Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driving test question

Options
  • 19-06-2007 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

I have my test tomorrow, just 1 quick question,

When reservceing around corners do both hands have to be on the wheel ? Cos you have to look behind you and it's a little harded to hold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Use your mirrors. Your not supposed to be looking behind you the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

You can put your arm behind the passenger seat to assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

MAYPOP wrote:
    You can put your arm behind the passenger seat to assist you.

seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

NeVeR wrote:
    I have my test tomorrow, just 1 quick question,

When reservceing around corners do both hands have to be on the wheel ? Cos you have to look behind you and it's a little harded to hold.
    I'd keep both hands on the wheel. It's only one day, i'm sure you'll manage.;) Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Wossack wrote:
    seriously?

Yes, if you need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

You are also allowed to remove your seatbelt while reversing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I thought you could take you hand off and put in the top of the other seat,

Should i ask the tester? or will they think i'm stupid ?

NeVeR wrote:
    I thought you could take you hand off and put in the top of the other seat,
    If its a female instructor she will probably fail you for slipping the hand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

NeVeR wrote:
    Should i ask the tester? or will they think i'm stupid ?
    Ask your instructor. The tester won't tell you, his/her job is solely to conduct the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

As far as I know the rules have changed recently (well, the rules changed in 2004, but the new Rules of the Road booklet only came out recently ;)) and I think now you're not allowed *ever* take a hand of the wheel, except for changing gears, and when necessary for signalling in the case of broken indicators.

I might be wrong about that though..

However, you *definitely* can't take your seatbelt off to reverse any more. Absolutely positively can't do that. Only gardai, driving testers and people with a letter from their doctor can be in a car without a seatbelt on.

• Advertisement

microgirl wrote:
    However, you *definitely* can't take your seatbelt off to reverse any more. Absolutely positively can't do that. Only gardai, driving testers and people with a letter from their doctor can be in a car without a seatbelt on.
    According to the CIB : Last Updated: 5/12/2006

Exemptions from requirement to wear seatbelts
    1. If you are sitting on a seat that is not fitted with a safety belt

2. If you are driving and reversing your vehicle (i.e., moving your vehicle in a backward motion)

3. If you are giving instruction in or in respect of the driving of a vehicle (i.e., you are teaching someone else how to drive). This is another example of a case where it might not be so wise to avail of the leniency of the law.

4. If you are driving test examiner conducting a driving test

5. If you are a member of An Garda Siochana or the Defence Forces and are driving as part of your duties

6. If you hold a medical certificate signed by a qualified medical practitioner stating it is inadvisable on medical grounds you wear a seatbelt or child restraint

7. Babies and children under 4 years in back seats only that do not have appropriate child restraints fitted are also exempt from the requirements. Again, the responsible adult might decide to place a child in a child restraint system that is, perhaps, designed for a different weight bracket, judging this to be preferable to the child being un-restrained. The law does not prevent the use of good judgment in such a case. Neither does it, however, oblige us to force a child to use an inappropriate child restraint.

(With effect from 1st July, 2004 drivers of small public service vehicles (i.e., taxis) are required to wear seatbelts when driving these vehicles. Previously, they had been exempt from this provision).

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/roads-and-safety/using_seatbelts_when_motoring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Pretty sure they ammended that in the latest version of the Rules of the Road so that you can not take your seatbelt off at any time.

And in fairness, there should be no need to, if you can not reverse your car using your mirrors and by turning your head around then either you are in the wrong position or in the wrong car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Check page 35 of the current rules of the road. Reversing is not an exception for wearing a seat belt.

Both hands on the wheel, take your time. You will only do it once - you can reverse one handed all you like once you pass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

NeVeR wrote:
    It depends on the category of vehicle. If it's in category B, you will be expected to keep both hands on the wheel unless utilising a hand for gear changes, park brake, seatbelt etc.

nipplenuts wrote:
    Check page 35 of the current rules of the road. Reversing is not an exception for wearing a seat belt.
    The ROTR is merely a 'lay-mans' guide for road safety purposes (see page 9 ;)) and does not offer comprehensive answers. Check the Statute Instruments for the real thing.

the reason i asked it when i was doing the pre test, I found it hard to keep both hands on the wheel and look over my left shoulder....I did it 3 times in the pre test 1 good 1 bad and 1 ok,,,,

If i mess it up and only that part will i fall the whole test?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,342 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Moved to the appropriate forum. Good luck tomorrow, NeVeR!

just to let you all know i PASSED :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

NeVeR wrote:
    Congrats! How did you reverse around the corner in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Wossack

NeVeR wrote:

well done ;)

Thanks Guys

I just took it slow and it was fine,, thank god !!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement