Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ISM Webpage

Options
  • 19-06-2007 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

http://www.ism.ie/advanceddriving_introduction.php

From here:
    You must be conscious of the fact that it is very easy to startle other drivers with this manouver, and great care must be taken. Usually you should preceed such a pass by raising (flashing) your headlights, or at low speeds by a toot of the horn. It is also worth mentioning that if the speed differential between you and the vehicle you're passing is quite large, it is sometimes benificial to slow down somewhat as you pass.

This gives me an image of racing up behind someone and flashing your lights or beeping your horn, then overtaking them .......

I would recon this would give alot of people the wrong impression.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Don't see anything wrong with that. I have done this before, only when the driver in front seems to be taken little or no notice to other road users. 1 quick flash of the lights just to let them know I am behind and about to pass. This usually causes the driver in front to look in their rearview mirror, they will then see you indicating and speed up to stop you overtaking......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I haven't heard of this technique before but the ISM is a disgrace. I would never recommend them to anyone. The level of respect shown by their instructors in Ranelagh to other road users is an indicator of their commitment to road safety. When one of the largest driving schools in the country behave like this then we don't have a chance of reducing the number of road deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd like to see someone try flashing and beeping a garda before overtaking and seeing how far "but the ISM advanced instructor told me to do it" gets them. Whatever the intent, it sounds like something that would be interpreted by most people as aggressive driving.

Advertisement