Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points for Litter

Options
  • 19-06-2007 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard of this new proposal - throwing litter out of your car will incur a penalty point on your licence.

Living in a great nation of clots, I'm delighted to see some initiative been taken to clamp down on those who litter - take a walk down any main road, ring road, bypass or boreen to see the amount of crap that's been dumped.

However, why not enforce the current legislation on littering that is already in existance, rather that bringing in parrallel legislation via the penalty point scheme.

I cannot see how littering has become a motoring offence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Agreed. I cant see why a fine cant do instead.

Worst I ever saw was a car a few years ago dropping a full bag of McDonalds foods out the rear window.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

gyppo wrote:
    why not enforce the current legislation on littering that is already in existance, rather that bringing in parrallel legislation via the penalty point scheme.

I cannot see how littering has become a motoring offence.

I heard this idea on the news last night, it doesn't make sense to me. I'm all in favour of preventing/deterring littering, but doing so through the penalty point system makes no sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Bad idea because Penalty points were introduces to promote road safety.

Littering, while a bad problem, is not a road safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I wouldn't be a bit worried. The idiots that thought this was possible, the intellectually-challenged that actually came up with this concept, are the tidy towns committee. It's a littering offense, not a driving offense, and should be dealt with accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Agreed on this. Think that littering should impose a fine even a hefty fine but not penalty points as it really nothing to do with driving. Do you get penalty points for walking too fast????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I just knew the greens in govt would be trouble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Bond-007 wrote:
    I just knew the greens in govt would be trouble.

Why? Was it the greens in govt that proposed this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No, but they will surely try to implement it as gormless said last night on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Strange alright ... really can't see how littering can be a motoring offense. Fair enough, as someone posted , somebody throwing a big bag of McD's out the window is dangerous.... But I've never encountered any big problems with litter from cars .. the odd cigarette butt maybe.

A fine definately, but not points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

egan007 wrote:
    Bad idea because Penalty points were introduces to promote road safety.

Littering, while a bad problem, is not a road safety issue.

Are you kidding ?? I thought you being a biker you'd know that littering from a moving vehicle is fairly dangerous.

Ask any biker and I'm sure they'll have several stories about getting hit with things being thrown from cars including lit fags, cans and even nappies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

KTRIC wrote:
    Are you kidding ?? I thought you being a biker you'd know that littering from a moving vehicle is fairly dangerous.

Ask any biker and I'm sure they'll have several stories about getting hit with things being thrown from cars including lit fags, cans and even nappies.

Full of s.h.i.t

Not you, the nappy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

KTRIC wrote:

I'd hazard a guess though that the impetus behind this is environmental, and sfa to do with road safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

KTRIC wrote:

Aye... Half a carton of milk! F*ckin skangers...
    (good shot though :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

prospect wrote:
    Full of s.h.i.t

Not you, the nappy?

It wasn't me (luckily) but I believe the nappy was full.

KTRIC wrote:
    It wasn't me (luckily) but I believe the nappy was full.

I someone threw a crappy nappy out their car window and it hit me on the bike I would take great pleasure in following them home, and taking a massive dump on their bonnet. Also leave a little note in their windscreen window reminding of why there was a large turd on their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

While I would be all in favour of stiffer punishments for littering e.g. cigarette butt out the car windows means you get a lit cigarette jammed up your left nostril + thousand Euro fine, this has nothing to do with motoring and shouldn't be a points offence.

blastman wrote:
    While I would be all in favour of stiffer punishments for littering e.g. cigarette butt out the car windows means you get a lit cigarette jammed up your left nostril + thousand Euro fine, this has nothing to do with motoring and shouldn't be a points offence.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

KTRIC wrote:

read this thread and thought of the 'Worst thing thats ever hit you from the car in front' thread from the motorbike section (search cant find it though :mad: )

penalty points wont do anything though, it'll just go the way of mobile phone use - stop making more laws, start enforcing current ones :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

KTRIC wrote:

Well I under stand from that point of view -
    I would however being in favour of a 100Euro fine rather than PP

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well, obviously the points would only be applied where someone was caught ejecting litter from their vehicle, and not for just littering anywhere.

As KTRIC says, ejecting litter from a moving vehicle is a safety issue for motorcyclists (and to a lesser extent cyclists), though I wouldn't say it's a huge one.

As pointed out, it's enforcement that's the problem, not the law. The fines for littering are huge, as they are for dumping, but the chances of getting caught are minimal. So too would it be with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

egan007 wrote:
    Well I under stand from that point of view -
    I would however being in favour of a 100Euro fine rather than PP

From memory I think the current fine is €125 for littering from a vehicle. Have seen a couple of fines come in for this and been amazed at the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Whilst I am not condoning littering and support serious fines for offenders,
    hell give them a €500 fine for 1st offense, what the hell has this got to
    do with motoring and road safety? If one throws a piece of paper from their
    car they get penalty points, but if they park and leave their car and then
    drop some paper they just get the fine. Only in Ireland would we put up with
    a proposal like this.What about cyclists and pedestrians, whys should they
    get a lesser penalty than motorists?

What's next, getting penalty points for not having a TV license or not having
    your do dog on a leash?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

KTRIC wrote:

Is it anymore dangerous than someone throwing a lit fag or any other rubbish from the footpath.!!! Should a person get penalty points for any type of littering in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

There's nothing worse than a fresh nappy to the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,343 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

unkel wrote:

How many times have we seen this - instead of enforcing current legislation, lets come up with another way of being seen to address a problem??
    Surely if a guard see's a person littering from a car, can they not apply the terms of the current litter act. FFS, section 27 of this act specifically relates to vehicles.
    http://acts.oireachtas.ie/zza12y1997.6.html#zza12y1997s27

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

barryfitz wrote:
    Is it anymore dangerous than someone throwing a lit fag or any other rubbish from the footpath.!!!
    Yes it is. :)

There was a big thread on it but rubbish thrown out a car window, particularly cigarettes, have a tendency to hit a biker that's driving behind you, no matter what way you throw it out your window (it has to do with air currents).

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

. But I've never encountered any big problems with litter from cars .. the odd cigarette butt maybe.

A fine definately, but not points.

I think it's a great idea, but as always it won't be enforced.

Litter is repugnant and a sign that you don't care about your society. anyone i've ever seen flicking anything out of a car window is usually a low-life who should be off the road.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

anyone i've ever seen flicking anything out of a car window is usually a low-life who should be off the road.:mad:

And with regard to pedestrians that litter, do you propose they should
    be off the path? Nothing but discrimination against motorists yet again.

• Advertisement

I think it's a great idea, but as always it won't be enforced.

Litter is repugnant and a sign that you don't care about your society. anyone i've ever seen flicking anything out of a car window is usually a low-life who should be off the road.:mad:

At the end of the day, littering is totally seperate from motoring related offences - so why should there be a penalty point applied to motorist's that litter? There is already legislation in place to deal with littering - why not enforce that?

Advertisement