Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maxi dresses

• 19-06-2007 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to get a guys prespective on this.What do guys think of maxi dresses?
    this is what maxi dresses look like for all you fashion victims:

image1xl.jpgimage3xl.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭theKED

Answer is: if you have their figure yes it looks great if your a size 10 or more you will look maternal.

Truth hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

mmmmmm...Paris Hilton...;)

Back on topic....if youve got the same shape as her then go for it.looks good on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Never knew that's what they were called but they look great in those pics.

While saying that only <size 10 can wear them is a bit OTT; I agree that they seem to suit a reasonably slender figure and decent accessories to stop them looking a bit mumsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

theKED wrote:
    Answer is: if you have their figure yes it looks great if your a size 10 or more you will look maternal.

Truth hurts.
    Size 10?!eeek!

would one of these look stupid to wear on a night out or are maxi dresses best kept to a grassy meadow on a spring day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

I think they're more a day thing, haven't really seen any girls wear them out but ya never know, could look well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Personally I think if you're short you shouldn't wear them as they'll swamp you. But they'd be good for tall girls.
    Good for hot weather but I wouldn't wear them if it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭theKED

You know what 70's disco vibe that all the girls are wearing at the moment looks awful. You know what i mean including the above mentioned Maxi dress.
    Go on to www.awear.ie www.newlook.co.uk miss selfridge and you'll see all disco trippy purple/green/yellow looking tops and dresses.
    It looks shocking. Am i the only one who's fed up of this fad?
    Sometimes i find it hard to believe that so many girls flock to styles like sheep.

I (a guy) who regularly have to walk (dragged) through shopping centre's can't believe that all the womens shops are stocking all this 70's retro crap.
    (Mind you womens clothes are considerably cheaper than mens)
    Is it because they're all so cheap. Is this why girls buy so many clothes to follow the trend?
    Here's a question for all the girls, How many items of clothing have you got at home that you've never worn?
    I often walk through and see signs for "everything E15 or E10".

When ever have you ever seen that advertised in a mans shop?

It does look hideous thou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Don't like them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They're fairly hideous. Remember the one that Colleen McLoughlin wore to the races a while back with a large belt. It was the most unflattering outfit she's worn for ages, it split her into entirely the wrong proportions

ColeenMcLPA_468x845.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dudara wrote:
    Remember the one that Colleen McLoughlin wore to the races a while back with a large belt. It was the most unflattering outfit

it was the belt and the wearer of the dress that make it hideous, not really the dress itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

panda100 wrote:
    Just wanted to get a guys prespective on this.What do guys think of maxi dresses?
    this is what maxi dresses look like for all you fashion victims:

they look nice in them photos, but id say youd need to be tall & slim. would look silly on a small person & not right for anyone with any weight at all id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I like the idea of them (especially as I'm tall-ish), but all the ones I've seen are in hideous prints and I'd like something a little more classic that I can wear for more than three months. I do think they're more of a daytime thing also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I think they look nice but like any item of clothing that is suddenly universally declared 'on trend', they will soon become ridiculous. Soon there will be hundreds of girls walking down the steet all wearing the same maxi dress, with the same print and the same inappropriate accessories. Regardless of whether or not it suits them and probably without looking at the size on the label.
    I agree that they would (generally) look ridicuolus on a short person or even an average sized person. I think these are designed for tall women - however there will be short women who can pull them off, they'll just be rare! I'm not sure about the weight comments though. I don't think they'll look any worse than other clothing on bigger people. I think it depends more on shape. If you're a bit bigger on the hip, bum, thigh area (i.e. the classic pear shape) I think they might be flattering and skim over the unattractive bits.
    Obviously they look best on 6ft slim women but I think they'd suit just your average taller girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

First of all, I hate the term "maxi-dress". It reminds me of sanitary products!

Secondly, I think one would have to be very polished (i.e. perfect nails, make-up, not a hair out of place, expensive-looking accessories) wearing one of these or else risk looking like a washed-out hippy.

So, boo from me.

And I agree with theKED - the stuff on the a-wear website these days is hideous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Cremo wrote:
    it was the belt and the wearer of the dress that make it hideous, not really the dress itself

The ugly ape-like accessory she probably had with her didn't help either. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Well Im over 6foot so at least Ive got the height thing covered. Am wearing it out tonight so hopefully will get a good reaction :)
    I thought collens outfit was nice though :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Looking at the dresses I would have one which is my favorite dress but I have it 13 years now - I am small but it is 6 inches above the ground and is a halter neck which suits me as I have a large chest, I also find that it accentuates my tiny waist while hiding my larger (but still not big, am underweight) hips. If I could get another identical or similar dress I would. Originally I wore it to the Garden Party in Trinity College but I have worn it out several times since.

Advertisement