Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding up Vista

• 19-06-2007 11:32am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My brother bought a new laptop :

Acer 3693WLMi
    1.73GHz
    512MB RAM

which came with MS Vista Basic pre-installed.

Now while Vista maybe pretty I'm pretty sure that putting it on a machine with only 512MB isn't the best idea in the world as this thing is as slow as hell to do anything. Once the system boots it's already using 414MB and doesn't take long before I'm using virtual memory.

So are there any options I an disable/turn-off to speed up the machine?
    Buying more memory is a solution but not the one I'm looking for here :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭wba88

Google will help you. i took a few of the fancy things off and its grand now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I know you don't want to hear this, but I got a laptop from Dell (similar spec), with 1gb of RAM. Replacing the 2 512s for 2 1gbs cost about €90, and made a huge huge difference.

You can also use a USB2 flash drive as virtual memory - its supposed to work better than it sounds! :)

As wba88 said, google for vista speed tips and that should help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Cheers lads.

Memory is probably the only solution as I just checked the system resources and saw:

Physical Memory (MB)
    Total 501
    Cached 146
    Free 31

and that's just after a reboot and nothing memory hunry running in the background !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Ponster wrote:
    Cheers lads.

Memory is probably the only solution as I just checked the system resources and saw:

Physical Memory (MB)
    Total 501
    Cached 146
    Free 31

and that's just after a reboot and nothing memory hunry running in the background !
    Vista uses a different memory model than previous versions of Windows that basically says that RAM sitting empty is fair cop, which makes sense. As long as the memory between applications is managed well, there is little sense in allowing RAM to sit there doing nothing when it can be used to precache frequently used applications or the likes for quicker startup times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If he's not willing to spend a little cash on extra memory, a fast USB memory stick as mentioned before is a good idea. Vista's "Ready Boost" feature will use this to supplement your system's memory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

buy some more ram, its dirt cheap compared to a few months ago

Advertisement