Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car for the taller gent e16,000, suggest away!

Options
  • 18-06-2007 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of selling my car in the next few months once I pass my driving test. I reckon I'll get e6000 for my current car (2002 Astra, bought for e8000 last December) and I'm willing to add e10,000 to that. I'm looking for suggestions on what I can get for that kind of money.

I seriously have no idea what I want, other than it having sufficient head and leg room so I'm not slouched in the seat with a sore back trying to look out the windscreen like I am in my Astra. A few other requirement's would be that's its no older than 2001, at least a 1.6L, nothing extraordinarily bland, somewhat insurable for a 22 year old and if possible I want to keep the mileage under the 40,000 mile mark.

I really don't mind importing from the UK if it means I'd get a better car.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

are you into the whole SUV thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Not really tbh. I drive a few 4x4's in work and tbh I don't know why people would drive one as their primary vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Passats are fairly roomy inside.

How about something like a Honda CR-V or dare i say it a Rav4?

Lots of cars will fit the bill, anything in the Passat/Mondeo/Avensis category will be more spacious than your Astra. Do you want a raised driving position or just a wee bit more room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How high are you?

I'm 6'4 and the following have been fine for me Audi A6, Mercs, Opel Corsas (not that you'll be wanting one of them!). French cars often lack head-room and Italians tend to favour short of leg.

Mike.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.

Ideally all I want is more room around the driver seat and something that looks good, I don't care too much about the rear passenger space. I know I sound awkward but I honestly haven't a clue what I want.

Mike, I'm 6'6

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Get a Saab 95 for about half your budget and use some of it for the more expensive insurance (2 liter)

Veeery comfortable car for the larger driver and cheap second hand.

I was actually looking at the 95 but it's not the prettiest of cars. I'm not too fond of the aesthetics of the pre 2006 passat either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

can I reccomend a MAzda 6. Nice sized car with plenty of interior space you should get a high spec 05 for 16k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I'd recommend a CR-V - Oodles of head-room and space for all involved. Not actually an SUV simply an estate car (or so the registration would seem). Only comes in a 2 litre though and you'd get a decent one for that money. But may not be to your taste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I second the Mazda 6. Loads of space up front, and head room seems to be ample too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

A 3 series. You can fit a very tall driver in the them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

* Note to self: Do not get in an argument with Mike65 or Nephew .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I am 6.4 , my wife has a foucus not the best for long runs. I had a vectra which had plenty of space in fairness. Driving an 02 S60 now and the amount of adjustments you can make to the driving position is pretty class.
    NOt sure how the insurance would fair out but worth looking into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

2.4L Toyota Camry,

My aul fella has the same complaint as yourself and after trying out quite a few options he went for the above:

http://www.cbg.ie/Cardetail.aspx?CBGID=-4&ID=1171645&NumPics=5&Make=Toyota&Model=Camry&frmFilter=

Theres loads of them around, the full leather interior is worth it too, much easier to keep clean and wears alot better.

I'd say give it a drive and see what you think, very comfortable and quiet, i didnt like it to drive myself, the clutch is a bit weird, for like an on/off button.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I'm 6'6" and I've never found a car I couldnt fit in handy enough, right down to my mother's Yaris. I currently drive a Sera which is tiny, and yet I fir in no bother. I think if your willing to drive with the seat in a reclined position you'll have no bother with any car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

zuutroy wrote:
    I'm 6'6" and I've never found a car I couldnt fit in handy enough, right down to my mother's Yaris. I currently drive a Sera which is tiny, and yet I fir in no bother. I think if your willing to drive with the seat in a reclined position you'll have no bother with any car.

You didn't try a Fiat Cinquecento so? I'm just under 6'2 and I struggled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

zuutroy wrote:

True, but alot of people have back complaints, having a large area makes it ALOT more comfortable for long journeys. I mean.. i could fit in the back seat of a Jaguar XJ8, but for a long journey it would suck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'm 6'5" and have a 520; you could probably pick up a '01 with a decent spec for your budget. Great space. I'm also just over the 20 stone mark (I find that it's not just height, it's physical bulk). Found the 3 series a bit cramped.

As Zuutroy says, you'll be able to fit in most cars, but for long rung comfort a Yaris or a Corsa will be very cramped.

A friend of mine is 6'4" and 23 stone and had Mondeos for years, which he found great for room. He's also had a couple of 5 series and an A4; the A4 was, IMHO, the most uncomfortable. I had an Accord before the 5, and also found it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

unkel wrote:
    You didn't try a Fiat Cinquecento so? I'm just under 6'2 and I struggled

I can drive one of them no bother; can't drive a Seicento, though!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Nephew wrote:
    I am thinking of selling my car in the next few months once I pass my driving test. I reckon I'll get e6000 for my current car (2002 Astra, bought for e8000 last December) and I'm willing to add e10,000 to that. I'm looking for suggestions on what I can get for that kind of money.

I seriously have no idea what I want, other than it having sufficient head and leg room so I'm not slouched in the seat with a sore back trying to look out the windscreen like I am in my Astra. A few other requirement's would be that's its no older than 2001, at least a 1.6L, nothing extraordinarily bland, somewhat insurable for a 22 year old and if possible I want to keep the mileage under the 40,000 mile mark.

I really don't mind importing from the UK if it means I'd get a better car.

Thanks

Try a Skoda Superb. buddy of mine, swears by it for room. and youll get a decent one for that money id say. Try it and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fey! wrote:

That's funny. The other way around for me! But hey I'm only a wee fella compared to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Golf "Plus" maybe?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=683826

but I think they're only a recent model hence too expensive ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fey! wrote:

I'm 6'3" and my better half used to have a Seicento, great little car, TBH I couldn't fit behind the wheel either but loads of headroom, we even did the ring of Kerrry in it once, had a brilliant time, passed an A6 on the Limrick bypass doing 80mph and he was not impressed :D

muletide wrote:
    can I reccomend a MAzda 6. Nice sized car with plenty of interior space you should get a high spec 05 for 16k

Yes, very roomy car, my mother will be selling her 05 model in January, I guess if I find nothing in the meantime I could wait till then, but due to the spec and low mileage it'd be at least 4 or 5 grand over my budget when the time comes, and I dunno if I fancy driving a car my aul one used to drive tbh:D.

How about an Avensis, I've loads of room and I'm 6'1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

bennyc wrote:
    I am 6.4 , my wife has a foucus not the best for long runs.

Interesting you should say that. I find the original model focus to be much more comfortable than the later one for a long journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Beetles have loads and loads of head room. Although they are a bit on the gay side unless you get an old one and pimp it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On the Mondeo. What Car (I think) did a test years back and showed how a woman of 4'11" and a big bloke of 6'5" ish both found useable/comfortable driving positions in one.

The Citroen Multispace/Berlingo has masses of headroom. But its also a bit of a box!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    How about an Avensis, I've loads of room and I'm 6'1

:D He wanted a car :D

Advertisement