Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STUDENT POKER TOURNAMENT - 10K for Top 3

• 19-06-2007 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Susquehanna International Group is running a student poker tournament on 27 July, 2007 in The Fitzwilliam Card Club. (PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE CHANGED THE VENUE OF THIS EVENT FROM OUR ORIGINAL ADVERTISEMENT).

Full details are as follows:

Date: 27 July, 2007.

Time: 7:30PM

Venue: The FITZWILLIAM CARD CLUB

Pre-requisite: Applicants need to be current third level students/graduates of mathematics, actuarial studies, engineering, computer science, physics, finance or another quantitative discipline.

Type: Texas Holdem No Limit - Freezout

Entry Cost: Free!

Prize Pool: Guaranteed prize pool for top three players of 10K

Time Frame/Blind Levels/Starting Chips - TBC. It is likely that we will have approximately 15 - 20 players so chips and blinds will be decided on accordingly.

Dealers: Professional Dealers

Rules: Tournament Standard

Tournament Director/Disputes: Dealers will resolve most disputes. For anything more serious the floor person will be called to make a ruling.

For full details please visit (http://www.wire.ie/sigpoker/) or email dublinpoker@sig.com.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

15-20 players for 10k? Ok, I'm going.
    How do I sign up?
    EDIT: Ah, I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

top 3 for 10K - is it cash prizes???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

I have no interest in this as I don't qualify but as having worked for a recruitment company for many years I would think it's only fair to give more details. Prizes? "other motivation?"... in other words "come out with it"..... "spit it out" .... tell em what it's all about up front!!

Mac

edited: just to say if I'm wrong about this I apologise in advance to the organisers and wish everyone the best of luck..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Do you need to preregister for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

did you not click on the link above???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

the link says its on in the Sporting Emporium

Ah yes so it does, well if its on in the SE I cant play it as I am not of age....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Hello Nocko,

I see you have posted some details of this tournament, but there also seems to be quite a few questions raised in this thread for you to answer.

Hopefully you can answer the questions posed, in particular how the Prize fund is to be paid out Specifically is it to be paid out in 10k cash with no strings attached, such as needing to sign an employment contract, sign-up bonus etc. etc.

Also you will need to comply fully with the charter for posting about Poker tournaments, you seem to have either not seen it or have chosen to ignore questions 1 & 2 of the requirements:

The charter can be found here in case you haven't seen it:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=227377

I'll leave it here until the morning to allow you answer these questions but after that I will delete the thread.

Thank you,

Ste05

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

nocko wrote:
    Susquehanna International Group is running a student poker tournament on 27 July, 2007 in The Fitzwilliam Card Club. (PLEASE NOTE THAT WE HAVE CHANGED THE VENUE OF THIS EVENT FROM OUR ORIGINAL ADVERTISEMENT).

Venue: The FITZWILLIAM CARD CLUB

Take it its in the Fitz now.

You gotta email them nd they get back to you before you play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

hhmm i see

still 10k for free and only 15-20 players, surely joining a cult or something similar is required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

So nobody has spotted it yet....
    Deja-vú

spotted immediately..... as I said in both threads this is all too familiar to me and gives me a bad case of deja vu... I've maild mods to have a look..... really hope you all go and make a fortune but have my doubts....

Mac

I'm pretty certain that's the reason for this thread. Hopefully now nocko will answer some of the questions asked.

excellent......... interested in reply......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

So nobody has spotted it yet....
    Deja-vú

It's hardly suspicious is it? The OP is just making it official (it seems).

I'd be so there but for the fact I'm only going into col this year.

I received a PM from a boards user who works for S.I.G. who informed me of a couple of things.

1. Susquehanna Ireland are organising the Event
    2. Commercial organisation, but not for profit.
    (not stated in PM, but I would assume the main purpose is for Recruitment)

Other prerequisites that should be added are that, as outlined in the Link, applicants will need to pass an initial phone screening and obviously you have to join the Fitz.

The location was changed from the SE to the Fitz because of the 21 age restriction which was not known by the organisers when booking the SE originally.

He was not able to confirm for certain whether the Payouts were paid in cash, but he was 99% sure it is a cash payout with no strings attached. "The company's American arm recently ran a similar tournament which was all cash payout, no strings attached."

The OP is to confirm this tomorrow. I'm satisfied that this thread is OK and alot of questions have been answered, this is obviously a form of Recruitment so any players will obviously have to pass the "initial phone screening" to get entry into this pretty attractive FreeRoll, and I'm sure will have to sit through some kind of "chat/presentation" at the break or before hand, but for a 20 man 10k freeroll, I'm sure people can put up with that. All we need now is for the Cash Payout to be confirmed and I would hope most people's concerns have been settled.

