Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Of Kerry

Options
  • 19-06-2007 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just a quick post to see who is doing the ring of kerry this year.

How there trainning is going and if they feel they need to ask any questions or unsure of anything.

How is the fundraising going ?

BR
    DADE

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Had been planning on doing it but my arm is still in a cast after breaking a finger and I don't think it'll be totally healed by then. Shame, missed that and the W200 over one stupid finger. Thinking of doing the Sean Kelly Tour instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 blacka01

Yeah did the W200, found it very tough I'm not great in the heat. Hopefully the ROK will be alot easier. Will probably do the Sean Kelly too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'll be doing it. I'll start in Beaufort so as not to have to go into town and add extra miles. I'll make up the full distance by cycling from Killarney back to Beaufort at the end.

Haven't done any training since the W200 and won't get to do any for another week (out of town without the bike). Hopefully a good session the week before will serve me well.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Im looking forward to doing it done it last few years gives the legs a chance to relax from racing and jsut enjoy the spin

The Map
    804495_RingOfKerryMap.bmp.html
    Here is the Map and the link to the site http://www.ringofkerrycycle.net/

• Advertisement

How you lads getting on with the fund raising ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 noieralc

Just started today and I have €120...not bad so far(especially for someone who hates asking for money!)
    Doing my last long cycle this Saturday(80miles) and I'm only praying this weather will turn for the good over the next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Hi guys,

I am fairly new to cycling, have just started really after 20yrs of smoking drinking and chasing women.(not running chasing):)
    I have done a few 70/80 milers in reasonable times and a few hills thrown in for good measure, in the wicklow area

Question is - is the ROK as tough as I think it will be ?

Also would I be better off to rest this weekend or give it socks and recover next week.

Thanks for the help and sorry for all the newbie type questions.

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

If you can do 70/80 miles spins, you'll kind the ROK easy. They stop at each town, so you'll be more than fine.

Would suggest,
    Sat - long spin (don't go OTT, but equal the longest spin that you have done in the last 3-4 weeks.)
    Sun - 20-30 mile recovery spin
    Mon - 30-40 Miles at normal pace

Wed & Thursday - Easy 20 Mile spins

Eat & rest well.

There is a serious pothole a few hundred metres before the Golden Nuggett pub, a few miles from the start of the cycle.
    I reported it to Kerry County Council about 6 weeks ago. My father-in-law, who lives nearby, also reported it. He said that drainage works were done at that site and that they've subsided.
    I also contacted John Sheppard of the Charity Committee. His email is with Kerry County Council (see centre column on web site).
    According to my father-in-law, the pothole is still there as of last weekend. :mad:

So, be careful at that location. If anyone falls you should have a case against Kerry County Council. I have an email record of my email to John Sheppard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

I have a few questions

What happens if you cannot finish the race - Is there a bus or some thing to go into??

Is there people to help if you get a puncture? Do u have to carry tubes?

Is there places to fill water bottles?

thanks

Also any advice would be greatly appricatied

dedon wrote:
    Is there people to help if you get a puncture? Do u have to carry tubes?
    I always carry a spare tube/tools/pump no matter how short my journey. There is advice for the Wicklow 200 cycle where they recommend carrying 2 tubes. I will be bringing a new tyre too.
    dedon wrote:
    Is there places to fill water bottles?
    The rest stops should have access to water - they are providing tea so they'll need taps to make the tea.
    dedon wrote:
    What happens if you cannot finish the race - Is there a bus or some thing to go into??
    Well, it's not a race ;)
    Email or phone Sean Scally (info on the site) to ask about what happens if you cannot finish the ride. Maybe one of the many tour buses that will be passing might be a backup plan.

dedon wrote:
    I found the ROK info sheet I got from Sean Scally:
    ROK Info wrote:
    Cycle repair people at hand, St Johns Ambulance and a variety of other groups are used to help cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kerrynoel

There are plenty of support vans following the cycle (between 8 to 10 i reckon), they are also stocked with bottled water, chocolate bars and coke etc. U get a chance to stock up at every town, and time to rest as its a charity event and the organisers go about collecting money.
    Caherciveen is the major stop for sandwiches and Tea.
    If its more power bars and energy drinks you are used to, then you are on your own. Plenty of shops to get Lucozade sport or Club energise on the way.
    U can climb into a support van if you feel like resting for a stage. People will be taking that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Presume you can throw a bag with a change of clothes into one of the support vans?. presume it will be safe?

rash wrote:
    Presume you can throw a bag with a change of clothes into one of the support vans?. presume it will be safe?

