Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP home setup not copying...halting on certain files @ 63%

• 19-06-2007 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Currently trying to reinstall XP home. Formatting went OK, its the copying files bit that I'm having trouble with (blue background and white text bit). I have tried different CDs, but the same occurs.

Is this a sign of a dodgy hard disk? I've used the same XP CD many times before without this happening.

Any ideas?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Does it stop completely with the BSOD or does it say it cannot find a certain file
    retry or ignore

Is it always at the same spot

I had one that did that in the end it turned out to be the CPU was ****ed after eliminating everything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Can be anything from bad cd to dodgy motherboard. If it cant copy a file and gives you the option to retry, sometimes if you keep retrying it will go on. Though it might stop somewhere else then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

ooopsss...when i say "blue background and white text", it's not a BSOD... Its the screen with the yellow progress bar.

it says it cannot find a certain file retry or ignore etc etc

I'm trying another XP disc which seems to be working, but i guarantee you the XP disc whcih can't be copied from, will work in another PC/laptop. I have another reinstall to do today, so I will try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

humaxf1 wrote:
    ooopsss...when i say "blue background and white text", it's not a BSOD... Its the screen with the yellow progress bar.

it says it cannot find a certain file retry or ignore etc etc

I'm trying another XP disc which seems to be working, but i guarantee you the XP disc whcih can't be copied from, will work in another PC/laptop. I have another reinstall to do today, so I will try it.

have you tried to ignore the missing file and see if the installation will continue on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I tried a brand new HDD and setup copied files no problem...looks like the original HDD is dodgy. CD also worked fine in another PC, so CD is OK!

From previous experience, if you skip even a few of the files, windows doesn't play ball fully. Error messages when you try to install software/drivers etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement