Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't start a home server for internet!

• 19-06-2007 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

My ISP is actually my neighbour who provides broadband as his own personal business and he has tried to help me but now I turn to you, I need to know if anyone could tell me what types of Broadband Cannot start a server, because it's an easier way for me to find out if I have a chance or if I should just give up and play on someone else's server. Also please don't reply asking if I have done this or that because I have already.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

. Also please don't reply asking if I have done this or that because I have already.:rolleyes:

Thats a good start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Why exactly do you want to run your own server from home? If you want a server, just rent one!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 SprayonCrayons

I just want to be able to start one at home because I like to play CoD and having a server would let me control the maps, gametypes, mods, etc. I do not have the means for renting a server. ie - no credit card

Then I'm afraid I cannot help you... I only ever had proper professional servers with an ftp, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Maybe if you provide us with specifically what you've done so far we might be able to help. To be honest, what you've posted is so vague I'd doubt anyone would be able to help you. It's like going to a doctor and telling him to give you medication because you have a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 SprayonCrayons

I need to know if anyone could tell me what types of Broadband Cannot start a server

I'm not looking for how to start one, I'm just asking if anyone knows what types of broadband cannot support a server, for example I think that my broadband is ip address forwarding. If there is no easy answer to this question I'm sorry for asking I'm a bit of a newbie to computer gaming and internet config or settings :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

To be honest I don't think a home based server will ever do that well in terms of numbers of players. Presumably it will only be up when you want to play and therefore getting regular players will not happen.

You would be much better off renting one as suggested or finding another server that you like and becoming a regular/join the clan. Ingratiate yourself to the clan leader by any means possible (server payment contributions, se**al favours, etc, etc).

Good luck with it anyway though.

Ludo wrote:
    [...]You would be much better off renting one as suggested or finding another server that you like and becoming a regular/join the clan. Ingratiate yourself to the clan leader by any means possible (server payment contributions, se**al favours, etc, etc).

LOL Ludo! :D

Advertisement