You could last year i saw people doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Thanks for the info lads..Hopefully the weather will be good

I was very impressed with the spread of food at each of the three official stops. Special mention to Sneem Hotel for putting carpet rugs in the toilet - no slipping on the tiles for those with clipless pedals.
    The support and cheers from people along the route brought a smile to my face. The lady (and her elderly mother) giving out fresh water (from the spring in their back garden) was a welcome break on the climb up to Sneem. Even Captain America needed some water there ;)
    On the way down the hill after Waterville was a young boy with a table of goodies (Fig Rolls etc; "They're free", he announced). I didn't stop but fair play to him.

The rain showers were few and short. I've got sunburn on my arms! Pity about the buckets of rain near Muckross at 4pm. They were massive drops!

Only downsides were the actions of a few cyclists - overtaking on the wrong side of the road (forcing cars into the ditch between Beaufort and Killorglin) or not going single file to let the patient drivers pass, and some littering (in one case I saw a helmet-less guy with Discovery team shorts drop a bar wrapper as we left Killorglin :mad: ).

Despite regular visits to my in-laws in Beaufort, I've never been around the Ring of Kerry, so it was great to see it. On bike is an excellent way to look around and take in the beautiful views. Next time I might go slower and enjoy the views even more.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well done. What was Moll's Gap like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Yep I would like to echo those sentiments - great event - my first and certainly not my last!

The finish line was a little disappointing - the lass with the stamp explained they had been let down - still we got it where we needed it on route.

That water stop before Sneem was the nicest water I had ever tasted, and what nice ladies they were.

great event - great people, and great weather.

• Advertisement

el tonto wrote:
    What was Moll's Gap like?
    Tiring. I dropped to the lowest on my triple. My hill training for the Wicklow 200 helped. I passed a few people who were slowly being tired out by the climb.
    RobAMerc wrote:
    The finish line was a little disappointing
    There was no one in the white tent in the car park when I went through (~4pm) so I just got back on the bike and cycled home to Beaufort. I won't complain because of the excellent work earlier in the event.
    That run out to Beaufort was tough - quite a head wind and I just wanted to fall onto the couch. My in-laws were all at the front gate to welcome me home. That was my finish line. :D

What a brilliant day!!! I've definitely been bitten by the cycling bug and am looking for my next organised cycle...

It was well organised, the start point had a great festival atmosphere, the support along the way - both from other cyclists and locals - was brilliant, the barm brack at each food stop was delish. And of course ogling fit, lycra clad men for seven hours was an added bonus(tales of which which will, I believe, convince more of my girl friends to come cycling with me. And thatmight make them understand a bit better why I now prefer to go out cycling on a sunday morning instead of drinking on a saturday night!)

The fact that I was able to keep my speed at 11mph on those two long(LONG!) climbs made me want to cry with pride when I finally got to the top!:o And thanks to everyone who cycled with me along some of the way(I managed to lose my cycling partners after a few miles from the start!) having someone to chat to every now and again was invaluable!

The only complaint I'd have of the whole day(and it's only a small one) is that the finish line wasn't advertised enough. I didn't realise that we finished in the Gleneagles, so I went on to the International and there was no one there!! I was expecting a few people to be around, to get a clap and to be able to cycle for a couple of metres waving my arms in the air(Tour de France style) but there wasn't a sinner around:confused: And I never got the last stamp on my card - the proof I needed to remind myself that, yes, I had actually cycled 112 miles:) But, I guess I'll know better next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 blacka01

noieralc wrote:
    What a brilliant day!!! I've definitely been bitten by the cycling bug and am looking for my next organised cycle...

The Sean Kelly tour next month should fit the bill so.

The ROK was a great day out, I found it alot more relaxed than the W200 (the lack of a Sally Gap or Slieve Maan might have something to do with that!) and thought it was very well organised. I especially enjoyed the cars/vans with the PA belting out the cheesy disco music - surreal! :)

On the negative side I would echo the comments of an earlier poster regarding dangerous cycling and lack of courtesy from a minority of participants :(

noieralc wrote:
    Lap the Lough is on 26 August around Lough Neagh. Quite flat. An easy drive up on the morning (from Dublin).
    The Sean Kelly Tour was mentioned. Three routes: 45km, 100km and 160km, each more hilly than the other.
    moieralc wrote:
    And of course ogling fit, lycra clad men for seven hours was an added bonus
    On the flip-side, I had the pleasure of drafting behind a fit lycra clad woman on the descent from the hill that was after Waterville. After the Sneem stop, she and her group (of guys) took off and some speed, never to be seen by me again.

