Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid question re graphics card.

Options
  • 19-06-2007 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys. Im thinking of getting the kids a PC and I have looked at a couple of the Dell lot but as someone who knows very little about these things I get a bit confused with the terminology. What is integrated graphics?

The PC will be used for school work (I hope) and obviously playing games. Is there anything else I should watch out for. Im looking at something like this

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Integrated graphics are poor for performance and would be best suited playing older games or newer games on very low settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Integrated graphics are poor for performance and would be best suited playing older games or newer games on very low settings.
    Any thoughts on what type of card I should look out for with the Dell PC's. Im on a budget here so cant afford to over-spend.

The games they play at the moment can all be played (or most of them anyhow) on my PC which has a 256mb card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Do you know the name of the card in your current machine you can find out by going into the device manager and looking under the display adapters section.

How much is in your budget to spend as for example on that Dell you link to the X1300 is going for €87 which is a rip off for a card of that type.

In the after market you can get much better value like this GeForce 8500GT for €72.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not really about the amount of memory. You can technically get a 128mb card that will outperform a 512mb card. Often, you'll find manufacturers give low end cards excessive amounts of memory that the card can't even make use of just to appeal to those that aren't up to speed on them.

Depending on what your kids play really I suppose, but generally Dell PCs either come with integrated 6150LE or the X3100, both just OK for older stuff like HL2, Far Cry, that kind of stuff, but nothing remotely modern. The most commmon dedicated card, i.e not integrated (integrated is a card that is part of the motherboard) is the 7300LE/X1300Pro - a tiny step up from integrated but still very poor.

To be honest, if you're going Dell, your best option is to just buy the machine and insert a new card yourself at a later date, as even upgrading through Dell will cost you an arm and a leg. Also, be careful what you buy - while most if not all current Dell machines have pci-e slots needed for a dedicated graphics card, some of the case designs only allow for single slot cooled cards, which would handicap your future proofing ability. Maybe post here with the models you were looking at?

Also, why not try Komplett? True, Dell do often offer unbeatable deals with monitors and the like, but in terms of a well rounded games orientated machine, unless you get a very good offer from Dell, you'll be better served from Komplett. For about 800-900 you'll get a machine that will tear through ANY game right now, let alone kids ones.

edit: Looking at the Dell you've linked to, it is a fantastic deal. I'd recommend you go to the 4400+ for the extra 48 euro too, to maximise future proof. However as I mentioned the problem lies in the case design - it will only take half height cards, which means the best card you will get is the low profile X1600Pro or the 8500GT. Both of which, while functional, are poor for any intensive gaming, and will start to show their age in the next few months in particular. Most people use these for media PCs etc rather then actual gaming. Maybe it doesn't matter, especially if it's only kids games....but just j
    keep it in mind, its a shame to be handicapped straight away with a new machine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd have to agree with havok. Komplett are great for computers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

buying from dell is a bad idea over all tbh.

One thing that will absolutly rinse your performance especially in playing games will be vista. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly smoking crack.

Thanks lads for the replies. Plenty to think about now.

I will check the card details on my PC a wee bit later and post up the details (Im on the work PC at the moment) I will also post up the names of a couple of the latest games they play

red_ice wrote:
    buying from dell is a bad idea over all tbh.

One thing that will absolutly rinse your performance especially in playing games will be vista. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly smoking crack.

I puffed a wee bit in my younger days ;) Maybe thats what happened me.

Funny enough I was intending to buy with windows and not vista as I have heard a few people complaining about it. It seems Dell give you the option and on a general note I have now had 3 different Dell machines and apart from a spot of bother with a DVD drive in one of them I never had any trouble with them.

Just checked the PC I have. I got a graphics card installed about a year ago and it is a GeForce 6200 - 256mb and its playing all the games the boys have.

A couple of the "newish" games they have are - Medieval 2 total war, Prey, Titan Quest, Age of Empires 1, 2 & 3 (they always go back to those :) )

As I said those games are all playing fine so basically Im looking to get a machine with similar graphics and capabilities. Im trying not to go over the €600 mark and if anyone has any recommendations I would happy to explore them.

I will take a look through the dell lot a bit later and maybe post up a link or two to what I think I might go for and then get all your opinions. I think I may well get something along the lines that a decent card can be added into later and as HavoK said I will need to watch out for the casing design.

Thanks again for all the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 6200 is a low end card and the 7300/X1300 will actually possibly outperform it even, as poor as they are. But those type cards are, to be honest, a dreadful shame to be putting into a new machine when it is being used for gaming. Seeing as the games they play are actually proper games (I had educational stuff in mind...:D ), I really would strongly advise against the C521, it's not going to be long before the likes of the 6200 and 7300 will be worthless entirely for games - and I mean that games won't run at all, not even just at low settings, which they must be using already....

untitledgm2.jpg

Take a look at that, 605 when I configure ultra budget. X2 3800+, 2Gb Ram, X1650XT (If you've been using a 6200 for new games, this is about 4x as powerful and will blow them away), as well as a nice spacious case for upgrading not to mention you can overclock if you want to, and a psu that will support better cards in future unlike the Dell one you've looking at. True, no monitor, but it is hard to beat Dell for the all round family package....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

That's a good offer that Havok pointed out but if you really want o go with the Dell then if the 6200 is the current card really almost anything is a step up from that like the GeForce 8500GT I linked too.

8T8 wrote:
    That's a good offer that Havok pointed out but if you really want o go with the Dell then if the 6200 is the current card really almost anything is a step up from that like the GeForce 8500GT I linked too.

Does the x1650 not outperform the 8500gt?

Advertisement