Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAMING laptop

• 18-06-2007 10:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

I need one that has 2gb ram, a decent duel core intel (what are these 7400's 7600's etc like?)

and a very good card. (liek 7950gtx)

But I don't care about the rest IE screen size etc and vista...

However seems I have no choice to pay for all this other stuff and get a dell xps or alienware and spend over 2k

Are there any other options I'm missing? I'm used to being able to get just what I need and build my own pc etc...

but I'm a laptop noob and need advice..

Or should this be in the gaming forum?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Asus_F3SV_Laptop_F3SV-AP073G/version.asp

I'm thinking of going for this one, its just under e1360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

cheers but from what I understand my 6800gs in my current pc is better then that card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

I thought an 8600 was a very decent gaming card/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you're looking at getting a 7950gtx then you're looking at a 17" screen. Also I have a T7200 processor and it is the sh!t. I can only imagine what the 7400 or 7600 would be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

I got a great deal from Ecomputers on eBay, here's one of their auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Dell-Inspiron-9400-2GIG-DDR-200HD-7900-GS-VISTA-PREM_W0QQitemZ110139301142QQihZ001QQcategoryZ177QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Expect it to finish out at about 900stg, around E1400.

It's not cutting edge but it more than handles modern games and costs a hell of a lot less than Alienware or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tayto2000 wrote:
    I got a great deal from Ecomputers on eBay, here's one of their auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Dell-Inspiron-9400-2GIG-DDR-200HD-7900-GS-VISTA-PREM_W0QQitemZ110139301142QQihZ001QQcategoryZ177QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Expect it to finish out at about 900stg, around E1400.

It's not cutting edge but it more than handles modern games and costs a hell of a lot less than Alienware or similar.

It's a bit better than my laptop (it's got a bigger hard drive and a faster processor) but the graphics card is the same and so far it has been great. Takes everything I throw at it. Haven't tried stalker yet but someday I'll get around to it.

plays everything on high? This will be my main gaming machine for at least a year. & I dont wanna be playing crysis on low.

Wow thats a good price though for that laptop. Is the 7900 much worse then a 7950gtx?

Btw is there a way of getting a laptop custom built???

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    plays everything on high? This will be my main gaming machine for at least a year. & I dont wanna be playing crysis on low.

Wow thats a good price though for that laptop. Is the 7900 much worse then a 7950gtx?

Btw is there a way of getting a laptop custom built???

I just installed stalker last night and I'm pretty sure everything is on high (except anti alaising) but I will double check tonight and have gotten no slowdown yet. I don't know what it's like compared to the gtx but I've read that it can be overclocked to that level easily enough if you're willing to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I just installed stalker last night and I'm pretty sure everything is on high (except anti alaising) but I will double check tonight and have gotten no slowdown yet. I don't know what it's like compared to the gtx but I've read that it can be overclocked to that level easily enough if you're willing to do that.

You got S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? Ya jammy git!

Duggy747 wrote:
    You got S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? Ya jammy git!

Yeah I got it before the summer. You should have it too. Check your hard drive. P.S. It's brilliant :D:D.

• Advertisement

Yeah I got it before the summer. You should have it too. Check your hard drive. P.S. It's brilliant :D:D.

It is? I don't think it is, either I'm blind or it's not there cuz I've pretty much installed every game. It probably is, hopefully.

Graphic-intensive is it? Me and my lowly single-processor :(

Duggy747 wrote:
    It is? I don't think it is, either I'm blind or it's not there cuz I've pretty much installed every game. It probably is, hopefully.

Graphic-intensive is it? Me and my lowly single-processor :(

Well you took everything off my hard drive and it was on it at the time. Apparently it works fine on older systems (it's probably look sh!t though) so yours will have no problem playing it with a few of the bells and whistles turned on.

Well you took everything off my hard drive and it was on it at the time. Apparently it works fine on older systems (it's probably look sh!t though) so yours will have no problem playing it with a few of the bells and whistles turned on.

Hmm, thinking about it I think I actually did come across it. Did you have the serial and all that on it?

Duggy747 wrote:
    Hmm, thinking about it I think I actually did come across it. Did you have the serial and all that on it?

Check your PM's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I had a friend moving away and wanted a gaming laptop that would last etc

After having a look around with him he picked one up from here http://www.rockdirect.com/ It wasn't cheap but he was very happy with it. Had a dead pixel check/warranty also he sent it back np when it had one on it. He's from england though so would have to check they deliver also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Dataisgod wrote:

After having a look around with him he picked one up from here http://www.rockdirect.com/ It wasn't cheap but he was very happy with it. Had a dead pixel check/warranty also he sent it back np when it had one on it. He's from england though so would have to check they deliver also.

What did he get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

The Rock laptops are sweet, I was looking at the Pegasus before I bought on ebay.... They definitely do ship to Ireland and the pixel check is useful, but it works out expensive with the sterling conversion, plus shipping is charged extra plus you're going to want another Gb of Ram (1Gb supplied as standard) = €€€
    Great machines though, the new Dx10 one looks amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

he got whatever was the best one at the time. loaded up with pretty much everything. He was moving away and wanted it to last etc

Dataisgod wrote:
    he got whatever was the best one at the time. loaded up with pretty much everything. He was moving away and wanted it to last etc

I'd love to have money to burn like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

rock are crap value for money though.

A Go7950GTX is much better then a Go7900Gs. It is certainly not a case of being able to easily overclock the 7900GS to those performance levels.

The 8600M GS is an OK card but you must remember laptop parts are much slower then their desktop counterparts....but as mobile cards go it'd do quite well on recent games.

Stalker is not a very intensive game really, runs at high settings on even the Go7400 cards as long as you leave the lighting at static.

• Advertisement

I remember reading (think it was called notebookreview.com) that it could be overclocked to those levels or at least close.