Obviously if anyone else has any questions get them in soon, as the OP should be coming on to confirm the Cash Payout tomorrow, if not I'll edit the OP to remove all links or just delete the thread.

Regards,

Ste05

sounds good.... how did i recognise that there was recruitment involved...... if the payout is a no strings attached cash payout freeroll then gl to all....

Mac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wonder what the phone screening will be like. Hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nocko

Hi all

In answer to the questions posed on the poker tournament (Some of this has already been answered).

1. Susquehanna Ireland Limited are organising the Event
    2. We are a Commercial organisation but the event is not for profit
    3. Purpose of the event - The main purpose of the event is to create an awarenss of SIG as an employer in Ireland. We would also like to follow up on our phone screens with people and give them a full interview for the Trading positions we offer (If people are interested). HOWEVER, ONCE YOU GET BY THE PHONE SCREEN YOU CAN ATTEND THE TOURNAMENT WITH NO STRINGS ATTACHED. We will not be interviewing people at the tournament although we will obviously attend!

4. Venue - Just to confirm the venue has been changed to the Fitzwilliam

5.The prizes - We have put up 10K in prize money WHICH WILL BE PAID OUT IN CASH AMONGST THE TOP THREE FINISHERS. THERE WILL BE NO STIPULATION TO SIGN AN EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT WITH SIG TO RECEIVE THIS MONEY.

6. One final point to be aware of. Our phone screens last only 30 minutes but we will exam peoples' probability and gambling skills so we do not expect a huge number to make it through this screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

I will be trying for this anyway, always had a bit of an interest in trading as well so could be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

will be trying for this as well, gotta dust out me CV then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

i think you should have a read of this before you even think about playing.

Definitely not for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭gerry87

Anyone else had the phone screen yet?

you have it? What was it like?

Just a standard interview with a few probability q's. They weren't really hard, I still managed to mess them up though :D. It was like when you walk out of an exam, re-read the question and go "ahhhhhhh.... damnit".

Are the probability questions all regarding poker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

Mr.Plough wrote:
    i think you should have a read of this before you even think about playing.

Definitely not for me

dammit!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mad_max_power

I did the phone interview about a year ago.
    The questions are general probability questions, for example

If the probability of hitting a submarine with a particular missile is 1/2 ,
    what is the probability of hitting the submarine if you launch two missile's.

This was the first question i was asked and the easiest and if you do not know how to answer this then forget about it, there all up hill from then on.

They basically wanted to hear how you went about solving the problem as well as if you where able to solve the problem.

They maintain that the mental thinking behind poker is very closely related to the mental thinking behind traders i.e. poker players make good traders.

They even sponser one or two or there employees to play in the WSOP each year.

Am I right in saying its 75%?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I would've said 50%...
    A missile has 1/2.
    2 missiles has 2/4? Still has the same probability of hitting than it does missing??

Nope, you miss 50% of missile 1 and 50% missile two, .5X.5 is .25, so 25% chance of them both missing, so 75% success rate....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

shoutman wrote:
    Nope, you miss 50% of missile 1 and 50% missile two, .5X.5 is .25, so 25% chance of them both missing, so 75% success rate....

I'm not sayin your wrong but wouldn't that work the same way for a miss?

you hit 50% of missile 1 and hit missile two, .5X.5 is .25, so 25% chance of them both hitting, so 75% miss rate??

Take coins as another example... If you flip 2 coins, whats the probability of one of them being heads? 50%? TT HT HH TH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

stevire wrote:
    I'm not sayin your wrong but wouldn't that work the same way for a miss?

you hit 50% of missile 1 and hit missile two, .5X.5 is .25, so 25% chance of them both hitting, so 75% miss rate??

Take coins as another example... If you flip 2 coins, whats the probability of one of them being heads? 50%? TT HT HH TH

That's the probability of them both hitting.
    The probability of hitting with at least one = 1 minus the probability of not hitting at all ala Shoutman's calculation.

Your coins example is different again as 50% is the probability of exactly 1 head.

