Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry aftermath

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

I think it's Bomb Calorimeter for 3g. Your equation is right but you need a 2 in front on CH3COOH and in front of the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I was waiting for that question. No there wasn't insteadof giving you the specific heat capacity and the mass, they just gave you the product of these i.e. 4200*0.1 and you just had to multiply the figure they gaveee by the change in temperature to get the heat change.
    Guess who took it as the specific heat capacity of the HCl, assumed the density to be the same as water and used 0.05 kg as the mass....
    (Yes I know the mass was twice that)

3-6 marks gone there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Guess who took it as the specific heat capacity of the HCl, assumed the density to be the same as water and used 0.05 kg as the mass....

3-6 marks gone there....
    And the department were going out of their way to make it easier for you!!

I think a lot of people may have slipped up there

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

JC 2K3 wrote:
    3(g) - I wrote a Thermometor :p What was it?

5(b) - It said "diagrams", surely you only needed one?

I think its a bomb calorimeter....but i stress that I think that-i'm not sure.

As for the dot and cross bit I did a bohr diagram version with dots and crosses and a normal one with just the letters of the elements, and the electrons from the outer shells if you know what I mean.The s after diagram threw me so I did both!

It's just potassium iodide, is it not.
    Thats what I would've thought.Its what I wrote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

well if you've to learn 40 experiments, the extra marks compared to physics are justified then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I got 2CH3COOH + Na2CO3 ========= 2CH3COONa + H20 + C02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

I didn't do Q 10(b), but did we need to get molar voume on the front of the paper to answer it? (you know, that 22.4/24L figure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Would you lose marks for putting H2 or something in......it might be part of a product, I think I accidently put it in....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

jaydigity wrote:
    I didn't do Q 10(b), but did we need to get molar voume on the front of the paper to answer it? (you know, that 22.4/24L figure)

I used pv = nrt

• Advertisement

Lucas10101 wrote:
    I think it's Bomb Calorimeter for 3g. Your equation is right but you need a 2 in front on CH3COOH and in front of the product.
    Ah that's what I did. For some reason I thought it wasn't balanced and was panicking. Sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Exam was fine and fair :) Sure I could've gotten a good mark if I hadn't developed a severe distaste for chemistry and abandoned it after the mocks :D

Oh btw, best question ever:

"How does [ethanol] come to be present in the body?" :D

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Oh btw, best question ever:

"How does [ethanol] come to be present in the body?" :D

Seconded!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

My answer > "Drinking skin!" followed meekly by a "consumption of alcoholic beverages"

I wrote "<insert smart remark here>" and then somethng about ethanol being a recreational drug present in certain beverages.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

I loved it!! Thought it was so easy. would have done all the questions but i didnt do question9 cos i didnt want to draw a graph. had enough of those from physics

"Give one reason why carbon dioxide is more easily liquefied than helium."
    I thought carbon dioxide sublimes and doesnt change into a liquid!! so confused:confused:

And in question 2(f) i wrote NaCH3COOH instead of CH3COOHNa. Does that make a difference??

I thought carbon dioxide sublimes and doesnt change into a liquid!! so confused:confused:

And in question 2(f) i wrote NaCH3COOH instead of CH3COOHNa. Does that make a difference??
    Ah sure the CO2 thing was only worth 2 out of the 40 or so that you can lose and still get the old A1.
    As for the sodium ethanoate I'm not sure.Don't see why it should matter-but I'm probably overlooking something major in saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I just said that it's because Carbon dioxidehas a much higher boiling point. AFAIK helium boils at around 4K so it's not something you'd see as a liquid too often.

I said that about the boiling point and also that Helium was lighter and had more bias to be a gas.

And cookiemonster, it's CH3COONa, so both of those are wrong I'm afraid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

JC 2K3 wrote:
    And cookiemonster, it's CH3COONa, so both of those are wrong I'm afraid...

I actually meant i wrote NaCH3COO

Ah.

Well I'd say you won't lose all the marks there, maybe one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Should just be -56.280 kJ

There's no need for a per-mole because it's heat of a specific reaction.
    if there's no need of a per-mole then why did you divide by 0.05? (the amount of moles of HCL, and coincidentally of NaOH)

420*6.7/0.05=56280J/mole=5628kJ/mole

eZe^ wrote:
    [in relation to 10b]
    I used pv = nrt
    oh yeah, i just kind of asumed they were giving standard temp and pressure...uh oh.. *checks*
    hmm, i get 1.08l when i do it that way... I must be doing something wrong because that would be astonishingly unimpressive to say the least...

Definitely a few here that'd be well suitable for coroner......

cocoa wrote:
    oh yeah, i just kind of asumed they were giving standard temp and pressure...uh oh.. *checks*
    hmm, i get 1.08l when i do it that way... I must be doing something wrong because that would be astonishingly unimpressive to say the least...
    That sounds like the answer I got in the exam.

V = nRT/P

n = m/Mr
    n = 2000/44 = 45.45

V = (45.45)(8.3)(290)/(1.01*10^5)
    V = 1.083 m^3

It's not that unimpressive, cocoa, you're just using the wrong unit, should be m^3 ;)

JC 2K3 wrote:
    That sounds like the answer I got in the exam.

V = nRT/P

n = m/Mr
    n = 2000/44 = 45.45

V = (45.45)(8.3)(290)/(1.01*10^5)
    V = 1.083 m^3

It's not that unimpressive, cocoa, you're just using the wrong unit, should be m^3 ;)
    that would do it... :s *decides not to bother checking that against my other answer in litres*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Jumping-Jew

Easier than cocoa's mother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

bryanw wrote:
    I wasn't too happy with the exam... I thought some parts of it were difficult and a lot of my weaknesses came up. I suppose I can't be expecting an excellent grade. I'd say C1 tops. I'm a bit disappointed considering all the work I put in since the mocks.

Oh well... at least its all over for me now!!! :D

i'm feeling more or less the same! But thank god its all over(for me anyway:D )!!!!

• Advertisement

Easier than cocoa's mother

That kind of behaviouris unacceptable jewbag.

Advertisement