Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ucd arts-art history?? and campus vs private

• 19-06-2007 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

hey, potential ucd student here, any art history students here?? any info?

also..should i go campus (if i can) or somewhere of my own with a few friends?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Well you could check this out UCD School of Art History & Cultural Policy and personally Id move on campus if the offer came up . Living away can be a trek, houses can be shit, landlords twats. On Campus means you meet people, have more time for societies and clubs and have a nice warm , clean place of your own but on the downside your house mates can be complete wankers. But should you wish, you never have to talk to them. The perfect arrangment in my opinion.

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

If you can go for on campus. But it's a big if. Where are you from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Def go campus if U can... I think 1st years are given preference so you migh have a chance... It's the only way to really experience everything that goes on in Belfield... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Allocation policy <---- that tells you how it's divided up.

Try campus for 1st year if you can, then move in with friends if you like. That'd be my recommendation. Moving in with friends in 1st year can limit how many new people you get to know. I'm not saying it always does, but it can.

If you live further than three hours or so from dublin, and you're in first year, you should get it. I'm from New Ross, so three hour bus ride, but I was on the cancellation list for a few weeks before I got a place.

• Advertisement

Hey 16 places for Irish speakers. Discrimination Imo but whatever. Anyway when does one apply and how?

"Eligible under contribution to UCD life/Medical criteria:"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I look at it that if you live outside Leinster and you're a first year its a good guarantee (tho a few Waterford friends didn't get it). If you live in Leinster then you'll probably have to reapply for that waiting list (does anyone know them dates?)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Finner

I study History of Art in UCD and think it's really interesting! First year was a good overview of the History of Art from Greek art and architecture to modernism. Second year was a bit more boring but it should be different I'm sure for you because of this Horizons thing. I'm heading into 3rd year next year and the choices seem pretty exciting and interesting. There's also the option of studying a year abroad (which I'm just finishing this year) to various cities in Europe (I'm in Rome). I would definitely recommend it if you're interested in Art History because you learn a whole lot of new things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Hello! Just finished final year art history and totally agree with Finner (Hi Gráinne!).
    Its a great course if you are interested in art history, but they won't expect you to know loads when you get there. You'll need to be visual but its such a lovely subject. Come on, looking at paintings all day, its not too bad.

Anyway first year is a survey course of all of art history, currently its modern art, the Renaissance, and Baroque art.

Second year currently has modern architecture (One of the best courses I did, fully recommend it!), Ancient art, Modern art and Irish art.

Third year is seminars and lectures. You can do a 5,000 word dissertation (I did this, its great, any topic you want and not too long) Also Caravaggio and Caravaggism was brilliant. We went on a trip to London. You'll go on gallery trips sometimes instead of having classes.

There isn't a huge amount of essays but then I wasn't modularised. I don't think they'll have increased the coursework by too much.

Anyway, the staff are lovely and if you have anymore questions just ask.
    I totally recommend it, I've applied to the MA in Art History next year! So I really do recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Hi as a horizons student I just thought I'd give a little lowdown, personally I found the workload huge with art history but I also enjoyed however, I didn't go onto to do it in second year so I can only speak from a first year perspective. The courses were very interesting, espicially the baroque and renaissance, but also the modern art and tools were interesting as well. There is a huge amount of reading (if you want to do well). For each module we got between 2-3 assigments before the exams, so for instance in the baroque module we had one essay and a slide test, followed by the exam, for the renaissance we had two assigments (both in the national gallery) - you will get to know the national gallery like your best friend. For tools of art we had three assignments plus exam. My advice is if you really love art, are visual and really want to do this then go for it, but don't take other subjects that require huge reading (I did english, philosophy and film studies for my other subjects in first year - the reading was enormous, I had nine essays/assignments in the first semester and ten in the second, so don't make my mistake). I didn't continue because I got into mode 1 english and that is what I love, but I would recommend the art history, they are very nice and helpful in the department. Although history itself has a lot of reading, it may be helpful to do alongside history of art because art history is not just looking at pictures, you need to know the historical context behind it, for example in the renaissance it was important to know the role of the patron, cultural movements and so forth, espicially the role of the church as well (they were the biggest patrons and art was often used as propoganda) so just something to think about. As for the campus situation I don't know as I commute (I have to) but I did have a friend on campus (he was a year exchange student) and he had a fantastic experience and made a huge amount of friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 banana-were-cat

oh im from offaly, birr, so its about a 2 and a half hour bus ride. (bear in mind though that it's a slow bus...)

and i was thinking of going for art hist, archaeology and psychology.

and thanks everyone for being so helpful, for a minute there i expected to be shunned...:o

Birr? Well according to the AA roadwatch site it's 144km from Birr to Dublin, for me it was 148km (New Ross). And afaik I was extremely close to getting a place (Some people from Ross did get in, I didn;t sort of thing). SO you may just about be alright.

If you have anyone you could stay with in Dublin, then my suggestion would be to go for it then, if you don't get it, get on the cancellation list asap. I got a place from there a few weeks into the term, so you'll probably be the same. But I would be sure and have a backup place to stay for a few weeks if you don't get the place straight away, it's extremely crap to get caught out like that.

well I can say that if you have an interest in Archaeology before taking the course its amazing. If you are just looking for easy marks however you will be bored shitless abd get a pass grade as its not as easy as you would think.

Finally , im from Templeogue and thats a two and a half hour bus journey :p

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭katarin

Blush_01 wrote:
    Moving in with friends in 1st year can limit how many new people you get to know. I'm not saying it always does, but it can.

this is definatly true in my experience. I moved in with my friends from school in first year. first year is generally the first year people move out of their parents house and experience living with other people and taking care of themselves. I dont know about anyone else but after my disasterous first year living experience, i wasnt on speaking terms with the people i lived with. and when second year came along, i didnt know what to do coz i didnt know anyone in college well enough to move in with them because id skipped college rather than getting busses or had to leave college early so i wasnt getting into the city centre (where i lived) late at night.

advice: apply for campus and stick with it till you get it. theres bound to be drop outs in the first few weeks if your application fails.

other option: apply for griffith college campus accomodation! its a good way to get to know the buses to ucd (something that you dont learn when living on campus generally, with the exception of maybe the 10). also, your put in a room with someone so an instant friendship with that person - or the other two people in the cosy and comfortable apartments is forged. its also campus accom. so as an inexperienced first year you wont be screwed over by a seemingly harmless but undoubtedly cruel landlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I heard archaeology is very boring in UCD in first year though I understand it gets better in second and third year. I would not recommend you to do psychology as it is only offered in first year on the arts degree, so lets say you dislike archaeology, you will be forced to take it up in second year as it is mandatory to drop psychology and it is also mandatory to take up 2 subjects in second year unless you can do a single honours major which I do not believe art history does, although I am not sure. I did English, it is a handy number as there is no exams in first year its all marked on essays done. Hope I was of assistance.

Advertisement