Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centre Midfield?

Options
  • 19-06-2007 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Much as i welcome the arrival of 2 promising young defenders in Bale and Kaboul...(although the jury is still out on Chimbonda in my view), i really think the acquisition of a top class ball winner in the middle of the park to play alongside JJenas is a must.

Zakora showed occasional glimpses of quality last season but overall he was a poor replacement for Michael Carrick. The effect of losing him to Man U last season i think drastically stunted the team's growth, with him in the side we couldve realistically gotten 4th place....until he is properly replaced i fear we'l never be strong enough against top sides and away from home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

While I share your worries, I dont think it is the fair to say our lack of drive at certain stages throughout the season boils down to MC's absence. Apart from Steffan Freund, a tough tackling ball winner is what we have lacked most throughout the last ten years and Carrick is no exception.

Like fellow countryman Drogba in his first season Zakora has shown some glimpses of greatness and I fully expect him to come of age this season having endured a long and tough first...

If players like JJ and JD stopped taking their eye of the ball and conceeeding possession we would have been a far more productive side last term. JJ spurned endless amount of opportunities last season!

Cover at the back, replace JD, competition for JJ's place, A NATURAL LEFT WINGER and we should be cappable of knocking the gooners down a peg provided BMJ makes the right decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

While I share your worries, I dont think it is the fair to say our lack of drive at certain stages throughout the season boils down to MC's absence. Apart from Steffan Freund, a tough tackling ball winner is what we have lacked most throughout the last ten years and Carrick is no exception.

Like fellow countryman Drogba in his first season Zakora has shown some glimpses of greatness and I fully expect him to come of age this season having endured a long and tough first...

If players like JJ and JD stopped taking their eye of the ball and conceeeding possession we would have been a far more productive side last term. JJ spurned endless amount of opportunities last season!

Cover at the back, replace JD, competition for JJ's place, A NATURAL LEFT WINGER and we should be cappable of knocking the gooners down a peg provided BMJ makes the right decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Carrick knitted our team together much better than any of the other options we had last season (ironically, Mendes who lost out to Carrick IMO would have been perfect for us last season)

In fairness to Zokora, I don't think he was bought as a straight replacement for MC, more as a foil to him.

Jenas is the best goal threat we have from midfield, but is too inconsistent to make up a central pairing. Jenas would do well in a Chelsea-style 3 man midfield. For me, its a partner for an improving Zokora that I'd like to see, with us retaining our shape as 4-4-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

Yeah agree with the point about Mendes, I also thought Davis was decent cover. I havent written off Murphy, he did hit some great form for a time at Charlton, although again he's not a ball winner.

I thought we missed out on an opportunity with Joey Barton going for decent money. We really were a soft touch at times last season in front of and at the back, lost and drew alot of games we shouldn't have and often Spurs teams have rightly been accussed of not having enough of a winning mentality. I agree to an extent that a partner alongside an improved Zakora might work well but i can't see Jol ever droppping a match fit Jenas.

But is Martin Jol even looking to strengthen midfield or is he happy with what we have? I often wonder if Jol really has the single mindedness and leadership qualities that the top 4 managers have, does he instill a winning belief on the side in a similar way to Ferguson, Benitez, Mourinho and the other fella? He needs to. Sure it looks like Mourinho has more confidence in Tottenham than we have in ourselves. 5th place really isn't good enough this season. Bebatov will be on his bike for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

Yeah agree with the point about Mendes, I also thought Davis was decent cover. I havent written off Murphy, he did hit some great form for a time at Charlton, although again he's not a ball winner.

I thought we missed out on an opportunity with Joey Barton going for decent money. We really were a soft touch at times last season in front of and at the back, lost and drew alot of games we shouldn't have and often Spurs teams have rightly been accussed of not having enough of a winning mentality. I agree to an extent that a partner alongside an improved Zakora might work well but i can't see Jol ever droppping a match fit Jenas.

But is Martin Jol even looking to strengthen midfield or is he happy with what we have? I often wonder if Jol really has the single mindedness and leadership qualities that the top 4 managers have, does he instill a winning belief on the side in a similar way to Ferguson, Benitez, Mourinho and the other fella? He needs to. Sure it looks like Mourinho has more confidence in Tottenham than we have in ourselves. 5th place really isn't good enough this season. Bebatov will be on his bike for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

It does'nt appear as if he is intending to strengthen in the middle, although I completely agree that we need a ball winner !! There aint many about at the moment that would fit the bill. I know we have heard this saying many times, but would'nt it be nice to unearth the ' New Roy Keane'. Surely there must be another one tucked away down south :)

Advertisement