Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom drops monthly FWA charges but...

Options
  • 18-06-2007 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Install charges are still high and the product is still elusive

(Thanks to NetWhizKid for pointing this out)

I'd link but the site has sessions so the links expire. Grrr. Just search for fixed wireless on eircom.ie

eircom fixed wireless access frequently asked questions

Q1. How much is the connection fee (once off charge) and what does it cover?

You pay a once-off connection of €631.39 (inc. VAT) / 521.81 (ex. VAT). This covers the cost of the modem, antenna and full technician installation.

Q2. How much are my monthly costs?

Prices start at €24.99 (inc. VAT) / €20.65 (ex. VAT).

Q5. What speeds will I get?

You get upstream of up to 64k (64 kilobits per second). You get download speeds of 512k (512 kilobits per second).

Q9. When I order, how soon does this arrive?

When you place your order, the lead-time will be 28 days.

Q10. How long do I have to sign up for?

You need to sign up for a minimum of 12 months.
    How do I order?

Call us for FREE on 1800 503 303.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

€631 to install? :eek: Christ, that's crazy! And diabolical speeds this day and age to accompany that incredible installation fee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unidentifiable

I am guessing Eircom are anticipating a quick move by our new Minister so they are pre-empting this by reducing the FWA price. So further reductions and service improvements may be on the way.

Is the statement
    "Accessible in 63 areas of the country: where DSL is unavailable."
    on the Eircom website not a little self incriminating.
    63 Areas, radius of signal 15Km by their own measures = 44509 Km Sq of emerald isle that is in the dark. Hope my 1980's maths don't embarrass me!!

When you consider we only have 70,280 Km Sq of Terra Firma to start with, this really hi-lights the dismal performace of Eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do they have coverage maps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Bond-007 wrote:
    Do they have coverage maps?

HahhhaahhhhaahahahahahahahhaahhHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHhahahahahhaahahahahahhaahahaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaahahhaahaaahahaahahahaahahahahahahahaahahhaahahahah

Soz :cool:

Sponge Bob wrote:
    HahhhaahhhhaahahahahahahahhaahhHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHhahahahahhaahahahahahhaahahaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaahahhaahaaahahaahahahaahahahahahahahaahahhaahahahah

Soz :cool:
    Did you seriously think I would want it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Just because eircom reduced the price doesn't mean they want YOU to have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

Hmmmm…
    Decisions decisions,
    I live about 10-12 km due south of Dunmurry Hill (Kildare) and it has FWA. I’ve also got LOS to it.

So far I have tried a 3 usb modem (crap in my area) and three data card (good whenit works, but a bit unreliable).

I ruled out FWA on the grounds of cost before and had decided to wait for my exchange to be upgraded (the famous 100 list for 2007 ha ha!).

I’d be happy enough with 512/64 if it was consistent/reliable e.g. when you sit down to do a days work, you don’t have to spend the first hour trying to get your broadband connection to work.

If you’re expected to pay €630 installation cost Eircom would really want to guarantee that it would work perfectly in all circumstances.

Hmmm as we’re half way through 2007 should I take the plunge or wait and see what happens to the exchange?

Probably wait I think

Zug

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Does eircom's position as a company with SMP have any influence on the pricing? ComReg will certainly not be proactive in moderating the price of installation. But pressure could be brought to bear if it turns out that ComReg could set the price of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

zugvogel wrote:
    I ruled out FWA on the grounds of cost before and had decided to wait for my exchange to be upgraded (the famous 100 list for 2007 ha ha!).
    Zug

I have a call in with eircom about that list. Waiting to hear back today.

That’d be great Damien.

Cheers,
    Zug

• Advertisement

The list of masts ( list published elsewhere by Damien) and map (it fell off the back of the comreg site one day and into Netwhizkids photobucket ) is of little use anyway .

eircom mainly use omnis with a range of 5-7km not sectors with 10-20km ranges .

this 3.5ghz FWA licence was always about squatting spectrum and conniving with Comreg to pretend that the spectrum was used ...not providing a service

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Absolutely. And in their recycling of part of it for Wimax I think they only offer that if you ought to be able to get DSL and your line fails and you are in one of 5 major areas.

Could this service support VOIP at 512/64 ?

might be worth considering if line rental and dial up bundle could be eliminated.

Could this service support VOIP at 512/64 ?

barely, do the math here

http://asteriskguru.com/tools/bandwidth_calculator.php

most codecs are 64k

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Hmmm.....

"This content has expired or does not exist "

is what you get when you finally navigate to the FWA FAQ page.

did they realised somebody might be interested in availing of their mystical service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Do eircom SERIOUSLY view 512kB as "high-speed broadband" ? :eek:

Yes, they believe their own bullsh*t.

It's a sack of undiluted s**te. They've flaunted their spectrum to the entire industry and they haven't done a tap with it. A rurtel scheme to make up for crappy copper doesn't count for anything, if the spectrum is vastly underutilised.

Tell it to the people who are 100% responsible for eircom doing what they want with the license: info@comreg.ie

Ask them what they will do about the continued waste of spectrum. An installation charge of €600 odd is an insult to people.

And http://www.comreg.ie/about_us/about_comreg.2.19.html show's who's responsible for what.

The customer charter: http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/downloads/CC01.pdf shows a few email addresses. I'm sure one or two would come in good use if you want to air your complaint to the people of ComReg.

FYI I rang the muppet show otherwise known as the Eircom call center, talk about difficult, trying to explain to a person with zero technical ability and zero motivation to help, that you don't need a telephone line to get FWA.
    They haven't a clue.

When is Matt Cooper going to get Mr Ryan on air for a chat?

Good question. I await it with interest. It'll not be in the next month anyway, if he's taking over a portfolio and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

zugvogel wrote:
    Hmmm as we’re half way through 2007 should I take the plunge or wait and see what happens to the exchange?

In July they're starting the enabling of the exchanges announced on that list. 30 will be done by September and 85 on the list done by end-of-year. Rest in the new year. There are other exchanges in the meantime, not apparently on this list that will get enabled. Not sure what that means exactly. So maybe wait another month and see what gets announced.

Thanks Damien.

Zug

• Registered Users Posts: 54,366 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i rang eircom and asked when my exchange will be done they said 'its not on the list to be done before August'

i live in Golden and my exchange is on the list to be done sometime

i also enquired from eircom about FWA in my area

they said ' they'll have to do a survey and they said it costs 50 euro a month? taught it was 20 euro a month ?
    thats 1gb download (think he said GB or was it MB)

i dont know what to do,go for fwa or wait till after August

IS the fwa good for downloading and playing online ?

Rang Eircom broadband and was told that my exchange (Nurney Co. Kildare) would be done by September!!!! I really hope this is true.

Sh…t
    Just realised she didn’t say what year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement