Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New PC - OS ??

• 19-06-2007 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I've just decided to build - ( wife says - Yet again.!...) ....

Why would I choose Vista 64bit as opposed to Vista 32bit ?
    Or should I stick with Win XP Pro ?
    Given that I have linux licked already....

Search seems to be disabled on the forum ?

What do I need the PC for ? Obvious question ! Exploration of the world in all it's aspects....fun....
    Really I have no particular demands other then ease of use with no frustrations....... would 64 bit lead to having a big stick and never using it ?

A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

I've just found the thread in the Windows forum that deals with Vista, but it still does not reference 32 v 64 bit ?

Maybe the question is proper to there ?

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yes, thats what the windows forum is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The situation between 64-bit vs 32-bit is that unless you are using large amounts of RAM i.e. 4GB or more than you are better off sticking with 32-bit.

In general compatibility has been getting better for 64-bit in terms of applications, games and drivers but there are still sore spots for general users.

In 64-bit all drivers with the exception of the display driver must be WHQL certified or it wont install, there is an official workaround but it's not really practical so you need to know all your hardware is supported by a finding driver for it before even considering 64-bit.

The video codec situation is another matter at the moment 64-bit codecs are very thin on the ground, progress has been made with ffdshow-tryouts but it could still be another month(s) before we see a 64-bit build.

You can however use 32-bit codecs and out of the box it defaults to 32-bit WMP but it is still an issue if you fire up Media Centre as that is 64-bit and needs 64-bit codecs.

Games are a mixed bag most newish ones will work though older ones could pose a problem with copy protection drivers and such. Performance with ATI cards in general is about on par with XP but NVIDIA cards have much more erratic performance levels & NVIDIA's 64-bit is worse than their 32-bit too.

64-bit apps for the average user and few & far between though ones like 64-bit Firefox do exist and have some impressive speed benefits but again the lack of 64-bit versions of flash, java make it unusable as a day to day browser. Start64 is a good site to find the occasional 64-bit application.

Compatibility with 32-bit applications overall is pretty good.

Advertisement