxx

ie change the + to 00 and drop the - if its there of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

does his number actually have a "-" in it or did you put that in yourself? if its there, take it out when texting him

+64 is the equivalent of +353, the 2 is the start of his number, the equivalent of the 8 in 087.

an irish number in international format would change from 0871234567 to +353871234567, ie you drop the 0. if you were in new zealand you'd call him by calling 021234567

i'll take a look now and see if o2 speakeasy can text NZ

edit: try sending to 006421184xxxx

ie change the + to 00 and drop the - if its there of course

SWEET!!!!!! :D
    Good on ya,,, i used the "00" as you sugested and it sent, got a delivery report too. The "-" wasnt in the number, i just put that in.
    Thanks a million mate, thats great, saved me the hassle of ringing O2 and all that.
    Thanks to the others that replied too. :)

• Advertisement

Why would 00 work and not + ?

ciaranfo wrote:
    Why would 00 work and not + ?
    the + isn't a worldwide standard. neither is the 00

I was under the impression that the + was a universal GSM standard. Hmm..

ciaranfo wrote:
    I was under the impression that the + was a universal GSM standard. Hmm..
    i thought so too but apparently not :)

That's very odd, as ciaranfo and c.vimes said I thought + was the "always work" one with 00 being the 'maybe'. learn something new everyday!

I'm just thinking about it more ... the 00 or the + shouldn't even reach the other network - it's just a signal to your operator that you're dialing international and that the international prefix is coming up .. isn't it?

Advertisement