Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

duke earl baron lord etc

Options
  • 19-06-2007 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Whats the difference between all those titles,
    Lord
    Duke
    Marquis
    Earl
    Viscount
    Baron
    Baronet
    Sir
    etc

They're all titles in England. Is one subordinate to the other? In what order?
    Anyone got any info on this at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

These are only educated guesses based on what I've read:
    Lord << Title awarded by the Queen, not to do with land. Qualification of House of Lords.
    Duke << ie. Duke of York, not to do with land but ruling location awarded by Queen. Signifies highest aristocratic rank.
    Marquis } are these to do with historical association with French Titles when
    Viscount } Britain ruled parts of France?
    Baron << Owner of large tracts of land.
    Baronet << Female Baron
    Sir << Signifies Knighthood.

I'm probably wrong, but that's what I gather for those anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

katarin wrote:
    These are only educated guesses based on what I've read:
    Lord << Title awarded by the Queen, not to do with land. Qualification of House of Lords.
    Duke << ie. Duke of York, not to do with land but ruling location awarded by Queen. Signifies highest aristocratic rank.
    Marquis } are these to do with historical association with French Titles when
    Viscount } Britain ruled parts of France?
    Baron << Owner of large tracts of land.
    Baronet << Female Baron
    Sir << Signifies Knighthood.

I'm probably wrong, but that's what I gather for those anyway.

I'm sure wikipedia can tell you more info, but I know that a Baronet is a minor Baron, but senior to a Knight. A Baroness is a female Baron and a Baronetess is a female Baronet.

Also, I am guessing, but I think the French sounding titles, such as Marquis (Or Marquess) are probably Norman in origin, so although they came from France, they came over with William the conqueror and his mates.

Remember, most of the european nobility are somehow related, so there are a lot of common sounding titles accross europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

This is what you're looking for. A fascinating aspect of society, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

I am guessing, but I think the French sounding titles, such as Marquis (Or Marquess) are probably Norman in origin, so although they came from France, they came over with William the conqueror and his mates.

The oldest title is probably Earl, which precedes the Norman conquest. After the Norman conquest, Barons were feudal landowners who held their manors directly from the King, and below them were Knights (who were probably not at that time known as Sir somebody). Dukes started to appear, first in the royal family around the 1300s and then in non-royal noble families in the late 1400s (Duke of Norfolk was, I think, the first non-royal Duke).

Although Marquesses and Viscounts were around on the continent a long time before (Markgraf, Marquis, Marchese, Vicomte), I think that the earliest use of these titles was around the middle of the 1500s.

Baronets were invented by James I to raise money. You could become a Baronet of Ulster or Nova Scotia by paying enough money to finance 30 soldiers for three years (around £1,100) - sales of honours are by no means a recent thing.

Before the Union of 1801, all the titles existed in the Peerage of Ireland. There are currently two Dukes in the Peerage of Ireland (Leinster and Abercorn) and 11 Marquessates.

For titles of Marquess, Earl and Viscount, it is considered acceptable to address or refer to the title-holder as "Lord X", so the Marquess of Londonderry could be referred to as Lord Londonderry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

You've also got continental titles like:

Graf, landgrave, margrave, elector, etc.

Good page here:

http://worldroots.com/brigitte/europenobletitle.htm

There are corresponding ecclesiastical ranks:

Pope - Emperor
    Cardinal - Prince
    Bishop - Lord
    Various orders of deacons/priests equivalent to barons/knights/esquires.

• Advertisement
Advertisement