Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry aftermath

Options
  • 19-06-2007 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

:( ive already left chemistry hardest test ive done so far!!! harder than physics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭microbiek

ah no twas grand haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Pffft....not possible. :P

ah no it was actually grand fair enuf test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Found it quite easy enough the paper its-self. My problem was lack of study, In saying that it was relatively easy.

Hj

I was reacting to your first post. So I should have done it instead of physics then? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

Chemistry was great! did a bit of study last friday and some yesterday and this morning other than that nothing really since the mocks. i got lucky, titrations are always easy, and had ethanoic acid and heat of neutralisation prepared.

didnt much like Q4 though

carlowboy wrote:
    I was reacting to your first post. So I should have done it instead of physics then? :(

well for points yeah bt i prefer physics chemistry is sooooooo borin glad im finished!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

actualy was a very fair paper, only thing i did not like was Q4, and Q10.. answered everything except 10. 4 had some easy bits and annoyance bits. but overall, good exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

delited!! had all 3 experiments well prepared...did 10 questions.... did ye get .125mol/l in ques 1, and 31g/l?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

alancork wrote:
    delited!! had all 3 experiments well prepared...did 10 questions.... did ye get .125mol/l in ques 1, and 31g/l?
    Yup they're both right

I thought it was very easy. Should be a very solid A1, did 10 questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Super paper I thought. Really easy. Experiments were exactly as predicted.
    56280 kJ mol for the heat of reaction? Just remembered I forgot to put in the minus sign. Grrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Cipriana

Did anyone find the picture of the dead Russian dude a bit off putting? I thought it was really weird. Though the question itself was grand.

nedward wrote:
    Super paper I thought. Really easy. Experiments were exactly as predicted.
    56280 kJ mol for the heat of reaction? Just remembered I forgot to put in the minus sign. Grrr!
    Should just be -56.280 kJ

There's no need for a per-mole because it's heat of a specific reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Should just be -56.280 kJ

There's no need for a per-mole because it's heat of a specific reaction.

Dammit. Ah well, extra question anyway. Roll on August 15!

That Russian guy...yes...the way he looked at the camera as if pleading with you to do his question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

i thought it was fine. a few little guesses but i'm hoping for an A

Anyone notice they acked bout alcohol in a can of beer
    trying hard to relate to the teens of today...

and in Q5b they ask "would you expect the hydrogen.....?Explain your answer."

It's six marks so i guess 2 or 3 is for your yes or no and the rest for your explanation, but surely everyone should get the first 2 marks (if that's the marking schemes) cause it is what you expect they ask, not for the answer... so if everyone knows and writes what they expect, surely they should get those marks... even if they're wrong.

Forgot the minus sign...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

I wasn't too happy with the exam... I thought some parts of it were difficult and a lot of my weaknesses came up. I suppose I can't be expecting an excellent grade. I'd say C1 tops. I'm a bit disappointed considering all the work I put in since the mocks.

Oh well... at least its all over for me now!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭bebop!

It wasn't easy but it wasn't impossible either... dunno how ive done.

did anyone do the equilbriuim question?? The Thoery parts were nice but what did yas get for Kc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

got that x = one but forget the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

The experiments were quite easy will probably get 130/150. I thought Question 4 was sort of easy, question 5 was a little annoying but manageable, didn't touch question 6. Question 7 was sort of okay, Question 8 was Okay and 11 was okay.

Experiments 130 marks.
    Question 4 = 45 Marks
    Question 5 = 35 Marks
    Question 7 = 40 Marks
    Question 8 = 35 Marks
    Question 11 = 40 Marks
    Approximate Total = 325/400 = 82%
    Although I should have got an A1 found things in some questions too abstract and couldn't work around them although happy to get B1.

How many experiments are there in chemistry? They harder than physics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Couldn't have asked for a nicer end to the leaving it was a lovely exam.I got scared when I read some of the questions but then when I actually sat down to do them they were all easy.

I think all 7 of us in the centre,including the superintendent,laughed when we saw the picture that accompanied the polonium 210 question...

lemansky wrote:
    I think all 7 of us in the centre,including the superintendent,laughed when we saw the picture that accompanied the polonium 210 question...

Why did u all laugh at a picture of a dead man?

bebop! wrote:
    Why did u all laugh at a picture of a dead man?

Wasn't so much at him as the attempt on the part of the SEC to 'be topical' and show us how science touches us in the real world

Ah im just messin wit ya,, i did think myself that it was a strange picture to use!!

deek wrote:
    Was there a mistake in the question on heats of neutralisation?
    I was waiting for that question. No there wasn't insteadof giving you the specific heat capacity and the mass, they just gave you the product of these i.e. 4200*0.1 and you just had to multiply the figure they gaveee by the change in temperature to get the heat change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Carlow Boy, there's 28 Mandatory, 5 Electrochemistry, smaller experiments to be learned off as examples, so I would say you would need to know the 28 off heart and 12 or so as methods i.e Internediate Formation Theory experiment, 40 or so in all.

There not hard but you have to go over and over and over etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

That was such a relief after Physics.

Predictable and straight forward.

I'd say I'm looking at an A2 if not an A1(hopefully the Irish bonus will being me up).

What I wasn't sure of:
    1(c) - was it KIO3? Or did you have to say KI and KIO3?

2(f) - What was the equation?
    I wrote Na2CO3 + CH3COOH -> CH3COONa + CO2 + H2O but couldn't balance it....

3(g) - I wrote a Thermometor :p What was it?

5(b) - It said "diagrams", surely you only needed one?

I was waiting for that question. No there wasn't insteadof giving you the specific heat capacity and the mass, they just gave you the product of these i.e. 4200*0.1 and you just had to multiply the figure they gaveee by the change in temperature to get the heat change.

DOH! I worked out 0.1 myself and then multiplyed it...!!! GRRRRRRR

bebop! wrote:
    Ah im just messin wit ya,, i did think myself that it was a strange picture to use!!

Sorry my brain is too fried to pick up on anything beyond what I see on the screnn:D :D

I must admit that I was surprised to see it.You can bet that there will be people who will be calling up SEC to complain though!

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    What I wasn't sure of:
    1(c) - was it KIO3? Or did you have to say KI and KIO3?
    It's just potassium iodide, is it not.

Advertisement