Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leased line equipment question

Options
  • 19-06-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me here. We're upgrading our leased line from 1 to 2Mb, and it seems like an opportune time to finally deal with our fail over issues (a second leased-line modem).

This really hasn't been my area in the past, but it is now. I've requested a price for a basic functionality leased line modem from one of the Big ISPs and they've offered me a Cisco 1841 with IP card for around a grand. This is a router with all sorts of bells and whistles. Strikes me as overkill though, when all I need is something to connect my existing network to the line.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

S.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

are you getting 2 tails off the one port as backup or are you getting a second separate leased line ??

is it inbound or outbound failover....eg so your server inside can be found or your office needs to get out

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sothatswhy

1 leased line w/ isdn backup. Connectivity uptime is required both in and out, however failover doesn't have to be automatic. It'd be nice if it was.

Essentially, I have an existing solution; leased line modem plus bargain basement cisco behind it with isdn for line redundancy. I want to be able to replace that if it fails - the most basic of best practice. Previous modem failed and apparently was not replaced.

Is is the case that the modem functionality is generally now built into the router stage i.e. they are quoting me a price for something that'll replace the current 2 node solution with a single one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

as long as the same block of ips works whether you are on lease or dialup then its redundant , need s checking

normally with isdn you get a different ip which fecks things up

Get a a cisco router with two serial interfaces.

Eircom provide those NTU boxes usually with leased lines so just bang each of them into a serial interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

If you're in a town which has a MAN its worth considering fibre as an altrernative.

Most providers can provide an ADSL backup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sothatswhy

Thanks for the pointers.

Wrt to the advice on serial interfaces and fibre, we're limited in what we can do by the facilities of the building we're in. Our NTU will be in the common comms room, patched to our floor over cat5, so we need a card with an RJ45 port - simple as that. Fibre isn't really an option, because we have to stay within the existing infrastructure.

You're right on the different IP Sponge Bob. Worth knowing.

Thanks,

S.

Advertisement