Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics: Stats

Options
  • 19-06-2007 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I hear to get a good grade you gotta stick in some history of economics and some current stats all over the place. That true you think?

Anyway anyone have any up to date stats on the Irish economy?:)

My teacher gave us these not sure if they are right tho:
    Inflation: 5%
    Unemployment 4.2%
    ECB rates: 3.75% and rising
    Nat debt: 36billion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

Well theres actually no marks set aside for current economic knowledge in the marking scheme....but it does give a good impression.Anyways go to RTEs website and go to the 606 page in the radio section.Theres a PDF file there from some big economist with suggestions on what to study for the exam, and all the up to date statistics and stuff.Also isn't our national debt only at €34 million?Ah well.Doubt they'll care that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Unemployment has gone up to 4.5%, pedantic, I know.
    Corporation tax is 12.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭The Filth

Could you post a link enemy of fate found the podcast but not that pdf,

Yeah i think ur right on the national debt...

Found some more on the ESRI site: here
    http://www.esri.ie/irish_economy/quarterly_economic_commen/latest_quarterly_economic/?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

Well theres actually no marks set aside for current economic knowledge in the marking scheme....but it does give a good impression.Anyways go to RTEs website and go to the 606 page in the radio section.Theres a PDF file there from some big economist with suggestions on what to study for the exam, and all the up to date statistics and stuff.Also isn't our national debt only at €34 million?Ah well.Doubt they'll care that much.

You mean John Morris?

http://www.rte.ie/2fm/606/

Finally!Jesus that took ****ing ages.RTE suck at organising their website.There you go anyways.They're pretty decent.
    xha1r wrote:
    You mean John Morris?
    Yeah him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭The Filth

Sound mate cheers, theyre good notes too, now all i gotta do is actually learn about the stuff they're talking about:D

I don't think i'm even going to bother (to learn them), I try to avoid the government questions as much as possible.Too many stupid questions like ''if you were advisor to the minister of finance, blah blah blah elasticity blah blah blah''.They annoy me so much!!

Anyways i'd better turn this damn computer off...I'm wasting far too much time that should be spent on working.I only came out to make a ****ing sandwhich and now i've been on the computer for over an hour.MUST.....CONCENTRATE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

Yeah him.

He's not a "big economist", he's a teacher.

I know.Maybe I should clarify, I didn't mean a big economist, I meant he was a big (but now that I think about it that was a terrible word to use anyways) economics teacher.....Yeah I can see that I wasn't very clear.My bad!

Oh god I'm struggling to work and I can feel that B1 slipping away and I feel its less likely that they'll put PC up as its too obvious. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

carlowboy wrote:
    Oh god I'm struggling to work and I can feel that B1 slipping away and I feel its less likely that they'll put PC up as its too obvious. :(
    Then stop arsing around here, whip your notes out and start learning quick. :p

Its too late! Sorry about the sob story btw....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

thanks for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rorymcn

Interest Rates went up to 4% last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

WAlso isn't our national debt only at €34 million?Ah well.Doubt they'll care that much.
    Is that all???

That's very impressive.

It's well over a trillion in the states as far as I'm aware.

Is that all???

That's very impressive.

It's well over a trillion in the states as far as I'm aware.
    Ah well we've had major budget surplusses since 2000 (I think), so of course we have a small amount of debt.It was massive back in the 80's.In 1988 (least I think it was 88...It was either 87, 88 or 89 one of those) we spent more paying the INTEREST of the ND, then we spent on education and health COMBINED....And thats just the ****ing interest on the damn thing!!!

Still though I maintain that with the amount of reserves we have from the surplus, we should just pay off the entire debt now before the recession hits.I mean i've heard all the arguments bout how its cheaper now to borrow than to pay it back, but we still have to pay interest on the damn thing!And it still amounts to a huge amount, so why not just pay the damn thing off now?!Also it would lead to a boost in confidence in our economy (which in fairness is quite high already).I mean how many countries in the world can truthful say the have no national debt?I'm willing to bet not very many.Now do as I say Bertie....or ye shall suffer.

Recession? Jaysus, you're not giving the country much chance are you?

Its 35.9 billion according to the NTMA

http://www.ntma.ie/NationalDebt/levelOfDebt.htm

35.9 million would be a ridiculous figure.

carlowboy wrote:
    Recession? Jaysus, you're not giving the country much chance are you?
    Ah but theres been a major slowdown in house purchases recently...and if that continues well then its not looking good.Now its not like we're going to end up back in the poverty of the 80's/early 90's, but there'll definitely be a decrease in economic activity for a while.
    carlowboy wrote:
    Its 35.9 billion according to the NTMA

http://www.ntma.ie/NationalDebt/levelOfDebt.htm

35.9 million would be a ridiculous figure.
    Hahaha.Whoops.I mean billion in that post!Yeah if it was only €34 M then they wouldn't have to pay it off!!The interest would only be a miniscule insignificant figure anyways (not to us obviously but to the government)!

Ah but theres been a major slowdown in house purchases recently...and if that continues well then its not looking good.Now its not like we're going to end up back in the poverty of the 80's/early 90's, but there'll definitely be a decrease in economic activity for a while.

Hahaha.Whoops.I mean billion in that post!Yeah if it was only €34 M then they wouldn't have to pay it off!!The interest would only be a miniscule insignificant figure anyways (not to us obviously but to the government)!

Relative slowdown in activity doesn't necessarily mean recession. I can't see our economy actually get a minus growth in the near future.

• Advertisement

carlowboy wrote:
    Relative slowdown in activity doesn't necessarily mean recession. I can't see our economy actually get a minus growth in the near future.
    Nor can I, but around 2013, 2014 perhaps.I mean a slowdown in the property market is usually a very big indication of the start of a possible recession

Advertisement