Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sgt.Pepper must die!

Options
  • 18-06-2007 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

http://music.guardian.co.uk/rock/story/0,,2102991,00.html#article_continue

interesting article, opinions? either on the opinions given or your own overrated "classics".

Personally, the Kooks guy has some nerve, given his own outpit.

That, and the Cornershop comment smacks somewhat of jealously. Pink Floyd and Radiohead are successful, and the small, "indie" attitude to it is to attack them as being hypocrites or unworthy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I partally agree with the conershop comment in that I cant stand pink floyd but I quite like radiohead. Most of them at least make a fair point even where I dont agree with them
    What kind of heathen dislikes the Velvet Underground and Nico?
    Novelist and music lover Ian Rankin gives his reasons

While I think that white light white heat is far superior and the third velvets album maybe slightly better the velvets debut is still fantastic. Any anyone that makes an argument with "The Doors did it better" is immidiatly deemed invalid the Doors are boring as hell and Jim Morrission is quite possibly the worst lyricist of all time.
    I'm not slamming Television - I respect them. But Marquee Moon is an album I admire more than enjoy.

You see I can respect that he is wrong but I can respect his opinion.(maybe because he also critisies the doors is said review)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Its nice to hear reasoned criticism of canonical records even if I do love most of the albums listed.

Green Gartside views are always interesting and I agree with him on the AF.

The critique of the Stone Roses is feeble though. Badgering DJs for playing it indeed, the mediocre indie f*ckwit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Nice article. they got it spot on with most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I agree with stovelid. Being a big fan of the Stone Roses, I was almost looking forward to a well thought out discussion. It was a very feeble effort.
    "They covered Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme FFS" is hardly a compelling arguement.
    And blaming them for Oasis, whatever your opinion on Oasis, is also a bit misguided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Most of those albums (even Is This It and Arrival) and bands (Stone Roses, Beatles, Velvet Underground, Beach Boys, Nirvana, The Smiths) are terrific, imo, so I ain't gonna to bother reading some drivel from a Sugababes singer, or better still, someone else I've never even heard of. I could write a great damning critique of the Red Hot Chilli Pepper's Californication album, but then I wouldn't expect others to bother it reading either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

kinaldo wrote:
    I could write a great critique of the Red Hot Chilli Pepper's Californication album, but then I wouldn't expect others to bother it reading either.
    what?? you mean the all time best album ever that isnt even the chili peppers best album?? go on be brave...i want to see your full in dept critique

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

kinaldo wrote:
    Most of those albums (even Is This It and Arrival) and bands (Stone Roses, Beatles, Velvet Underground, Beach Boys, Nirvana, The Smiths) are terrific, imo, so I ain't gonna to bother reading some drivel from a Sugababes singer, or better still, someone else I've never even heard of. I could write a great damning critique of the Red Hot Chilli Pepper's Californication album, but then I wouldn't expect others to bother it reading either.

i agree.

i read this thread a few days ago and kept on thinking about how can some bloke from cornershop come out and slag off dark side of the moon.

some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

i read this thread a few days ago and kept on thinking about how can some bloke from cornershop come out and slag off dark side of the moon.

I hear this kind of phrase used a lot and in anoyes the hell out of me
    I may start another thread on it to stop this one going on a complete tangent
    You dont need to have created great works of art yourslef to be able to have an opinion on other art.
    If I go to a resturant and I eat meal "X" just becase I cant cook meal "X" doesant man I cant say meal "X" tastes crap.
    The bloke from cornershop is perfectly entitled to his opinion on dark side.
    Just becase cornershop werent the greatest band of all time doesnt mean he cant have an opinion on the album.
    Im not in a band and im of roulghy the same opinion of the album (Bar the anti radiohead reference)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

All it is, is a guys opinion of albums. He refers to lyrics a few times, but my take on it is that I couldnt give 2 funks about the lyrics most of the time, as long as the whole muscial package is good, then ill like the track.

Advertisement