Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I tax English registered car in the North?

Options
  • 19-06-2007 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to tax an English registered car in Northern Ireland or would you actually have to go to England to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

I would presume you can tax it there, although the DVLA in NI is separate to the DVLA for the rest of the UK, so you will probably have to inform them of a change of address even if it's only temporary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you have an MOT and UK Insurance, you can tax your car online. You will need the reminder document though as it has a refeence number you need to quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Thanks for that...

Heard recently of someone who went up to Newry to tax his English reg car and he couldn't because his car wasn't on the database... (or something like that!!)

Would have thought you could have done it though... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Like I said, I think this is because the DVLA in Swansea and the one in NI have separate databases. He'll have to inform them of his change of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

Yup - same goes for MOT... You can't get a car MOT's in the North if it's registered to an address in the UK, you have to update the DVLA with an address in the north first...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DOes th eUK not have an online system like here for taxing your car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Stekelly wrote:
    DOes th eUK not have an online system like here for taxing your car?
    They do! See post #3.

Advertisement