I remember reading (think it was called notebookreview.com) that it could be overclocked to those levels or at least close.

Read Havok's reply again. It's not easily done. Me, I have a 7950GTX. :p

petes wrote:
    Read Havok's reply again. It's not easily done. Me, I have a 7950GTX. :p

I know I was just saying that I read on some website that it was. And as for you 7950gtx, I now hate you. Jealousy rears it's ugly head :(

I know I was just saying that I read on some website that it was. And as for you 7950gtx, I now hate you. Jealousy rears it's ugly head :(

Jealousy you say. I have 2 gigs of ram and I am now looking at getting two 2Gb modules for this!! Runs fine, but I'm not paying!!

petes wrote:
    Jealousy you say. I have 2 gigs of ram and I am now looking at getting two 2Gb modules for this!! Runs fine, but I'm not paying!!

Ya I have 2gigs in mine as well. Who's paying for the 4gigs you're slapping into it?

Ya I have 2gigs in mine as well. Who's paying for the 4gigs you're slapping into it?

Work, although I don't think they know it yet.

petes wrote:
    Work, although I don't think they know it yet.

Ya lucky b@stard. Where do I send my CV?:D

Ya lucky b@stard. Where do I send my CV?:D

Are you mad, only room for me.

Have to say if you have the cash on hand a Dell XPS M1710 is the dogs bollox.

petes wrote:
    Are you mad, only room for me.

Have to say if you have the cash on hand a Dell XPS M1710 is the dogs bollox.

Very nice. Did work pay for that too?

• Advertisement

Very nice. Did work pay for that too?

Yup. Had to replace my ageing 8600. Although I needed it for all the intensive gaming applications I use.

petes wrote:
    Yup. Had to replace my ageing 8600. Although I needed it for all the intensive gaming applications I use.

Wow you really working that place for all you can get. Fair play.

Wow you really working that place for all you can get. Fair play.

Wouldn't mind but my applications don't need it. Have vista ultimate and xp dual booting but could do that on any half decent machine.

petes wrote:
    Wouldn't mind but my applications don't need it. Have vista ultimate and xp dual booting but could do that on any half decent machine.

Fúck it man, take whatever you can get that's my motto. Try and get a 24" monitor out of them as well "because the one on my laptop is too small and is giving me eyestrain" or some other bullsh!t like that:).

Dataisgod wrote:

Cheers for that link Dave, veeeery interesting.

Now, who the hell can tell me which is better. An 7950GTX 512mb, or an 8700GT 512mb???????????????????????????:confused::confused::confused:

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    Cheers for that link Dave, veeeery interesting.

Now, who the hell can tell me which is better. An 7950GTX 512mb, or an 8700GT 512mb???????????????????????????:confused::confused::confused:

Don't know but I would imagine that the 7950 would be better as the 8600 is about the same as a 7600 from what I've read and I would presume that the 8700 is just an overclocked 8600. I would love if someone could clarify this.

• Advertisement

me too man. me too. Google aint helping either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

HavoK wrote:
    r....

A Go7950GTX is much better then a Go7900Gs. It is certainly not a case of being able to easily overclock the 7900GS to those performance levels. ....

I would second that. The M1710 I had with a 7950GTX was significantly quicker than the 9400 I have with the 7900GS. The M1710 is a lot more expensive though and rarely pop up on the outlet.

yeah but the REAL question is. Whats better? A 7950gtx? or a 8700m GT???? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Cunny-Funt wrote:
    yeah but the REAL question is. Whats better? A 7950gtx? or a 8700m GT???? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

The reviews will be out soon enough. I expect there won't be an earth shattering difference.

Indeed, although some would say dx10 would be an earth shattering difference. I haven't a clue myself. All I can do is constantly read through forums containing peoples opinions that are always being contradicted by other peoples opinions.

I just wanna be able to play games like CRYSIS on high gfx on a laptop. Not MAX settings, but better than medium.

• Advertisement

A low end DX10 gfx card with 512mb might be left in the dust by decent a 256mb dx9 card. You need to look beyond the buzz words.

oh of course, I mean before I knew there was a 8700, I was deffo going for a 7950gtx even though there was 8600's etc.

Its the fact that a lot of people are saying that the 8700 is basiclly a dx10 version of the 7950 (performance wise) that has me interested. But then theres people saying theres no way it can be the same/better since its specs aint as good as a 7950 so I'm just waiting for the facts (nividea has released benchmarks of course that show the 8700 beating the 7950gtx but I need more then 'their' opinion.

By the time I get solid facts on the 8700 i'm sure there will be talk of an 8800m god dammit to hell :mad:

Cunny-Funt wrote:

By the time I get solid facts on the 8700 i'm sure there will be talk of an 8800m god dammit to hell :mad:

Some times it can be annoying how fast technology moves.

Cunny-Funt wrote:

In current games it's hard to imagine the Go7950GTX not being significantly better. The Go7700 was more of a battery life improvement with slight performance gain over the 7600, the 8700 to the 8600 is probably more or less the same. I'd say you'd be touching maybe 7900gs waters with the 8700.

thats not what people are saying though

20070613100000_33.jpg

Theres your answer so.

Well, it shows to never assume! :D

Especially with the crazy naming and numbering schemes the manufacturers come up with. To catch out the unwary I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Cunny-Funt wrote:

7950gtx still i'd say, it'll take the 8800m to beat it.

7950gtx still i'd say, it'll take the 8800m to beat it.

Well that was also my first assumption, but as above it seems at least in 3dmark the 8700 is winning out, now I know 3dmark06 is not a total conclusion as seen by the likes of the 2900xt vs the 8800gtx in that benchmark vs real life performance, but its still a strong indication...

• Advertisement
Advertisement