Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thorntons or L'ecrivain

• 19-06-2007 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭

I have posted here recently about looking for a restaurant for a wedding anniversay.I was going for Chapter one but its closed the 1st two weeks in august so im stuck between Thorntons and L'ecrivain.which is the better option

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

L'ecrivain by a mile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

agreed- l'ecrivain- no competition

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

I've eaten at L'Ecrivain 3 times in the last year, and was disappointed with the service and a few other small things on each occasion. The food there was great, but unfortunately I left a little frustrated each time. In my opinion, it used to be much better a few years ago.

I've never had a bad experience in Thornton's - the food, service and ambience are just fantastic. It's got a more formal edge to it than L'Ecrivain (which I'd always describe as "cozy"), but I'd definitely choose Thornton's over L'Ecrivain any day.

I guess it's subjective, though - it depends on the kind of dining you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Have eaten in Thornton's quite a few times and the food is lovely.

However, you WILL leave the restaurant still hungry - the portions are ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

However, you WILL leave the restaurant still hungry - the portions are ridiculous!

Jebus - how much food does a body need?!? ;)

I don't know about most people, but after an amuse bouche, first course, main course, sorbet, pudding, petits fours, washed down with an aperitif, wines, water, coffee and a nice little something to finish - I'm absolutely satisfied. :D

The portions are definitely much smaller than the average pub carvery lunch, but my goodness the food is sooooooo rich and flavourful. I couldn't imagine eating any more of any of their dishes than what is presented to me. IM(very H)O, the portions are perfectly well judged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

L'ecrivain definitely

Advertisement