Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music

Options
  • 19-06-2007 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

hey im wondering can one download just the themes of tchykovsky because im useless at following the score !!! if it is not possible i would like to know at what times they occur and even the times of the sections . E.G. Introduction 0.00 minutes. Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sunflowerz

• intro 0:00
    • expo 5:21
    • develop 10:44
    • recap 13:01
    • coda 17:11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

Hey Music people we could use this thread for something useful!! How about a MUSIC POP QUIZ!! eh eh :) Ok either someones gona answer my question or this is going to be an embarrassing flop!

ok here goes

Q. As regards Bach Cantata No.78, what is a melisma?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ron-burgandy

Melisma/melismatic music -Singing more than one note per syllable. Opposite of syllabic.

Q. Explain what is meant by the following compositional techniques in Gerald Piece:
    1. Wedging
    2. Splicing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

yeah nice idea - It is One Syallable spread over many Notes.. Used to convey he meaning of the text !!! What is A Chaconne????

Wedging
    Useing bigger meldoic intervals which streches the melody it invloves rasing notes by semi-tones e.g in theme C2

Splicing??

Chaconne
    Like a ground bass where the vocal and instrumental 'ostinato' parts move out of the bass and into the higher vocal and instrumental parts!

Q.What is Splicing as regards the Gearld Barry Piece?

• Advertisement

Splicing - Opposite of wedging, "splicing" the intervals closer together.

Don't think it actually appears in the Gerald Barry piece at all, sorry. My music teacher told us it was, but he isn't the best.

What part of the exam is Chaconne related to??

What part of the exam is Chaconne related to??

Bach ---- You can see it on the first page of the score (Chorus) in the continuo bars 1-5.,, the repeating theme

What solo instrument plays the section 'Hommage a Horowitz' in Barry's Quartet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tomlowe

piano, aisy

identify 2 features of tchaikovsky's style evident in the strife theme of romeo and juliet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 annabanana

1.use of short intense motifs
    2.use of chromaticism
    3.use of colourful orchestration(eg isolated syncopated b minor chords on ww
    and brass)

In Barry's work,how is D1 similar to B1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

drone feature??

name and describe two production techniques used in Queen

• Advertisement

overdubbing - recording a part over a previous track on a multitrack recorder
    multitracking - a recording technique where tracks can be recorded simultaneously or one at a time. The seperate tracks can then be brought together on a master tape

Describe ritornello form as heard in the Bach piece

returning theme found in first movement known as the "theme of confidence", appears mostly in the non vocal sections.

in early baroque music the term riternello form was used to describe the first or last movement in which the instruments were divided into solo and tutti, alternating with each other

I have another definition of Ritornello aswel

A recurring theme which makes frequent appearences and is contrasted with episodes.

Q.What is 'Figured Bass' as used in Bach?

p.s I have a feeling that Bo Rhap is going to be the long question tomorrow! But i also had a feeling that Bishop was going to come up in English so don't go by me hehe :D

figured bass: baroque system of adding figures to a continuo bass line, a shorthand code for harmonies to be played by the keyboard player.

discuss the role of the ceili band in the 1940s and 1950s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

fionated7 wrote:
    figured bass: baroque system of adding figures to a continuo bass line, a shorthand code for harmonies to be played by the keyboard player.

discuss the role of the ceili band in the 1940s and 1950s.

Uhm.. Ceili bands were developed with response to other forms of dance music such as Jazz in America. Traditionally irish music was played by soloists, but Ceili Bands formed groups of musicians to play music that could be danced to, even using non-traditional instruments such as drumkits. One such group was Ceoltoiri Culainn, formed by Sean O'Riada, who later changed their name to The Cheiftans and are still performing today.

Name 3 recording and instrumental techniques used in Bohemian Rhapsody.

thanks, thats what i shall be writing if ceili bands are asked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

ok I know it's a bit late now, but this was extremely useful in my revision this evening!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_terminology

In other news: My last exam, so certainly won't be coming on here to post-mortem it till sunday at the earliest.. hello drunkeness my old friend!!!

Advertisement