Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP mail issues with Hotmail

Options
  • 19-06-2007 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

CAn anyone explain to me how hotmails spam protection works, i have a scirpt that sends an activation email when a user registers on a site, i never recieve them on hotmail and dont even get a bounce email reply.
    The email is sent from 'noreply@site.com', i also tried 'admin@site.com'.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Hotmail (and I think Gmail aswell) filter form emails as spam. Try using SMTP to send the form emails. I think there was some others with the same issue on www.php.net/mail but I've not tried it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

PHP mail functions use SMTP to send mail (do you know of any other way? :confused: ) via your choice of MTA.

Some crappy mail filters will be suspicious of mails received without certain headers. I don't know which ones off the top of my head, but send yourself a mail from a standard mail client, then one from your form, and compare the headers. Try making sure that any headers included with the regular mail get specified in your form mail and see if that makes a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I mean to use actual login details etc to send the emails like ... bah .. I can't explain it .. I'll work on it and come back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't know if hotmail do this, but some mail filters check the IP that the mail was sent from and if it doesn't resolve to the same IP as the DNS-MX record.(I could be wrong about the type of DNS record), they will block it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

For now i just have a note for hotmail users to add the email address to their safe list until i find a proper fix!

• Advertisement
Advertisement