Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nokia Car kit for BMW 3 Series

Options
  • 18-06-2007 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I've asked to install a new car kit in my friends 07 BMW, does any one know off hand the colours for the wiring (looking for the Ignition detection & car mute). Also any suggestions for removing dash panels with little damage

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I think it's Red +12VDC, Black -12VDC, Blue +12V(IGN) and Yellow is the mute.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're the wire colours on the kit.
    Without sounding like I'm in the PC brigade, I wouldn't touch the interior or the wiring on a new BMW unless I was completely competent at taking dashes apart and tapping into electrics. Ground, accessory and permanent live will be easy to find using a multimeter, the only tricky one will be the radio mute. Beware BMW dashes, it is very easy to mark the soft plastics, it is also very to break the clips holding panels on, so take your time and use proper tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

colm_mcm wrote:
    They're the wire colours on the kit.
    Without sounding like I'm in the PC brigade, I wouldn't touch the interior or the wiring on a new BMW unless I was completely competent at taking dashes apart and tapping into electrics. Ground, accessory and permanent live will be easy to find using a multimeter, the only tricky one will be the radio mute. Beware BMW dashes, it is very easy to mark the soft plastics, it is also very to break the clips holding panels on, so take your time and use proper tools.

Will a crowbar with a bit o' rag do, boss?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It has been said that fitting an aftermarket phone kit to a BMW invalidates the whole warranty unless done by a BMW approved supplier - so be very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

R.O.R wrote:
    It has been said that fitting an aftermarket phone kit to a BMW invalidates the whole warranty unless done by a BMW approved supplier - so be very careful.

I've had this said to me before. They wanted to fit the BMW phone kit for the bargain price of two grand :eek: Needless to say I had the Nokia kit fitted. I can see how it would possibly affect the warranty when it comes to certain electrical faults but there is no way it could invalidate the warranty when it comes to a faulty shock or the engine burning oil or other mechanical faults. Nevertheless, having the Nokia fitted does have the potential to make subsequent warranty claims awkward.

Maybe ned78 could enlighten us as to the official story..........................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Sorry lads, I was out yesterday with a bout of food poisioning. The trick is to use an installer who has an insurance policy that covers his work. That way, on the very very off change that a Nokia kit interferes with the car's electrics (And I've yet to see that ever happen), you're covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP; get a pro to do it. If you tell us where you're based, I'm sure that someone on here can recommend someone in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How about a Parrot kit? They look well, and they have a module that allows you to use the steering wheel controls. They have voice dialling, caller display, etc. Only bluetooth, no cradle.

Anan1 wrote:
    How about a Parrot kit? They look well, and they have a module that allows you to use the steering wheel controls. They have voice dialling, caller display, etc. Only bluetooth, no cradle.

Wouldn't the problem still be, oh, THE WIRING????? :rolleyes:

Fey! wrote:
    Wouldn't the problem still be, oh, THE WIRING????? :rolleyes:
    Take a few deep breaths. Parrot have complete wiring guides on their website.;)

• Advertisement

Anan1; problem would be, 2 months down the road, where the exhaust may start to rattle and it's brought back to BMW under warranty, and they go "you wired in a phone kit and that's the problem and you're not warrantied".

Fey! wrote:
    Anan1; problem would be, 2 months down the road, where the exhaust may start to rattle and it's brought back to BMW under warranty, and they go "you wired in a phone kit and that's the problem and you're not warrantied".
    But isn't that true of the Nokia too, ie of anything but the OEM bluetooth?

Exactly. That's why the recommendation is to get it fitted professionally, regardless of kit brand; the Parrot unit is very good (have it in a van), the basic Nokia without the screen is very good (in the car), the Nokia with the screen is rubbish (had it in the car), and the Motorola is the worst (mothers car).

Just my humble opinion, before I get jumped on!

Fey! wrote:
    Exactly. That's why the recommendation is to get it fitted professionally, regardless of kit brand; the Parrot unit is very good (have it in a van), the basic Nokia without the screen is very good (in the car), the Nokia with the screen is rubbish (had it in the car), and the Motorola is the worst (mothers car).
    I agree with all of the above. I was just suggesting the Parrot because it looks well, appears to work well, and can integrate with the BMWs steering wheel controls.
    Fey! wrote:
    Just my humble opinion, before I get jumped on!
    You're the jumper, not the jumpee!;)

Fey! wrote:
    the basic Nokia without the screen is very good (in the car), the Nokia with the screen is rubbish (had it in the car),

I got a Nokia CK15 in my new car, and it works very well.
    nokiack15w.jpg
    find the seperate remote controller very useful, it also means you can mount the screen further back on the dash without worrying about reaching the buttons like on a Parrot kit. I also like that you can customise the background colour to match your cars instrument panel.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I got a Nokia CK15 in my new car, and it works very well.
    nokiack15w.jpg
    find the seperate remote controller very useful, it also means you can mount the screen further back on the dash without worrying about reaching the buttons like on a Parrot kit.
    Am I the only one who thinks it a big plus that the Parrot can be operated through the buttons on the BMW steering wheel?:)

Anan1 wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks it a big plus that the Parrot can be operated through the buttons on the BMW steering wheel?:)
    I'm sure there are other like minded people out there!

There's a company in the UK called newministuff.co.uk who sell MFSW adapters for Nokia kits too, for the e46, e87, e60 and e90.

Big prize for anyone who can find an adaptor for a 99 A8!

Alpine do a series of adapters for older cars Anan, they call the product range F.I.T., and can make their systems work with your existing obsolete SatNav screens (If you have one), MFSW, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 BarryC

Gone a bit of the point, Thanks anyway

BarryC wrote:

Unfortunately, that tends to happen around here a lot. Sorry.

Hope you got some advice you could use, though.

BarryC wrote:
    Sorry for digressing. In my defence, however, i've already told you where to find the information you need.:)

Advertisement