Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question for Coolwings about electric motors

Options
  • 18-06-2007 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

I have a question that coolwings might answer, but if anyone else has ideas I would be quite happy!
    I was in marks models a few weeks ago, and spotted a few Guillows balsa models, and was transported back to me childhood... so I bought one for mesel...eh.. the younglad.
    Yeah I know they are fairly poor quality and all that, but its not the point!:D
    Now these are designed to be rubber powered or IC powered with control line or radio control.
    So I got to thinkin.. about converting it to electric.
    Now, here`s the question, what motor would be suitable (its a FW-190 26" wingspan, balsa airframe with tissue covering)..??
    I have a few spare motors for example, I have a couple of motors for a hummingbird heli, but would this be too powerful? or need to be geared?
    Or should I look at somthing else altogether...and no .. i dont mean a different model!!:D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

It is totally do-able ( and has been done! ).
    You use a small outrunner and li-poly batteries to keep the weight down.

The power requirement is 200 watts/kg and the power system willl weigh about 40% of the total, with the airframe plus servos, rx, ESQ being the other 60%.
    Knowing the weight of the components mean you can put the parts on a kitchen scales and select the necessary in the knowledge that it will all work properly when it gets finished.

Humminbird motor? Can't say, I don't know which motor it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

thats spot on!
    Just need to borrow the missuss scales....:D

Advertisement