Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong galaxy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Looks pretty daft to me.. Interesting if it was true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The quality of the ABC article is questionable, eg:
    "The Sun's domain is flecked with ionised particles called the solar wind, which surrounds the system like a bubble. Beyond the bubble is interstellar space, which contains mostly hydrogen and helium."

That's like describing an empty swimming pool with two grains of sand in it as "contains mostly sand".

Either way, I won't lose too much sleep over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

in a link from the abc article
    The galaxy is about 42,000 light years away from the centre of our galaxy, closer than the Sagittarius dwarf galaxy, our previous closest neighbour, which is also being swallowed by the Milky Way. Canis Major may have added 1% of mass to our own galaxy, say the researchers. ...It seems that the cannibalised Canis Major galaxy does not only contribute stars to the outer reaches of the Milky Way disk, the pulled-out stream of stars may also pass close to the Sun.
    the curezone article says the sun is from the sagittarius galaxy, which i suppose it could be
    need more info, need more info....

anyway, it does answer why the milky way is at an angle in the sky, and not along the horizon, which you would expect. i never thought about it much, but thought it was due to the tilt of the earths axis??

Advertisement