Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding PC to router

Options
  • 19-06-2007 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

I have the laptop set up at home for wireless through a dlink router di-524. I have no problems with that, but I want to connect the desktop to the router with a lan cable as the desktop does not have wireless. I have read manual and can't seem to find what I am looking for. I tried running the setup disk and tried to find something on the configuration web page but I didn't want to mess too much incase I feic'ed up the wireless connection. Has anybody set this up and give me some pointers, obviously I'm novice at this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Assuming the PC has an Ethernet connection (it will be the same shape as the ports on the back of the router), just connect an Ethernet cable between the two. It'll work, no extra setup required.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

What Aidan said :D Did you actually just plug in a cable to try :D

As long as your PC is set to obtain and IP address automatically and the router should be set as a DHCP server by default then it will simply work!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

Ye I tried just plugging in but when I open up explorer I keep getting page not found errors. This was why I thought there was some setup I had to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you go to Start > Run > enter cmd.exe and press OK and enter ipconfig /all in the black window that appears and press Enter, what do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

Tried a different port this time and it seems to be working, was trying port 1 and 2 but in port 4 now. Also just updated AVG and running a virus scan and it has already picked up a few things, could have been virus. Thanks for the quick response guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement