Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Energy Fund

Options
  • 19-06-2007 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Greetings,

I'm pretty much a novice so you'll have to bare with me please. I see new energy and renewable energy as a real growth area in the coming years and I want to invest some money. I'm wondering what people think about this fund. What are the pitfulls of investing? Are there any other suggestions of green or new energy funds?

Thanks you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SteadyEddie

Hi,

I am a holder of the Merrill lynch new energy investment fund, and like you I see quite a lot of potential growth in the green/renewable energy sector. Although I do invest in a couple of green energy companies the bulk of my green holding is in MNE. The main pitfall of investing is that your investment can go up and down. In the case of this fund, it holds lots of companies so several companies under-performing will not affect the fund much. The advantage is, is that if there is general growth in the green sector - which i have to imagine will occur (G8, goverment pressure, Kyoto, public opinion etc) then this fund is well placed to grow if this does happen. There will be market ups and downs effecting the fund, it still loosely tracks the price for a barrell of oil, and its a volatile sector, but if you put money in and leave it for a year or 2, i would think that you may be plesantly suprised. This is all in my opinion tho, and i am sure there are some people who would have a different opinion & may feel the money is spent elsewear.

Advertisement