Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

report on Irish schools

Options
  • 19-06-2007 8:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi!

I'm preparing my report on Irish schools for my university course: That's why I have a quite important question: Is it possible to do every Leaving Certificate at every school or can you at a secondary school only do the established programme, for example? Thanks for helping me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Are you talking about LCA etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ulrike

Yes. I read that there are three examination: The Established LC, the LCVP and the LCA. And that there are secondary, vocational, community and comprehensive schools. So I'm a bit confused;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

Different schools offer different ones. Some schools only offer the established LC, some do Established and LCVP, some do all three. I would assume that all schools offer the leaving cert applied

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

ulrike wrote:
    Yes. I read that there are three examination: The Established LC, the LCVP and the LCA. And that there are secondary, vocational, community and comprehensive schools. So I'm a bit confused;)

Students who take LCVP also sit the established LC. It's basically like an extra subject to teach skills like CV preparation and report writing. http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=17216&pcategory=17216&ecategory=17233&sectionpage=&subject=17649&language=EN&link=&page=

LCA, on the other hand, is a completely different course with different subjects and is designed for 'weaker' students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sunflowerz

Only Certain schools offer the LCA
    i.e. disadvantaged schools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Yeah thats true, my school doesn't offer LCA

You need certain facilities to do LCA. Like an absolutely massive Home Ec room is one I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

That would be the only facility because my school does LCA and the Home Ec room is sufficient although they don't have to pick that subject so you could have a school where no extra facilities are required.

I think a school would introduce an LCA Scheme if they find theres a high drop-out rate for Junior Cert. These drop-outs would then be encouraged to do LCA and that's why certain schools may introduce it.

But they'd still have to put the facilities in place in case someone wants to do said subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Hey it's not just disadvantaged schools that offer LCA, a lot of ordinary public schools so. My school does, not a gigantic drop-out rate, but a good few unable for Leaving Cert. LCVP as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ulrike

Thank you so much for the information!

Advertisement