Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats wrong with the HD?

• 19-06-2007 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine has vista installed on 2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB drives in RAID 0. He has been backing up his DVD collection to them and had about 56Gb left on the drives.

He turned it on last night and in the boot up screen he was told there was an error on one of the drives, Vista was slow to boot and his C Drive had lost about 200Gb of data.

I told him to down load Seatools and he ran it, but it came back saying everything was fine on both the fast and long tests..............

I am not too up to speed with RAID, i know the way it works but am unsure how stable it is and what to do if it goes wrong. The drives were new as of 4 weeks ago.

Is the HDD fecked? If so is he just best off backing up all the data on them (He has 2 more 500Gb drives) and using a non RAID setup on a clean install? Hes not too clued up on all this and i don't want to have to fix it for him anytime it goes wrong.

Cheers for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

according to a quick google, RAID 0 writes data into chunks across the drives and a failure in any one drive causes data loss.

RAID 1 would be better because data on drive #1 is mirrored on drive #2. You only get the storage capacity of the smallest drive, but at least you have redundancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Yes i did look into RAID1 but he wanted more space, he has 4x500Gb drives and he will fill them too so he would need 4Tb if he was to RAID1 it all..............which is silly amounts IMO.

Advertisement