Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake Wars Beta - get it!

Options
  • 19-06-2007 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

Hey all just to let ppl know that the open beta of Quake wars is now available to fileplanet subscribers - it will be availabe (limited) to non-paying subscribers soon also
    http://www.fileplanet.com

heres a vid i made of some of the action
    http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=346357
    its not edited very well but igve u a bit of a fel of some of the movement of the game which currently feels a little laggy and unoptimised.

Not gonna give away too much but i will say there is a LOT of fun stuff to do in this game and its shaping up to be quite good.

*Graphics are nice, it looks like quake 4 and has NO draw distance
    *sound is good and the weapons and chatter sounds realistic and authentic
    *Gameplay speed run at roughly the same speed as quake 4 but with going prone ala enemy territory added.
    *overall gameplay mechanic is like the bastard child of ET mixed with some BF stuff - but witha quake theme.
    *some vehicles feel a bit wobbly and are awkward to use
    *The quad bikes and the icarus jump pack thingies are a lot of fun but other that the vehicles arent as dominant as they are in the BF series.

the game is quite laggy at the moment and feels a bit off with the guns spraying a bit - weapons are mostly hitscan weapons

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's a lot faster than Quake 4 if you pick the right weapon and sprint-strafe jump. Hilariously so because not many people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Well played it there for about 30 mins - hour

AND

Well..lets just say im glad i paid for $15 fileplanet subscription because it will possibly save me wasting money on this game :eek:

Where do i start ???

- Anyone expecting gameplay similar to BF2....you will be SORELY dissapointed
    - As the above post says...There is WAY to much clutter on the screen at time and its quite confusing :confused:
    Im used to BF2 and Mmorpgs, so i can handle many things going on at once..but this is just Messy :(
    So combat from a distance first...well..i couldnt drive the small Strogg tank at all...just keep driving into walls :confused: ...and the Human jeeps n stuff handle terribly
    :mad:
    There wasnt a jet / chopper in sight...which i was looking forward to having a go of :(
    Actually...in the control options menu..there is no specific vehicle control section to speak of..just global controls which would apply to all vehicles :(

So..i tried sniping...was going ok for oh....about 20 secs..till i noticed that the enemy have these poxy jetpacks that they just fly round the map on, and of course...Beta out..first map...some idiot bunnyhopping his ass off :mad: :mad: :mad: already.

So said..screw that..,not gonna try snipe these bungy chord mofos rocket boostin themselves everywhere...so took up an assault rifle and went to try do one of the objectives...:cool: ...construct some thingy to lower their shields

Got up close..and then it was mayhem...just like Being in a Quake or UT2004 Free for all. Ppl hopping round everywhere, sprayin their ass off, as the weapons have no accuracy whatsoever :eek: all these futuristic thing suck tbh.
    If you complained about 2142...just dont even try the game

Also...at a distance...its quite hard to distinguish enemy from friend, until you notice the BIG RED TRIANGLE thats over their head...like....paint a bullseye on me pls while your at it:confused:

Thes are my inital impressions, ill give it another go tomorrow and then make my mind up, but atm im not convinced at all :eek:
    Plus you only get 1 map to play on and its already getting boring with the bunnyhoppers and spawncampers

Did i mention the Graphics ??
    I was expecting to be blown away....:)
    but...just like the rest of the game..dissapointed
    My options by default were set to V.HIGH and some on ULTRA so i was expecting good things.
    Its 'meh' at best. I feel BF2 is better tbh

Anyways, full verdict tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A quick ET:QW video, featuring the Strogg remote drone:

My first look at it was that I dislike the weird names the Scrogg weaponry has, but I'll get used to it.

I didn't like trying to fly the Scrogg thing. No the jetpack, the yoke at the back of the base. Ended up on my back:o Would hope they implement joystick control soon.

The human sniper-gun is nice, zooms in quite well, but the recoil is pretty extreme. The strogg sniper has a railgun. Nice, slow, and if you miss the enemy, they'll just have to follow the orange stream that will lead straight back to you:mad:

The human tanks are good, but the turrets zip around too easily. The jeeps are nice and fast.

The strogg mechs are cool, and the jumpjet things are sort of handy.

Those looking for something akin to BF2, flag wise will be disappointed, as its more so like RTCW:Enemy Terroritory, regarding you complete one objective, and you move on, you blow the gate, you move on, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

can you only download this if you're a fileplanet subscriber?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Ye atm thats the only way :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its out on torrents but you need the key to plaay online.

kdjac

Free subs will get keys in a week or two, me thinks. Currecnt servers get a good bit of lag at times, even though they say your ping is 2 :/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the_syco wrote:
    Free subs will get keys in a week or two, me thinks. Currecnt servers get a good bit of lag at times, even though they say your ping is 2 :/
    guess i'll wait for the free subs so. curses on fileplanet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I got a key and I'm a free account.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Maddzy

Me too \o/ w00t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

After playing a couple of rounds and I have to say im not overly impressed, graphically I have everything on max and its not mind blowing. Gameplay wise its kinda all over the place, from what I've played. I'll give it a few more goes but I dont think I'll be buying this any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

V!alli wrote:
    After playing a couple of rounds and I have to say im not overly impressed, graphically I have everything on max and its not mind blowing. Gameplay wise its kinda all over the place, from what I've played. I'll give it a few more goes but I dont think I'll be buying this any time soon.

Yeah i was wondering is there was something wrong with my card or something (8800) cause the graphics are kinda a bit dodgy, i mean everything looks nice, but close up very messy...

Hopefully this is because its an earlier build :/

also is it just me, or is anyone able to join any Rackage servers? keeps telling me they're full like 24/7 even when it says only 19/24 in the server

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

yeah its happend to me quite a bit. The connection times are head wrecking too, I know they have to transmit data for testing etc etc but I was waiting near 15 minutes to connect to a server last night, I got D/C'd and I gave up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

the long load times affect me also, however, when i d/c and connect to another server with the same map, it loads almost immediately.

V!alli wrote:
    /me scratches head

Which part of "beta" do you not get?:eek:

To me, beta means "not finished". It also means that they're testing out if the servers can handle a massive amount of people joining, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Playing this game with all the "new" players who have no idea of the ET type game play objectives etc is painful. You have lots of players doing stupid things with deployable's, playing with the wrong kit, fighting at the wrong part of the map.

You shouldn't base the game on this. Get together with some people you know on voice coms and jump onto the same server. With team play in ETQW its a fecking excellent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I missed the beta by about 2 hours. IM SO PISSED OFF! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭[AK47][JONNYNEW

R0ot wrote:
    I missed the beta by about 2 hours. IM SO PISSED OFF! :mad:
    Your not missing much scrapper

aye played it.
    Didnt like it.
    2d Duke nukem is better i think.

The game play is good,
    but the graphics look like something 5 years old on full with 8800gtx.
    Dont like the way the viehical handel all glitchy,

Dont like it al all. but then the games that get all the hype usually are rubbish.
    BF2142 for example. rubbish. But the bate 2142 was better then QW

Im sticking with my Q3, as is a far superior game to Q4 and QW.

Having said all that,
    It is beta afther all,
    I will buy it, and reserve my full judgment till the full release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Im sticking with my Q3, as is a far superior game to Q4 and QW.

Take it you havent ever played qw, right?

edit: You might mean quake wars rather than quakeworld...this is gonna cause alot of confusion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

ROot you are missing out I'm afraid. If you want a go at it let me know via PM on our boards. Its gonna be the next clan game, end off there will be no argument about it. I feel it will even eclipse CS in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Well ive placed my order for the game so ill be along with the rest of you when its released officially :D

Advertisement