Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saltpetre (KNO3) in Toothpaste

• 19-06-2007 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

OK, I have been trying to get a hold of some saltpetre as a recipe I found on bordbia's website here calls for the stuff. Now, it's difficult to get because certain irresponsible people decided to use it in explosive making back in the day. Pharmacies and all don't stock it, contrary to what bordbia say, and the more traditional methods involving earth, ashes and rotting vegetation are just too time consuming. However, I noticed that it is up there in the main ingredients of toothpaste (the kind for sensitive teeth e.g. Sensodyne). Can any of you good folks instruct me in a safe and reasonable foolproof method of extracting the required 12g of the stuff from toothpaste? I'm not sure that saltpetre qualifies as a dangerous chemical as such, so I'm not sure if I'm going against the charter on this one... Please help!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I'd say that's pretty difficult tbh given the amount of ingredients in toothpaste.

Just buy it online. e.g.:
    http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000GCS054/002-1848960-5405655?SubscriptionId=0GKY5T9AP29X0E3X4XG2

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Yeah, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this. There has to be some way of extracting it though by some method. I know you can get it on Amazon or even eBay. OK, well for those boffins among you, if you wanted to extract KNO3 from toothpaste, and get ≥90% purity, how would you do it, suggest I do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

eh, if you want it for a recipe you wouldn't want if greater than 90% pure you'd need near 100% with specified impurities as anything else would probably ruin the taste. Also given the other items in toothpaste, (flouride salt for one which would probably stay with salt petre) this seems like a very fool hardy idea, so might I suggest that you are infact looking for it for another purpose, now I may be wrong, and if I am I am sorry, but given the probabilities and that it is not a good idea given dangers of such an attempt (explosions aside, eating some of the ingredients in toothpaste purified would be very bad for you) I suggest that this post should be locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

if i may exercise my use of ctrl+v

Price: $3.39

... now im no geneticist.. but i think paying about €2.70 maaay be less hassle. esp since you need the saltpetre for a recipie not just to challange youself.

also im pretty sure most butchers (here in the real capitol anyway) sell spiced beef which is good AND flouride free.

im with sol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I've seen a few documentaries on how toothpaste is made, and iirc one of the most difficult aspects of it is getting all the ingredients to mix together properly, and therefore most of the work goes into that. With that in mind I would assume that it is very difficult to separate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Saltpetre is used in the spice mix for making spiced beef at Christmas. So it must be available somewhere. I just don't know where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'd really doubt there's much point in you looking to extract it from another compound for the purposes of flavouring. The sceptic in me is also very suspicious of the motives of Son_of_Belial but that's probably just me.

Advertisement