Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Racial Slur Cars now in Limerick

Options
  • 18-06-2007 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

I noticed going down the Dock Road yesterday that Enterprise Cars changed their name to "Jap Cars Limerick", as shown by their new tacky sign - then again I suppose it's a bit better than their previous "[oval where Kia logo used to be] Motors".

Is this now owned by that same ass in Dublin who apparently doesn't want to sell cars to anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

Where is the racial slur?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Jap is derogatory for Japanese. I guess on the same level as Yank for Americans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, apparently in some cultures (possibly Japanese mainly!) some people get offended by the word "Jap", but to be fair, in Ireland, the term "Jap" Import has been around for years, as have companies like japparts and japrek. In these instances, it is simply shortening the name rather than igniting some type of WW2 hatred. I may be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't remember, did we fight the Japs in WWII?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I didn't anyway. did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Could be worse, could be Paddys Motors selling er Irish made cars.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

No, but hang on I'll ask me Da.
    Oh wait I can't, he died in a German concentration camp.
    Fell out of his machine gun tower. Tragic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Hagar wrote:
    No, but hang on I'll ask me Da.
    Oh wait I can't, he died in a German concentration camp.
    Fell out of his machine gun tower. Tragic.
    I'll never forgive them for what they did to my grandfather there.

Passed over for promotion time and time again...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ah FFS. Next the PC brigade have us moved on (again) from using terms like "members of the travelling community" and "social welfare recipients" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Travelling Community is derogatory. I've never seen them travelling anywhere. Any time I've seen them they're parked up at the side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

So is it cool to say I'm just going round the corner to buy some crips from the Paki? Do negros have to wear suncream? The state of that eskimo's parka jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Enough! Take it to AH or somewhere...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement