Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ECW Title Tournament (Contains ECW Spoilers)

• 19-06-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

WWE has announced that tonight on ECW, it'll be CM Punk vs Marcus Cor Von and Chris Benoit vs Elijah Burke, with the winners facing off at Vengeance for the title

I suppose most people think Benoit will be winning the title. If that's the case, then Cor Von will probably beat Punk. They could go for a fourway match though. I'm not sure why Johnny Nitro isn't involved with this at all

ECW's looking a lot better after the draft. If you ignore Boogeyman, Viscera and the Miz, I think it's looking like a decent 30 minutes of wrestling every week. With Lashley out and Benoit and Nitro in, I'm looking forward to watching it a bit more often

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If its Benoit Vs Punk, Ill buy the PPV on Sunday. Thats pretty much a dream match since Punk was in the indies, and would be close to being a 5 star match up if given 15+ minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fozzy wrote:
    WWE has announced that tonight on ECW, it'll be CM Punk vs Marcus Cor Von and Chris Benoit vs Elijah Burke, with the winners facing off at Vengeance for the title

I suppose most people think Benoit will be winning the title. If that's the case, then Cor Von will probably beat Punk. They could go for a fourway match though.

What worries me about this is that they will go with Punk vs Burke based on the match line-ups but Benoit is the logical choice to be the champ so hopefully it will be Benoit in the final and not Burke.
    gimmick wrote:
    If its Benoit Vs Punk, Ill buy the PPV on Sunday. Thats pretty much a dream match since Punk was in the indies, and would be close to being a 5 star match up if given 15+ minutes.

Punk hasn't even had a 4 star match in WWE in my opinion so I think that's quite a claim to make.

Well you just dont like Punk, and have not seen much of his previous work. I am a fan and have seen lots of what he is capable of, therefore I think this match could very easily be a 5 star effort and certainly a MOTYC.

gimmick wrote:
    Well you just dont like Punk, and have not seen much of his previous work. I am a fan and have seen lots of what he is capable of, therefore I think this match could very easily be a 5 star effort and certainly a MOTYC.

I actually do like Punk and have seen much of his previous work. I'm just not sold on him the way others are.

If that match does take place you've made one hell of a statement right there. ;)

I dont think so. We all know what Benoit is capable of. He hasn't had a bad match in god knows how long. He is about the ebst etchnical wrestler in the game at the moment, and IMO, the best seller in the industry. Punk, has a contrasting style, but one which can work easily with Benoits. As I said, give this match 15+ minutes, and it will be great.

Of course, all we ned is for both of them to win tonight for it to happen.

Regardless, i think Benoit will win the title this Sunday. None of the rest of them are quite ready, and Benoit deserves another run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

Benoit will win the title i guess.

As for the ppv this sunday, i don't think i will buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I'd like to see Benoit vs. Punk, think it would be a match worth seeing! Dunno if I'll get this ppv yet though might see what other matches are announced.

Think I'll actually start watching ECW again...think Benoit and Nitro are great additions to the roster...they could make it watchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Benoit vs Punk has been a indy wrestling fans wet dream for a few years. I would definitely deliver but I couldn't see it being a 5 star match. It would be incredible but it wouldn't be to a Cena Michaels (Raw in London) level, not yet anyway. I'd really love to see a full feud between these two down the line, preferably after a Punk heel turn.
    As far as I'm concerned, Punk's promos are what elevates him above others and as of yet he hasn't been given much mic time. If they let him cut loose on the mic I think everyone will come to see what Punk fans have been raving about.

I've a feeling though that Burke will come out winning the title somehow. Just a hunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

i think there could be a shock on the cards and it will be Cor Von vs Benoit............ this will be because elijah burke will lose and screw cm punk out of the win and probably eventually cost benoit the title at vengeance

ECW Tournament
    We've got Punk vs Benoit an Vengeance! Punk defeated Cor Von despite Cor Von dumping him on his head during the match. Benoit came out for a staredown at the end.
    So there are going to be 9 matches on the card and assuming the cruisers, womens, maybe IC and SD tag matches are short it should leave a good 15 minutes plus for this one. It should be the match of the night but whether it lives up to expectations we'll just have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Just watched it, and they were two very good matches. Punk's especially, it's the best match he's had in a while, and mainly because he wasn't in control for most of it. That's annoyed me about his matches, it seems as though he's always on top, so there's no reason to get behind him. His selling was great, shaking his arm off in between moves. I laughed at one stage, Cor Von had been focusing on Punk's left shoulder but he went for his right one after doing some move. Punk turned his head and obviously told him it was the other side, cos Cor Von switched straight away. That looked real dodgy when Cor Von dropped Punk on his head. I've never had much faith in him, Nitro should be in his spot

If Benoit and Punk perform as well as they did on ECW, we're in for a good match. I'm praying that Punk gets to be the heel in the match though!

