Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice?

Options
  • 18-06-2007 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

hey there, currently using a .22 semi auto rifle and planning on trading up soon. Looking for something thats semi auto and good for shooting out to 1000 yards. Any ideas? Also any info on a scope to match would be great.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

A semi-auto to 1000yds would be alot to ask. In a bolt-action all the power of the particular cartridge is used to propel the bullet, whereas in semi-auto bleeds off some of the energy in order to cycle the action. Most semi-autos have a maxium effective range of 500-600yds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

are we talking an upgrage from a 22rf???

berette come to mind but it is a massive ask on a licence as to why you would need one

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=1365681

Seems to tick all the boxes - even including the scope recommendation.

Shouldn't be too hard to find a German dealer to do the export docs.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Mr. Gun wrote:
    hey there, currently using a .22 semi auto rifle and planning on trading up soon. Looking for something thats semi auto and good for shooting out to 1000 yards. Any ideas? Also any info on a scope to match would be great.

Cheers.
    Bolt action is the only real option for accuracy out to that sort of distance probably in .308 with a nightforce scope with a 30mm tube and at least 56mm objective.A application for a .308 would take a good few years experience with a .22 centrefire and a stalking licence to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

ASFIK the Vorere isnt made anymore. You have a couple of choices if you want a semi auto tack driver,all expensive:eek:
    HK PSG 1 7.62 NATO will reach out 1000 meters,appx 9K
    HK PS 1 7.62 cheaper version appx 5k
    Sig 550 Sniper 5.56 [223] .But a fantastic rifle,like a Rolex,keeps on going 6.5 k appx.
    Check around E gun under the above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Mr. Gun wrote:
    hey there, currently using a .22 semi auto rifle and planning on trading up soon. Looking for something thats semi auto and good for shooting out to 1000 yards. Any ideas? Also any info on a scope to match would be great.Cheers.

Are you for real...... I'm suspicious (unless you are looking at range shooting)...... My advice is to stick to the .22 ....

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Ah, what the heck; 1000 yards and semi-automatic you say?
    Here you go-
    http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_82.aspx

Something in a top end NightForce or US Optics scope would top it off nicely.

Let us know how the licence application goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Heck of a jump and a steep learning curve between .22LR distances and Centerfire 1000 yard stuff .

You might want to have a whack at shooting a softer recoiling rifle such as a .270 in a lightweight stock and barrel configuration or perhaps 300 win Mag.

Where had you planned to shoot such a beastie ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Mr. Gun wrote:
    hey there, currently using a .22 semi auto rifle.............Looking for something thats semi auto and good for shooting out to 1000 yards.

I reckon you have one "0" extra in there :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

jaycee wrote:
    You might want to have a whack at shooting a softer recoiling rifle such as a .270 in a lightweight stock and barrel configuration or perhaps 300 win Mag.

please tell me that was sarcasm, my brother has a hunting rifle in .270 and it kicks like a mule compared to the .223

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Vegeta wrote:
    please tell me that was sarcasm, my brother has a hunting rifle in .270 and it kicks like a mule compared to the .223

Not really .

I was comparing the .270 to the proposed 50 Cal, it should be a well behaved little puppy by comparison. I have seen videos of one throwing someone right back off a chair while shooting it from a bench..(Luckily they were caught)
    Never seen that with a .270 , so I am guessing it's much softer to shoot.

Ok..?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

jaycee wrote:
    Not really .

I was comparing the .270 to the proposed 50 Cal, it should be a well behaved little puppy by comparison. I have seen videos of one throwing someone right back off a chair while shooting it from a bench..(Luckily they were caught)
    Never seen that with a .270 , so I am guessing it's much softer to shoot.

Ok..?

ooohh compared to the 50 cal I would agree but the .270 is a crisp recoiling rifle to say the least. First time i ever fired it the biggest caliber rifle I had ever fired up to that was my .223. The .270 gave me scope eye

I saw something really weird the other day its a tactical scope by swarovski or zeiss or one of them and it has an eye piece at the back of the scope which is spring mounted for this exact reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think that most 1000yd calibres will be on the harsh side of recoil, you would probably develop a flinch in fairly short order which would not be that beneficial for accuracy in 1000yd type shooting.
    Here is a link to a recoil table from Chuckhawks site, makes interesting reading and may make you think twice about a heavy recoiling rifle.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mr. Gun

Hi guys, thanks for all the info (including the criticism):) The reason for the 1000yard semi auto is purely for range stuff, getting bored with short range work, I want it semi auto because I just prefer it over having to reload after every shot. Although it sounds as though I will have to settle for bolt action for the accuracy.

Have been using .22 here for the last four years but have used most if not all higher calibres elsewhere including the .50 Barrett which has a fairly tame kick off it all things considered.

Thanks again for all the info, I'l let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Im curious as to where you plan to shoot 1000 yards in ireland?isnt the longest range the 600 at midlands:confused:

Id say thats a mighty leap you would be taking not only in ability but price!

Start slow...get yourself a decent boltgun in .223 rem and practice the fundamentals of marksmenship,wind reading and bullet drop at the 100 yard range first!then as you get better step out the range slowly!head over to an f-class shoot or the like and ask lots of questions to the lads on the line.these are the real gurus of longe range target shooting in ireland!

all the best!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Kramer wrote:
    I reckon you have one "0" extra in there :D .
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Getting bored with 100yards the .22lr is quite capable of being shot out to 300yards plenty to be done with it.

As for settling for a bolt action centrefire you'll do well to get a license for one in the first place and you'll only be granted one for range use unless you intend on stalking deer which is harder to get again. So 1000yards shooting is out for the moment anyway.

Its not cheap either factory rifle to shoot out to 1000yards your looking at 1300 for something to get you started another 900 for the scope 550 for range membership 150 for bags and rests throw in 100 to get you started on ammo and you'll still have more to spend thats 3000 quid for basic equipment.

Advertisement