Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Selling Method?

Options
  • 19-06-2007 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have a 2002 peugeout 307 i've been trying for about 3 months now to get sold to pay for travelling costs. I've had it up on carzone for 3 months, it had a stint in autotrader, i've passed word round to friends etc... Whats my best bet now to try get it sold?
    is it worth trying to get a trade in even though i still have about 6G finance left on it?

If anyone has any ideas?

Cheers ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Have you had any interest, phone calls, viewings, anything? Also, is your finance secured on the car? If so, it may put private buyers off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Shelly23

yes i had one or two calls of interest- no more than that. and then someone offered to trade a natty civic for it.
    the finance went through my old job so whatever i choose to do with it they'll sign off on- whether its to pay it off or to transfer to another car.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Personally I wouldn't enter into negotiations with a private seller regarding paying off outstanding HP on a car. Generally because its a mess and ripe for exploitation. You only have their word to go on that they'll use the money you give them to clear the finance. Whats to stop the seller buggering off with the cash and the finance company subsequently reposessing the car from the buyer.

On a secondary note is it not a term of the HP that the car isn't yours to sell?

I'd take out a personal loan, pay off the finance and then sell the car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Reduce the price. It'll sell.

i bought the car last year for 13g and have it for sale now for 9500 which is below what garages and most other cars on carzone with the same mileage are at but its a no go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Consumers are a lot more savvy than they used to be and are aware of stuff like JD Power surveys(in which it fared very badly and website's like this
    "In the 2006 JD Power Customer Satisfaction Survey (UK) the 307 was listed as the 20th out of 20 cars in the "small family cars" section, and 104th out of 105 overall, reflecting the quality issues that have plagued this model."

But as Henry Ford said, reduce the price and it will sell

Also make sure the pictures of your car make it look appealing, i.e. its taken on a sunny day with a nice back drop and it is spotlessly clean

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭calsatron

Remember that buying from a garage gives a buyer an element of comeback and security, be that justified or not, and that can be important to a lot of people. You'll have to pitch your private sale a good bit below the forecourt price to get any bites.

fletch wrote:
    Consumers are a lot more savvy than they used to be and are aware of stuff like JD Power surveys(in which it fared very badly and website's like this
    "In the 2006 JD Power Customer Satisfaction Survey (UK) the 307 was listed as the 20th out of 20 cars in the "small family cars" section, and 104th out of 105 overall, reflecting the quality issues that have plagued this model."

hehe ya dont need a survey to tell ya that. but then again i havent had a single problem with it since i got it. blew a bulb or two and that was it so no complaints. i just want rid though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Carzone lists loads of 2002 307's (admittedly 1.4's), including low mileage examples for €8500.

You might buy one of these for €8000. Think again on your price?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Knowing what 05 307's are selling for in auctions, I'd say you need to reduce your price by a good margin to get ay interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try putting it up on www.adverts.ie

As others have suggested though you will need to adjust the price if you want to shift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

sorry to hijack a bit... I've got a motorbike (yes I know, wrong forum) that's been off the road for about 18 months. I've been offered a decent amount of cash for it's sale and I'm wondering if it's acceptable to sell the bike without taxing it? I have all the docs right regarding it being off the road. Tax renewal cert signed by a Garda to certify it's off the road and all that.

Don't really want to go to the hassle of insuring myself for a week just to tax it, especially when I probably wont get much of a refund from the insurance company after I cancel the policy. Is it unreasonable to expect a dealer to buy an untaxed vehicle off me?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,347 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Shelly23 wrote:
    i bought the car last year for 13g and have it for sale now for 9500 which is below what garages and most other cars on carzone with the same mileage are at but its a no go.

I'd want a mint '04 for €9.5k. It is way too much for an '02. Apart from that, is there any way to get an overdraft / borrow the money from your parents or something to clear the finance? It will be much easier to sell. Or to put it differently - Plenty of 307s in the sea and if I were looking for one, I wouldn't even bother proceeding with one with outstanding finance on it
    rymus wrote:
    sorry to hijack a bit...

A bit? :eek:

But you're fine, rymus. The new owner will only be responsible for tax from the month he owns it, so any back tax is no problem. Even without the form that the car has been declared off the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

rymus wrote:
    Is it unreasonable to expect a dealer to buy an untaxed vehicle off me?!?

A dealer wouldn't mind selling you a vehicle without tax so I wouldn't worry. The new owner only has to worry about the tax from when they buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

superb. Cheers for that.. Now back to the original topic for fear of a beating :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I have to reiterate what the rest have said, get the finance cleared to remove that as a barrier to a sale and drop the price. €9,500 is way too much for a 5 year old 307 in a private sale. There's no way anyone could convince me that the 307 can retain 50% of it's value after 5 years, 50% after 3 years would seem closer to the mark.
    I think you may have got shafted with the price last year, no matter how determined you are to recoup some of that loss, all that will happen is that you'll end up hanging onto the car for even longer and getting even less for it a few months down the line.
    The biggest barrier to selling a car privately is getting anyone at all to view it. If it's how you've described it, and people come to see it, it will sell. Don't refuse a decent cash offer, try to get them up a bit but don't let them walk away with the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Chef1976

Try www.CarsIreland.ie. I have sold a couple of cars on it in the past. They also send you out a for sale sticker for the back window which lets people view the spec online by typing in the reg. One thing to watch out for though is that people can use the site for outstanding finance checks too so probably best to disclose the finance situation in the ad.

Shelly23 wrote:
    I have a 2002 peugeout 307 i've been trying for about 3 months now to get sold to pay for travelling costs. I've had it up on carzone for 3 months, it had a stint in autotrader, i've passed word round to friends etc... Whats my best bet now to try get it sold?
    is it worth trying to get a trade in even though i still have about 6G finance left on it?

If anyone has any ideas?

Cheers ;)

Advertisement