Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have I borked my rig?

Options
  • 19-06-2007 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I can't believe I've possibly fooked my new quad-core build already!
    Last night I swapped the stock HSF for a Tuniq.

Took out mobo, attached tuniq, replaced mobo, all goes wrong from there!

The POST LCD on the striker extreme mobo shows CPU INIT and the machines refuses to boot.

I've tried so far to reseat all cables, the gfx card. I removed the sound card, checked all hdd cables, took out and reseated memory, disconnected IDE cable to CDROM's and cleared CMOS but is just won't boot.

Any ideas? I'm starting to think about having a panic attack!

I suppose next thing is strip to the bare bones out of the case, mobo, ram and gfx and see what happens from there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Take out the mobo and boot it outside of the case. Try it with the stock HSF again. I've had those heart palps before. But it usually turned out to be the dreaded ID10t error ;) Reseat the CPU, it probably hasn't dropped fully back into the socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Strange thing is I didn't take the cpu out of the socket. I applied the thermal paste as outlined on the arctic silver website and put the hsf on top. All seemed very easy (except connecting a few cable around the tuniq - big momma)

I figured that was the next step - damn, I hate computers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I love and hate when things like this happen. I mean I would hate a problem, stress free build as much as a build plagued by problems. Boring is as bad frustrating to me.

Just do it in baby steps. Take the mobo out of the PC and boot it with one stick of ram, the stock HSF and gfx card (use onboard where available) Check your power connections on the mobo, those quads need a very stable supply of volts.

Cheers, Liam!

Happy days!!!

I removed the mobo, reseated the CPU and the hsf and I tried it outside the case - bingo!

Obviously I was careless somewhere along the way yesterday.

Thanks again L31mr0d for the verbal hug biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement