Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the fastest speed you have reached on your bike?

123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

72kph last night coming down pine forest road towards cruagh. Loving the descent and normally getting 65-70kph on it, though really wish it was a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

kfod wrote: »
    79kph on Coolieragh descent on the back of the slowest ride to the top of said descent :)

I managed 74.5 km/h on the same descent earlier this month. I should have pedalled harder.........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a friend who cycled the ras a few years back said he hit (if memory serves) 96km/h coming down off the conor pass, but another competitor maxed out at 109.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

smacl wrote: »
    72kph last night coming down pine forest road towards cruagh. Loving the descent and normally getting 65-70kph on it, though really wish it was a bit longer.

I was down that way yesterday also, think I managed about 64kph, I always reach for the brakes coming up to the Cruagh road junction. Think there was a bit of a tailwind yesterday also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

According to strava, 75.6kph coming off the Shay Elliott on the w200 in 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Koobcam wrote: »
    I was down that way yesterday also, think I managed about 64kph, I always reach for the brakes coming up to the Cruagh road junction. Think there was a bit of a tailwind yesterday also.

Braver than me so, I start feathering the brakes at the entrance to Tibradden woods. My 85kg is doubtless what is adding the extra couple of kph. Nice tailwind too probably helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭deandean

I did 54km/h on my MTB on a steep fire road. Both wheels were shimmying all over the place, I just kept a very loose grip on the bars and all was OK!

And remember all, rule number 23 of The Rules:

Rule #23// Tuck only after reaching Escape Velocity.
    You may only employ the aerodynamic tuck after you have spun out your 53 x 11; the tuck is to be engaged only when your legs can no longer keep up. Your legs make you go fast, and trying to keep your fat ass out of the wind only serves to keep you from slowing down once you reach escape velocity. Thus, the tuck is only to be employed to prevent you slowing down when your legs have wrung the top end out of your block. Tucking prematurely while descending is the antithesis of Casually Deliberate. For more on riding fast downhill see Rule #64 and Rule #85.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

All of the following data points were gathered with a Garmin and hand checked against spurious readings.

Closed roads: 83.9 km/h
    Open roads: 81.0 km/h, Old Long Hill
    That's with an vented helmet on - imagine if I had an aero lid :rolleyes:

Off-road, downhill bike: 67.7 km/h, Les Deux Alpes
    Off-road, trail bike: 53.3 km/h, Djouce
    To be fair though, the feeling of speed is far more relevant than any number when off-road. 67.7 km/h was just a matter of tucking, but it was really tough to stay on-line for that 53.3 km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

58kph on a short decent, chickened out at that.

The peloton in Spain today was doing 70+kph on the flat, mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

68km racing in Fermoy last year. Unstable speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

On my ReignX1 all-mountain offroad bike, 83kph coming down from the top of Minaun on Achill Island. Got that on video too, averaged >60kph for the 3km of the descent on that Easter Sunday morning.

On the SantaCruz V10.4 carbon downhill bike my max speed was 66kph coming down the road from Avoraiz towards Morzine this July. ovely road, lovely spin.

On the road bike, I haven't had it up many long and steep hills at all yet, but the max speed is somewhere in the 70s, coming down from the Vee in south Tipp. Beautifully stable at that speed.

Actually all of my bikes are stupidly stable at insano-speeds, even with my ~90kg on them. Though, I think I'd like to have a small steering damper on the DH bike just in case, as I'm expecting to hit >90kph offroad on it next summer..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Max Rockatansky

94kph descending Col du Glandon. In Ireland 90kph descending Sliabh Bui near Carnew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

79.8kmph during stage 2 of The Tour of Omagh this year. Had got dropped on the second climb and descended like a demon to get back on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

71.3km/hr, hit during the lost sheep half ironman on saturday, tri bike, was on the aerobars, hands a long way from the brakes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

84kmh down the Wicklow gap heading to Laragh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

84kmh down into old Leighlin on the loop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

77.1kmh on the short downhill onto the lower road lucan into the strawberry beds, i was quite surprised to see it as I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to downhills, there are a couple of manhole covers on "my line" so I am on the breaksmust of the way down it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Bloggsie wrote: »
    77.1kmh on the short downhill onto the lower road lucan into the strawberry beds, i was quite surprised to see it as I am a bit of a wimp when it comes to downhills, there are a couple of manhole covers on "my line" so I am on the breaksmust of the way down it.

I know that road well, where abouts on it ? Little or no traffic at certain times which is good..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,432 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think any of the downhills i know onto the strawberry beds would be long enough or safe enough for me to take the bike up to that speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

77.1kmh on the short downhill onto the lower road lucan into the strawberry beds

There are lots of trees there AFAIR, you're sure it wasn't a GPS hiccup?

The Hill, about 200-300 yards past the entry for fort lucan, on the left handside of the road there are 4-5 manhole covers on the downslope & @ 07.00/07.10 they are generally still damp with dew and are like glass when on a road bike.

i don't think any of the downhills i know onto the strawberry beds would be long enough or safe enough for me to take the bike up to that speed.
    I didnt realise I was doing it until I had a butchers at the thingymajig my wife bought me that does speed, distance and all of that stuff!

is that the one with the bad bend at the bottom (if you're turning right down off the hill/left coming up onto the hill)?

yes.

never thought of that.

you often see drivers coming from lucan and taking a left onto that hill, having to swing out into the road (on the strawberry beds) to get up onto the hill - and they're swinging onto the oncoming lane as they swing onto the hill too. watch out for that as you near the bottom of the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

mossym wrote: »
    71.3km/hr, hit during the lost sheep half ironman on saturday, tri bike, was on the aerobars, hands a long way from the brakes...

The stretch of good road 5km before Glengarriff :-) clocked 67 km/h myself.

Coming down the Dingle side of Conor Pass I once hit 85 km/h - what a thrill! (I still have the data record to show off with it)

you often see drivers coming from lucan and taking a left onto that hill, having to swing out into the road (on the strawberry beds) to get up onto the hill - and they're swinging onto the oncoming lane as they swing onto the hill too. watch out for that as you near the bottom of the hill.
    there hasnt been much traffic due to the hour of the day i am on it but I am generally crawling by the time I get down the end & I will have 1 foot un clipped just in case i meet someone who is in the car but their head is still on the pillow!

• Advertisement
Advertisement