HI All

Done the Ring Of Kerry on Saturday as well great day was a bit of a pain at the start as we could not find a group to get going with as every one was crawling along at snails pace. Eventully we got to Killorglan and from there we formed a good group of a about 10 riders but no one was willing to do a turn at the front Lazy feckers LOL. There was one guy i remember on a hybrid and with a bottle in hand attacked and anything that went up on the road strong as an ox but really was not used to cycling nearly took down the buch more then once. Just before the first food stop we teamed up with another group one of the tralee lads Cian Horgan Pat Dunworth and a girl riding for the usher team was good looking made the trip all that better LOL. On the climb out of waterville it got blown apart went up steady but blew the buch to bits there was only 4 of us at the top with a good 3 mins back to next person in the bunch. Sneem was great well need was running low on every thing so great to refuel. Great run in to Kenmare really fast thanks to Brian from Douglas cycles quick stop in kenmare a coffee and what ever food i could get into me for the last climb. Mols Gap great climb again same 4 blew the bunch apart one of the fermoy team really riding strong until his chain feel off. one of the axa lads really riding strong led with me trailling behind. great decent went down it as quick as i could very technical decent lots of sharp turns near the end. Only one bit of bad luck one of the fermoy team broke his chain near the end from there the rest of us were racing for the gleneagle Hotel for the final gallop. I tried an attack but did not have it in the legs was running on empty at that stage was one off the kanturk lads that one.

As the day alltogether was great well orginised good stops no real trouble all day would do it again.

But the people i was with made it a good day we were in about 2:45pm which we felt was a good time taking stops into account.

There was one guy i remember on a hybrid and with a bottle in hand attacked and anything that went up on the road strong as an ox but really was not used to cycling nearly took down the bunch more then once.
    Was this the guy with an open-backed sweatshirt on and leaning on his handlebars?
    If so, he was fairly flying when I was behind him. I wanted to suggest that he buy aero bars for a more comfortable (and probably more stable) aerodynamic position.

daymobrew wrote:
    Was this the guy with an open-backed sweatshirt on and leaning on his handlebars?
    If so, he was fairly flying when I was behind him. I wanted to suggest that he buy aero bars for a more comfortable (and probably more stable) aerodynamic position.

Yeah thats the guy he is not right in the head. But give that man a road bike and some shoes

You came in at 2.45?!! Right, that's definitely me signed up again for next year...I came in at 4pm, and was right proud of my time, but now I have something to aim for!
    What would be a decent average speed on a cycle like that to qualify calling yourself a 'cyclist'(as opposed to a novice like me who just 'likes to cycle')?

I'm planning on doing the Sean Kelly cycle in August(I live near by so I can't not to it!) But, it'll mean staying sober at the Rolling Stones the day before and driving home as quick as possible to get a decent night's sleep:rolleyes:

noieralc wrote:
    You came in at 2.45?!! Right, that's definitely me signed up again for next year...I came in at 4pm, and was right proud of my time, but now I have something to aim for!
    What would be a decent average speed on a cycle like that to qualify calling yourself a 'cyclist'(as opposed to a novice like me who just 'likes to cycle')?

I'm planning on doing the Sean Kelly cycle in August(I live near by so I can't not to it!) But, it'll mean staying sober at the Rolling Stones the day before and driving home as quick as possible to get a decent night's sleep:rolleyes:

When i checked my computer after my average speed was 29.3Kph which was not bad i felt we wanted to get a good group going and we did with every one doing a decent turn at the front.

Im think of doing the Sean Kelly Tour as well but there is the tour of Munster the same weekend so its going to be a tough choice. In the Sean Kelly Tour which Route you going for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

This might have been me, if so I didn't complete.:mad: Go to Kenmare, with a knot in my shoulders so bad I went for a message. When I was getting the message, and the girl was working on the knot in my shouldder I almost lept off the table with the pain when she tried to work on the knot, worse than the dentist hitting a nerve. This is my third time doing the Ring and have completed the others. I think the energy I had this time came from Pasta loading the night before. Hadn't done that ever before. Might have been a bit bored, should really try some of the other runs around the country,even though the weather was the best ever, probably the best day in 4 or 5 weeeks down here in Kerry.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Advertisement