Edit: What a boring 100th post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

you are both right,

it is all dependant on the wording of it, if it says it is the probability of hitting once then the combinations are hit,hit miss,miss, hit,miss miss,hit thus 2/4 or 1/2 however if it says hitting the target at least once which can indicate hitting it twice using the same combinations hit,hit hit,miss miss,hit, miss,miss then its 3/4 or 75%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

I applied for an internship with SIG for this summer, passed the phone interview and got to a face to face interview but didn't make it. I'll definitely be applying for this position again next year and will more likely than not be applying for their assistant trader position. They are one of the best trading firms in the world, at least according to people I've spoken to on 2+2's finance forum.

SIG offered to sponsor UCC's poker society but we already had sponsorship with Irish Eyes and their contract stated we couldn't have more than 1 sponsor. Just thought I'd mention this because I'm confident this tournament is completely above board.

I'm down in Cork but may make a trip up for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

OP, OP! Look at me

I CAN DO DE SUMS DE BEST

:p

Guy's ye're all wrong, its 50-50, either you hit the ship or you don't.

In the phone interview I had last year they used 1/3 probability that a missile hits. Still 50-50 for reasons stated above though.

RedJoker wrote:
    Guy's ye're all wrong, its 50-50, either you hit the ship or you don't.
    In the phone interview I had last year they used 1/3 probability that a missile hits. Still 50-50 for reasons stated above though.
    What you are saying is the same as saying that in the lotto you have 2 possibilities Win/Lose but these are most definitely not 50/50, as there is a probability weighting attached to these.

The answer to this totally depends on the exact wording of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭smoothcall

ye redjoker your wrong,.. By your theory it doesnt matter how many missiles you fire which is of course wrong. Your saying its the same prob if you fire 1000 missiles as firing one. its .75 (1- .5*.5)

If the probability of hitting a submarine with a particular missile is 1/2 ,
    what is the probability of hitting the submarine if you launch two missile's.

In my opinion this question asks what is the probability of at least one missile hitting if two are launched, therefor its simply 1 - (the probability that neither of the missiles hit the submarine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

1/2 x 1/2 = chance of both missing right?

1-1/4= 75% chance of hitting.

?

I was so annoyed i got the submarine one wrong, i said every time you fire a torpedo you have a 1/3 chance of hitting, so when you fire your second/third missile, you still only have a 1/3 chance of hitting. Then after it finished i realised what it was asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

?
    i dont think that is correct, although it seems it. If you say you have 1/3 chance of hitting, then 1/3*1/3*1/3=1/9 but that doesnt mean you will hit at least once 8/9 times.

If the odds of hitting were 1/3 and you have 2 goes to hit then I think it is:
    Odds of missing are 2/3*2/3 = 4/9
    1- odds of missing = odds of success = 5/9 ~55%

Likewise if you 3 attempts:
    Odds of missing are 2/3*2/3*2/3 = 8/27
    1- odds of missing = odds of success = 19/27 ~ 70%

I think this is correct but very easily could be wrong!

LOL ye guys are not very good at picking up obv sarcasm. You ever hear poker players saying the same thing about their chances of winning a hand? I couldn't have passed the phone interview answering like that :) .

For 1/3 it's [1 - (2/3 x 2/3)] = 5/9. In the live interview they asked a follow up question to this: what's the probability that both missiles hit given that you hit the ship, answer is in white below:

It's 1/5

?

Yes; this is correct. These calculations should be very easy for poker players as it's the same way you calculate your odds of hitting a draw by the river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

what phantom lord said above is correct.

look in your 6th year maths book

If you don't instantly think 75% then I wouldn't apply(all the more money for me! ;)), that is the basic of the basic.

RedJoker wrote:
    LOL ye guys are not very good at picking up obv sarcasm. You ever hear poker players saying the same thing about their chances of winning a hand? I couldn't have passed the phone interview answering like that :) .

For 1/3 it's [1 - (2/3 x 2/3)] = 5/9. In the live interview they asked a follow up question to this: what's the probability that both missiles hit given that you hit the ship, answer is in white below:

It's 1/5
    For that one in white, what is the exact question and probabilities?
    The wording is bad, it could be two answers.

For that one in white, what is the exact question and probabilities?
    The wording is bad, it could be two answers.

The wording was even worse in the interview and I kept answering a different question until they repeated it.

Basically, you fire two missiles each with 1/3 probability of hitting. You hear an explosion, what is the probability that both missiles hit the ship.

Answer in white again:
    From this you know that at least one hit the ship, what's the probability that it was both of them?

Probabilty of at least one hitting is [1 - (2/3 x 2/3)] = 5/9.
    Probability of both hitting is 1/3 x 1/3 = 1/9
    Probability of both hitting given you know at least one hit is (1/9) / (5/9) = 1/5

• Advertisement
Advertisement