Punk should be heel. Benoit is always going to get cheered, so hopefully Punk uses some underhanded tactic early on to piss off the crowd a bit.
    I don't see Punk winning, I think it's too soon, but it would be a gutsy move on their part to let Punk win, they would be showing a lot of faith in a generally speaking unproven main eventer.
    As far as Punk's character, I'd like to see him become isolated from the whole roster so your not sure if he's heel or face, maybe with the better than you attitude, only for Cabana to come along and be his buddy. The Second City Saints would be huge in ECW!
    On a side note, since WWE cut ties with DSW, does that mean Ace Steel is gone from WWE or what?

^ As far as I know anyone still under contract at DSW was put over to OVW. I like crazy Ace. Not sure he will get over in WWE though. He is a bit small, and could easily go the way of Jamie Noble.

No, the DSW wrestlers were moved to their new developmental territory, Florida Championship Wrestling. I don't think they've had any shows yet. I think Ace was moved to OVW though. It's a pity Noble doesn't get on tv much, he did well last week on SD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Double C wrote:
    a gutsy move on their part to let Punk win, they would be showing a lot of faith in a generally speaking unproven main eventer.
    Didn't they do this with Bobby Lashley? He was unproven and they still made him champ. I think Punk is much more proven than Lashley.

I thought the matches were fine, nothing special. As for Sunday...
    I reckon now would be a good time to pull the trigger on a Benoit heel turn and have him cheat Punk out of the title. I don't think this will happen but I feel it would set up a good summer of matches between the two with Benoit being able to dictate proceedings as a heel and help Punk get better in the ring.

I believe however that Benoit will win clean and become the champion which I'd be content with. I think Benoit can carry Punk to a good match though I doubt it will be anywhere near a 5 star match. Should be very competitive though.
    Minto wrote:
    Didn't they do this with Bobby Lashley? He was unproven and they still made him champ. I think Punk is much more proven than Lashley.

What makes you think that?

Punk has more ability, charisma and experience than Lashley had when WWE put the title on him. Thats why I think he is more proven than Lashley.
    Also, Punk has had some great matches in the indies. Was Lashley ever even in the indies or was he just a big guy who WWE thought they could make money out of? Don't get me wrong, I think Lashley has ability and could be great (if he overcomes his mic skill or lack of them) someday, but I think Punk is much more proven and deserving of the ECW title than Lashley was when he won it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Minto wrote:
    I think Punk is much more proven and deserving of the ECW title than Lashley was when he won it.

you have a valid point, but who wasnt more deserving of the ECW title than Lashley when he won it.

Benoit will get the belt IMO simply cos it will stop people bitching about undeserving ECW champions (Big Show, Lashley etc). Despite his talent and fan-base Punk would get this reaction too as its pretty fast for a main-event push, although there obviously have been faster pushes but the crowd turned on most of them for that exact reason.

Minto wrote:
    Punk has more ability, charisma and experience than Lashley had when WWE put the title on him. Thats why I think he is more proven than Lashley.
    Also, Punk has had some great matches in the indies. Was Lashley ever even in the indies or was he just a big guy who WWE thought they could make money out of? Don't get me wrong, I think Lashley has ability and could be great (if he overcomes his mic skill or lack of them) someday, but I think Punk is much more proven and deserving of the ECW title than Lashley was when he won it.

That's fair enough, although if you don't take into account Punk's indie career then I would say Lashley has proven himself more than Punk.

I actually would be very shocked if Punk won on Sunday. I think he has a long way to go before being a world champion. Then again, I feel that way about Ken Kennedy and apparently he was going to be made champion before his injury so who knows what could happen.

I personally would be very surprised if Punk wins, although I have a sneaky feeling he may get the title before the end of the summer, after a good long feud with Benoit. It seems all Benoit does lately is to help build up guys like Kennedy, MVP and now I think Punk will benefit from a long feud with him. Although, they could do it with out giving Punk the belt. Bare with me for a sec, I'm only forming these thoughts as I type. They could turn Punk heel on ECW next week after Benoit wins the title, they could have a great feud over the summer and then have Punk come up short in all the matches for the title or a Best of 7 series and have Benoit just get the best of him in the end. Then have Punk say he respects Benoit and turn face and feud with Nitro. The only weakness in that plan that I can see is who would Nitro face during the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Benoit will get the belt IMO simply cos it will stop people bitching about undeserving ECW champions (Big Show, Lashley etc).
    Ah, Big Show.

Pound for pound, the most under-rated superstar ever to step into a WWE ring.

Minto wrote:
    They could turn Punk heel on ECW next week after Benoit wins the title

Just before I read that, I had a vision of WWE re-doing what happened in ROH, with Punk turning heel as soon as he got the belt. That was one of the best moments I've ever seen in wrestling, coupled with one of the best promos I've ever heard. Probably wouldn't work in WWE yet though, most of their fans don't watch ECW and most wouldn't be attached enough to Punk to hate him for turning on them yet. He needs more mic time!

I see Benoit winning, but Punk staying face. Benoit feuds with the three heels, drops to one of them later in the year, and then Punk wins the belt sometime after that

Advertisement