Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latin

Options
  • 18-06-2007 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Latin exam?? No one else?

Anyone got any predictions about whats coming up for history? cos im well screwed...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Me! Me!!! Wow! Another freak like me!!
    :D:D:D

You can't really tell what'll be up on history, other than that there's a fairly good chance there'll be something on Octavian. He's come up every year bar one since 1990. That said, I'm not learning him, because the questions are usually too specific for the notes we have. Study the exam papers, the same things come up year after year... If I were to recommend something to study... do Claudius (he's fairly easy) the Year of the Four Emperors, the Flavian Dynasty, and Trajan maybe... That's a lot to learn, but there's a good chance you'll be able to do at least one of the history questions...

Don't be too worried about it. You have all of wednesday morning to cram, unless you're doing another subject. And Latin's an easy enough subject to cram.
    So... we should bond... Are you doing honours? How many in your class?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

''I am.....I am Latin''
    ''Wow.Well Latins a big place pal, where you in Latin are you from Fernando?''
    ''I do not need to listen to this insults!I have pride, I have been chosen!Many are called but few are choosen, and I was called AND choosen to work a miracle!!''

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Lol, yeah, i'm in honours...there's around 20 people in my class...I think it must be one of the biggest in the country? How many are in yours? It's good to find another 'one'....

Yeah,good call on the year of the 4 emperors,i'm doing all the poets except for caesar and livy, and all the ara pacis,arch of titus, colosseum and what have you...

Aside from all this somewhat useless history bollocks...and perhaps learning virgil off too...latins a pretty sweet subject..:D

Haha....also,I just found your reply-less thread about latin from a few months ago when doing a search...

It seems we're definitely the only two..

Yeah, its one of my favourites. There's only two of us in my class, me taking honours and the other girl doing ordinary, and we've a fantastic teacher, so I'm lucky. We've done the Aeneid about seven times, so I kinda know it in my sleep now.
    I'm leaving out art and architecture altogether, and doing all the authors, and then answering two history questions and one author question tomorrow. I'm going for the A, but I've been stupid and have been relaxing since my last exam (last Wednesday :() so I gotta go cram it all now.
    Yep, seems like we're the only two alright!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

"Caligula's problems as emperor were derived mostly from his personal, private failures."

Don't tell anyone you heard it here, but thats a dead cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 crussher

Yeah, you're not the only two!

In fact, I'm the only one in my year who does it.

I've learnt all the history (save Augustus military history) and most of the art history so I'd be very unlucky not to get good questions there... The only thing that worries me is explaining moods and tenses and whatnot! (Oh, and don't forget to learn the background to Virgil's life (or Livy) for an easy 10 marks in the subsidiary questions to the set text).

Good luck tomorrow anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

When I did my LC a few years ago I did Ancient Greek. I was the only one in school doing it. I found the paper was easy to predict. It seemed to be that if something hadn't come up in the last two or three years, it was certain to come up that year. I don't know if Latin is the same, but that piece of info certainly helped me get my A!

Roman relief sculpture?? oh god...

Art history = too long and too boring.
    Roman authors = short and YAY!!
    Good luck tomorrow anyhow... Isn't it funny how you get 10 replies to your thread and nobody even bothered to post a smart comment on mine lol. Hope the unseens are nice tomorrow... there's where I usually lose all the marks... Ah well. At least we have a nice comprehension... they used to be killer in the 70s and 80s and stuff.
    In the paper today actually, they advised students to "focus on the unseen part of the course." now I know they meant vocab and stuff but seriously, study the unseen part of the course.... fools.
    Anyways, best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 crussher

So what did you'se make of it?

I thought it was slightly harder than last year.
    I did the English to Latin, fairly alright. Messed up one clause and forget the latin for 'almost':rolleyes: .
    Latin to English section: I was luck that I'd done the Catullus one in fourth year so it was slightly familiar! Otherwise I did the Virgil and Livy.
    The Aeneid was fine (especially the subsidary questions..).
    As usual, I was useless with explaining the tenses and moods but the rest of Q4 was ok.
    I thought it was interesting that they didn't have Augustus as the main question (or at least not really - a tiny bit on him, the rest on Tiberius, quite a good question really). I also did the Vespasian one and the wall painting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kaladura

I did Latin too! What a random subject.
    I thought it was a lovely paper, I was really happy. Our teacher predicted the exact Catullus and it came up! Fantastic cause I usually find the poetry unseens hard. Other than that I thought the prose unseens were fine as well, easier than usual. The history was ok, our teacher predicted Augustus' heir as well but I didn't learn it. Did Sallust, Vespasian and the bitty history one about Agrippina and Sejanus. Hope it's an A1 cause put a HUGE amount of work into it.
    I'm finished! And on a high note too!
    :D

Me too!!! Finished! Finally!
    Yeah, I thought it was a grand paper. Unseens were nicer than usual. Catullus and Livy were grand and straightforward, the other two I thought were more challenging. Comprehension - we did that exact passage before, was a dream.
    I did Vespasian *hate Augustus* the little one about Agrippina and Sejanus, and then did Catullus. Studied him this morning yay!! The principal parts and all that were grand too.... ignibus though for the tenses thing... what kind of ablative was that?

Advertisement